Acadamy, Hasegawa and Fujimi CF-18 comparison build

So, the winner........

#1 Academy. Something not mentioned, its the only one with VERY nice decal grill decals. Something I normally just do with a wash in a well molded kit as this, but very nice none the less. Also all the unused weapons come with decals which should work just as nice as the grills did.

The decals used on this plane are from Canmilair for the test plane when Canada modernized its CF-18s.

#2 Hasegawa. Mainly due to the high price of the Fujimi. Apart from the intakes most of the nice things provided in the other kits can be fixed up with basic modelling skills. And as for the intakes....Well, this is why we have intake and exhaust covers.

The decals used on this plane are from Leading Edge. The model is the 2007 demo plane.

#3 Fujimi. Not that it is that bad of a kit, it is rather nice. Its the price. And the nose, and especially the wing tanks.

The decals used on this plane are from Canmilair. The model is the 409 squadron reactivation scheme. This is also the only plane to have been ejected from twice. Rebuilt twice and continues to serve.

build56.jpg

OK, any questions?

Edited by phantom
  • 2 weeks later...
Question: In the Acad. 1/72 kit, can I do two complete jets from the one decal sheet?

Almost. Needs more formation lights and walkways. National markings you get 2 US sets......But its more fun doing them Canadian. Enough weapons markings for what comes in the box.

Still a rather nice looking sheet.

Es tut mir leid, aber; Wann werde wir Waffen sehen?

Eerrrrrrrrrrr.......Fuzzy bunny?................ Thanks?................ Errrrr......My hover craft is full of ells?

Please pick the responce that is closest. :thumbsup:

He said he won't buy the record. It is scratched.

Actually, he wants to know when you'll add armament. Literally: "I'm sorry, but when will we see weapons?"

In related news: I just ordered my first Academy Hornet yesterday from Lucky Model. More to follow.

He said he won't buy the record. It is scratched.

Actually, he wants to know when you'll add armament. Literally: "I'm sorry, but when will we see weapons?"

In related news: I just ordered my first Academy Hornet yesterday from Lucky Model. More to follow.

They all look great to me.

:thumbsup:

I have. But all I have remaining is Revell and Hasegawa. Not touching the Testors again. It went in the land of pink painted models years ago. The Revell builds up for a nice respectable and very affordable second. With Hasegawa coming in first, even with the triple price tag.

I had another one I also built years ago......might have been AMT I can't remember. Its also long since disposed of.

Not touching the Testors again. It went in the land of pink painted models years ago. The Revell builds up for a nice respectable and very affordable second.

The testors is crap? Is it the detail, the fit? I thought; "The only other recessed-detail 1:48 legacy hornet, and for $16! (didn't buy)" I though it looked okay from a couple reviews I'd read.

• 1 year later...

Your welcome. Weird thing................I have NO intention of ever building ANY of them again. I only do 1/48 now a days. In THAT case its pure Hasegawa for me. With the occasional Revel, and yet to try a Hobby Boss.

• 2 months later...

well just got the Academy today (found it for half-price at a local model shop) and boy am I gonna keep it til I know what to do with it. Looks great and something for me to get my teeth in to. May look around for some extra detail (different decals perhaps). Does anyone know what work I need to do to convert it into the 2-seat version?

well just got the Academy today (found it for half-price at a local model shop) and boy am I gonna keep it til I know what to do with it. Looks great and something for me to get my teeth in to. May look around for some extra detail (different decals perhaps). Does anyone know what work I need to do to convert it into the 2-seat version?

The academy kit is now available as a two-seat F-18d:

http://www.cybermodeler.com/hobby/kits/aca...aca_12422.shtml

The academy kit is now available as a two-seat F-18d:

http://www.cybermodeler.com/hobby/kits/aca...aca_12422.shtml

thanks - and looking at the sprue images there is a fair difference (apart from the obviously longer canopy there is a "shorter" upper spine which I have no chance of replicating - so will go with the single seat F-18C... might look at different markings and perhaps a littl AM (found the nozzles form Aires but nothing else - and have a thread on that question anyway so as not to clutter this one)

• 10 months later...

Note Academy also does an F/A-18A boxing for foreign service. Comes with A/B tails, the searchlight (you drill the hole) and 3 schemes, Canadian and Australian standard schemes and a Spanish Tiger Meet scheme. Everything in the C box is there as well.