32nd BK-117 B2 "Westpac Rescue"

Hello Felix my friend. Thank you so very much for that link!

He is doing an amazing job, really makes me look like an amature. Do you know where that photoetch came from? I have to try to get it somehow. Your translation would be very much appreciated.

I am still working on my BK and it is coming along well, I am working on all the interior panels down the port side at the moment to match the stbd side. Might put some photos up very soon myself.

Nice to hear from you

Cheers

Anthony

Edited by Anthony in NZ
Your translation would be very much appreciated.

Of course :D ....

Christian wrote:

POST 6th Nov 1:35 pm

"Hello hobby colleagues,

I'm new in this forum and follow it with big interest, especially in the area of helicopters.

My favourite Helicopter is the BK-117. Unfortunately the only the passably useable kit in 1:32 is the old Revell kit.

The cabin was redone for the Medicopter version, but as often critized in this forum, the fron cockpit section is not satistying so that scratchbuilding is the only opportunity to fulfil "higher demands" in detailing.

I know the original very well and started to design a echted parts set.

For this, I concentrated on the cockpit, the cabin floor, and the stuff in the bow as well as radar nose and wipers only. The rest of the kit is useable.

It should become the ADAC-bird D-HMUZ from Sande with a radar nose. On pictures, the for ADAC-, DRF-, and Police-a/c typical double visor (an additional extricable covering) can be recognized.

I constructed two versions of the instrument panel, an older version from 1999 and a modernized one from 2002.

The next project will be a Bell 205 A1 (civil UH-1D), which is also availble in 1:32 from Revell only.

Two pictures with the original model from Revell and a model with a newly done front and a paper caliber for the later etched windshield frame.

The Revell kit is not authentic as far as the nose is concerned- The nose is too cloddy and the windshield windows are too small. (see original photograph)

Except the missed front, the rest of the fuselage is, related to the age of the kit, amazingly well and fine detailed. The Bell will also receive a etched cockpit like the BK-117.

The Dragon-Kit is correct wit the proportions and comes with a correct nose, but the nuts and panel lines are too rough for my taste and the kit has addiotionally the less common scale 1:35.

I'm looking forward to comments.

POST 6th Nov 1:42 pm

"thank you for your accolade.

If there are enough interested people, I could think about the release of a small series

Concerning the EC-135 nothing is planned yet, First the Bell and then probably...!

But it will take a while as the design of the masters takes months.

Greetings from Möhn lake

Chris"

POST from 6th Nov 4:49 pm

"Hello Patrick,

thx for the compliment. The radar nose is roughly ready. The wipers will follow during the next days.

Best wishes Chris"

POST 7th Nov 10:06

"Hello Leif,

thx for your accolades.

You're right, there is a good etched panel for the UH-1D in the dragon kit, but it is in 1:35 and doesn't really fit.

Moreover, the Germany versios (Bundeswehr, Bundesgrenzschutz and most civil versions) have black panels

The grey one can mostly be found with older US-a/c

Greetings

Chris"

POST 7th Nov 10:08 pm

"Hello George,

thx for your interest, I will inform you, if a possible release will come into near future.

Greetings"

Post 11th Nov 9:05 pm

" Hello Hobby colleagues,

some photos of the building progress following. It goes ahead slowly, but at least a bit.

The second panel of the older version (until ca. 2002) is ready

There are two enhancements:

1. a real glazing for the instruments

2. an improved caution-panel with visible caution lights

[pictures]

The warning lights are clearly visible on the console

These indicators glow together with the two master-cautions on the right and left above the instruments (see below)and the battery status lights.

[picture]

In the background the already shown panel for the version from 2002 onwards and in the foreground the new one from 2002. The difference is an other arragement of some instuments in the center part and an integrated GPS since 2002. (low right of the console)

[picture]

some interior shots

[pictures]

The prototypes of the wipers,changes with the actuators will follow.

[pictures]

Have fun watching the pictures and I'm looking forward again for your comments

Greetings"

POST 11th Nov 10:27 pm:

"Hello Silver,

thx, I'm always happy if my work is appreciated.

I would like to complete the prototype first. Only by this I recognize possible mistakes, which I can correct then. Then we will see whats going on.

But it emerges that a short- run poduction of this set seems to be possible.

But it will take time, I will inform you.

Greetings"

Hi Felix

Thank you very much my friend. That is a lot of typing for you, I am very greatful you have done this.

I am going to try and register to the forum so I can contact him about my project and maybe we can help each other out.

I am thankful for your help, it is very interesting indeed.

Cheers

Anthony

Hi guys

Well it has been a while since my last update............I have actually been working on it!

Most of the work lately has been on concentrating on the interior panels down the port side. As you can see that last panel (that Revell moulded on the equipment on) has had it all removed leaving me with a big hole. I curved up some plastic card to match the panel curvature and spliced in a new piece. The rest is being done as per the other side.

IMG_6749.jpg

You can see in this pic that I am in the process of blending it all together.

Notice in the next photos that the left/port side bulkhead is a different shape to the stbd just behind the front doors.

img_5033_01.jpg

IMG_6744.jpg

IMG_6747.jpg

IMG_6751.jpg

IMG_6752.jpg

IMG_6757.jpg

IMG_6756.jpg

Thanks for dropping by for a look

Cheers

Anthony

Edited by Anthony in NZ
  • 4 weeks later...

Once again your work is outstanding Anthony. I forgot to tell you that on the 18th of November the family and I flew over to Tasmania for a holiday and you wouldn't believe it, but sitting on the apron of the heliport was a BK117 Westpac Rescue chopper. If it wasn't for the fact that we were a little rushed on our arrival I would've taken some pics for you.

When's the next update as I need a fix?

Regards

Andrew

Hiya Andrew, nice to hear from you mate!

I am nearly ready for another update, been doing work on the skid openings, a moulded on spotlight on the belly(under pilots seat and tidying up the interior......

Just brought me an Auster T7 to rebuild, yes 1:1 scale. So the ol BK was a little slow whilst I was sorting a few things. She is still in Brisbane at the mo.......

But work is back full steam on the BK again

Cheers and thanks for asking

Anthony

Hi Guys

Well as promised here is another update, thingswere a little slow with one thing and another. Having said that, the work done actually took me a while.

On the port rear interior panel was moulded with equipment on it. This BK dosent have this particular style medical fit-out. I have now blended in all of the panels, and carefully restored the panel lines. The last panel has now been glued in place in prep for making a new floor and more panelling. I am really pleased at how it has come up, even though it has been a lot of work.

IMG_6932.jpg

IMG_6914.jpg

Next up came a spotlight that is situated in the belly of this machine under the pilots seat.

IMG_5819-1.jpg

I marked out the centre after measuring up the postion on the real machine and a large hole was drilled out. A piece of 5.5mm plastic rod was taken and a 3mm hole drilled through the centre and carefully reamed out a fraction more to the right lens dia. A piece of larger tube was truncated and a triangular section was layed over one end and glued. This assy was then slid through at about a 40deg angle carefully trimming to get a precise fit and use as little filler as possible. The purpose of the larger piece on the end ensured that I was able to replicate the scalloped interior leading up to the front face as the light is set into the fuse. I have brushed some Mr Surfacer 500 around the edges to blend it all in (still needs buffing back) then trimmed the top where it protruded into the fuselage so the floor will fit later. This was a lot harder than it looks to get spot on and really took me ages.

IMG_6926.jpg

IMG_6930.jpg

Next up that I saw that needed attention was the skid openings. They are way too small. The actual dimensions in 32nd scale is 4mm(horizontal)X5.5mm(vertical) with the lower line slightly curved. The skid dia is 3mm (95mm actual). I needed plates on the front and rear faces so the openings had to be just wide enough to slide a 10thou shim down each side. These protruding 'triangles'were then sanded up to round the corners off. I still have to put a hex bolt head on the corner of each one.

IMG_6918.jpg

I think that these little details will make all the difference on the end result. I have made a stand to sit her on during construction as well. I am working on the other upper windscreen frame at the moment and then I might look at the gutter tracks on the upper door track fairing. I think I am going to make new vertical stabs too.......

IMG_6927.jpg

IMG_6929.jpg

IMG_6925.jpg

Thanks for looking and the encouragement you guys give me, it really spurs me on.

Cheers

Anthony

Edited by Anthony in NZ

Hi Anthony.

I've been following this build from the start from somewhere in the back row, but today I just had to comment.

The latest pictures show just how much work you have done. I'd like to do something like this myself but to see the white/yellow plastic ratio of your model even at this early stage of your project scares the crap out of me!

Anyway, I just wanted to say that you are doing some really interesting things to improve your model but what impresses me the most is the quality of your work. Perhaps it's just the pleasure of seeing something done well. You must get a lot of satisfaction from being able to build to such a high standard of quality.

Not pissing in your pocket, just genuinely impressed and looking forward to the next installment.

Cheers

Nick

Hi there David & Nick

Thanks guys for your comments, I really appreciate it.

David I am looking forward to seeing your EC-135 on here some time too.

Nick, thanks mate, dont let what I have done scare you, the hardest part was actually figuring out what needed fixing and how to do it. After that it was just a matter of slowly doing it, it is quite easy....oh and not being too scared to hack up an EC-145 kit, thankfully they arent too expensive. I try to keep my work tidy so I wont get too many suprises when I come to priming/undercoating everything later. I just feel a little bad that I work sooo slow, as a lot of guys around here work to such a high std and do it 3x faster than me! If you want to do this to yours I will be more than happy to help where I can.

Well, I finished off the port side framework on the top of the windscreen last night. I had to be careful so as to keep everything in perfect alighnment when viewed from all angles. She is all glued in now and isnt going anywhere. I will post a pic later tonight.

Thanks again guys

Cheers

Anthony

Anthony, keep up the amazing work on this model. It looks like it has the makings of one of the finest helicopter models........... ever! Don't worry about finishing the model too quickly. You will have years to admire the finished build.

LD.

Thanks LD, and a good point mate, I really want to see it finished too!

I am trying to decide when I rescribe her wether to use my "Rosie the Riveter" or try these Archer rivet decals, any thoughts. I have never seen the decals before, are they any good?

Quickly snapped a couple of pics of the upper windscreen framework finished, quite happy with it as it turned out to be quite a tricky job.

IMG_6939-1.jpg

IMG_6938.jpg

IMG_6941-1.jpg

Cheers for now

Anthony

:) g'day Anthony,

I thought I'd put up a few pics of our Hunter Region Westpac BK-117 for comparison sake. These were all taken at John Hunter Hospital last Sunday. They were dropping off a doctor and flight nurse. Both the Region's choppers had gone to what was called as a serious a road accident near Singleton. Tragically, the 17 year female driver this chopper was to retrieve passed away at the scene and they could not revive her. As I was existing the Hospital campus I heard the other chopper (Bell 412) arriving with her 18 year female old friend who was critically injured. Onto the pics.

The first shot shows the chopper approaching the pad.

IMG_3906.jpg

Next a couple of in sequence shots showing a missed touchdown. The wind was gusting and backing and veering quite strongly.

IMG_3909.jpg

IMG_3910.jpg

Next, safely down.

IMG_3911.jpg

The crewman closing up before take off.

IMG_3916.jpg

And finally an after lift off shot.

IMG_3921.jpg

:salute:,

Ross.

Hi Ross

Great photo's thanks for posting them. These guys do a fantastic job dont they, sad about the girl who didnt make it though. I reakon these guys are our modern unsung heroes. I was chatting to one of the rescue guys the othe other day, and what they go through is amazing....just a job he said, but I got the impression it was more than that to him. These guys really do seem proud of what they do and always so eager to help or chat about their chopper etc.

I see this one has a different winch than most of our NZ operated ones, this looks very much like the EC-145 style and mounted on the stbd side. We have one of the latest machines (ZK HLN) fitted with a similar arrangement. Seems to make more sense to have the winch on the pilots side so he can see what he is doing better!

Thanks for the pics, thay are great

Cheers

Anthony

To quote Nick:

The latest pictures show just how much work you have done. I'd like to do something like this myself but to see the white/yellow plastic ratio of your model even at this early stage of your project scares the crap out of me!

- What he said!!! I couldn't even imagine taking on a job like this. You are doing a wonderful job.

Not pissing in your pocket, just genuinely impressed and looking forward to the next installment.

- "Pissing in your pocket"? Hmmm..... I just love those British / Aussie sayings. Don't have the faintest idea what it means but it just sounds funny. Gotta find a way to use that in a conversation this week :thumbsup:

Edited by 11bee

11bee

"Not pissing in your pocket, just genuinely impressed and looking forward to the next installment."

- "Pissing in your pocket"? Hmmm..... I just love those British / Aussie sayings. Don't have the faintest idea what it means but it just sounds funny. Gotta find a way to use that in a conversation this week :whistle:

This is the Aussie equivalent of 'kissing arse' :woot.gif:

Regards

Andrew :rolleyes:

Hey Anthony,

it´s me, Georg from Germany.

How´s it goin´?

I saw the pics above of the sharpnosed bk, it looks awsome.

I guess that´s my nxt projekt if cakemixer gets his bk-nose scratched and in production :-)

Where do you get your decals from? Do u print them by yourself?

Any chance to get some detailed pics from you to have a look on all the stickers on the original one. So I could find them as a jpg in the www and print them for the exterior finish.

Thanks a lot

Hey Georg, nice to see you here mate!

I have a friend who is doing the decals for me and much of the artwork is already done. Were you wanting to do a Westpac one like mine? I am sure I can get a set for you if you want.

Hows the weather in Germany at the mo? I saw the work on your 32nd EC-145 using the Renaissaince set, nice work. I am going to treat the new glazing like any other vac canopy and cut it just outside where it needs to be and gently trim/sand to shape and size. Leave that white film on until the last minuite it will help protect the transparencies.

Cheers

Anthony

Edited by Anthony in NZ

hi,

yes I´d like to do the bk shown above on the pics with the sharp nose next.

If you might finish a kit for me, sure. I´d be glad.

I´ll try it like you dexcribed with the vacuumed canopy and let you all know how it went.

Do you have a pic of the decals set?

How much didi you pay for it? Good quali?

Hey LD, thanks for the link....awesome footage, and of course great music to match it!

They do an awesome job dont they

Will have another update either today or tomorrow on my build. I have been working on the airframe surface details. Added the plates/clips for the oxygen bottle in the side as well as the plate for the winch mounting bracket as well as a myriad of vent and drains etc....

Cheers and thanks for the great link. Those guys are the Aussie brothers of our Kiwi counterparts.

Anthony