32nd BK-117 B2 "Westpac Rescue"

Ok ok, here are some photos. Sorry the quality is not so good.

So I had a spare set of EC-135 skids that I thought would do the job after modifying and cutting down to shape as per previous posts.

IMG_5826-1.jpg

Well that didnt work well as I just couldnt get the sections to line up perfectly. Eventually I got a piece of 3mm tube and grafted the front section on with a pin and superglue. Yhis was all blended in and then the centreline of the first vertical tube was marked out (from skid tip back = 25mm). A curve was filed out of that and the previous tube I made was jigged and set at the correct angle. Then another curve was cut out 59mm back to the rear tube centre and the rear tube set and glued in my jig. Finally the rear end was cut off 12mm from the rear tube centreline.

The joints were then blended in with Mr Surfacer and all sanded to the correct shape. I then got another section of the skid tube and reamed out the centre to make it wafer thin. I then slit it and slipped it over the skid tube. Being the same diameter it left a small gap with which I put the wee block in that sits on the top of those hose type clips. There is a panel join under the vertical tubes on the lower skid side.

For this I placed a thin strip of plastic card and blended in the top side to the tube join. A step was made with a piece of channel on the bottom with the edges thinned so that it would slot nicely over the skid and ends put on it. Finally a tip was put on the rear of the skid. I have been putting the clips and mounting brackets on for the step mid way up the skids.

IMG_8394-1.jpg

IMG_8397-1.jpg

Does all this make sence??? Hopefully the pics will explain better

IMG_8762.jpg

IMG_8767.jpg

IMG_8764.jpg

I set it all up on my jig so as to assure I get the correct "sit". The main skid centres are 2.440M or in 32nd = 76.25mm. The height of the belly in line with the rear skid is exactly 10mm and 13.75mm for the front. This will ensure your BK will sit right.......hope those measurements help those of you building one.

And here they are roughly sitting in the fuse................now for port side!

IMG_8761.jpg

IMG_8760.jpg

There are still a few details to be worked on still.

As always, thanks for dropping by.

Cheers

Anthony

Edited by Anthony in NZ

Hi Anthony.

Stunning skid.....Impressive work. What a magazine that features a model in progress. Thats a fatastic idea. That cockpit is just too perfect.

Anthony, Where is your photoetched work? Did u start?

Your helo is definetly top notch work.

Oliver

Hey, Tim, Ed and Oliver.................thanks guys for the nice feedback.

Oliver I have started on the etch and when I have more to show I will post it for you.........I Know its killing a lot of you not seeing any brass etch yet!

I really dont want to rush and risk ruining it.

Thanks again

Cheers

Anthony

• 1 month later...

Thanks again for the comments guys.

Well, I bet you all thought I had chucked it back in the box to do something else? Been a while since my last update as I have had family over to stay with us from England and Australia. They have all gone now and I spent the last week on the BK.

First off, here are some slightly better (just)pics of the skids, they are both pretty much done now but still need a few small details added like rivets etc

IMG_9099.jpg

IMG_9100.jpg

Spent a fair bit of time this week figuring out how to make the rear clambshell doors look better as they are a bit slab like on the edges. I ran a half round across the bottom edge as well as glueing a thin strip of square section card around the edges, but only about a third of the way in (leaving 2/3 inboard). I then sanded and blended it into the door edge and then filed the outside flush. A coat of Mr Surfacer again blends it all in nicely. Now it has a 'lip' around the edges as per the actual ones.

IMG_5413-1.jpg

IMG_9097.jpg

IMG_9095.jpg

Edited by Anthony in NZ

Next up was to again deal with the floor. I almost had it all fitting right, but it needed final tweaking to fit nicely. A front bulkhead was installed with 2 holes to accept the torque pedal tubes on either side. The floor also protrudes past this bulkhead as well, so a piece was measured, glued and faired into the floor. There is a panel that sits on this BK's floor that has the holes cut out for the 6 tie-down points. Now was time to measure up their positions and drill 6 2mm holes in a floor panel I made (4 times no less to get the shapes/ cut outs all in the right places!).

IMG_9101.jpg

In this photo you can see the floor extension and bulkhead with the holes drilled out.

IMG_9087.jpg

IMG_9086.jpg

Next up was the covers for the cyclic and torque pedals etc that are installed on the passengers/spotters side of the cockpit.

IMG_5815-1.jpg

There was actually a bit of work in these even though it dosent look like it. Especially the big 'T' shaped one. My drawings and measurements took a lot of head scratching as well (mental note.........make better/ more clearer sketches!). I went back down to see the chopper and spotted a small detail I would have missed as well as a new antenna fit under the belly.....grrrrr.

Anyway here they are made

IMG_9083.jpg

And here they are installed

IMG_9091.jpg

IMG_9093.jpg

Thanks for dropping by

Cheers

Anthony

Thanks Andrew, yes indeed I have folded up a few bits of brass now, but will post when I have more to show.

Ment to add that I have grafted the nose lamp section off the EC-145 into belly of the BK. Will post a pic next time.

Cheers

Anthony

Edited by Anthony in NZ

Hi Anthony.

I love the skids. What are you going to use for rivets? Everytime I see a new update on your helo I just cant believe how talented you are....Kind of anvious sometimes...I d love to see some in progress photos while you are making the plastic parts. Are you going tp sctatchbuild the rotor and blades too.

love your work.

Oliver

Hi Oliver...........you are too kind mate.

I have a selection of items to use for rivets and bolt heads. I have a selection of Archer types as well as some tiny resin ones cast on a block which I have no idea where they came from. As well as some small p etch Eduard ones. I have to see which ones work for each application.

I am modifying the EC-145 blades to make BK ones and use the EC kit as a basis for my rotor head. The Reniassiance set has etch for the main and tailrotors. I think the bell housing under the cowl will need scratchbuilding as neither of the kits have acceptable parts. In fact the EC only has a flat blanking plate that glues inside the upper cowl that the rotorhead and swashplates attach to.

I have converted one blade and it came up really good, there was a bit of work in it..........3 more to go!

Thanks again Oliver

Cheers

Anthony

Anthony,

Once again, you never cease to amaze me. Your work is simply fantastic! I know the covers for the dual flight controls in our EC-135 quite well, as I kick them regularly when entering/egressing the aircraft. Nice job on your set for the BK. Every time we have a BK in our hangar(we are the regional maintenance facility for the Northeastern US) I think of your project. Our mechanics are probably sick of hearing me ramble on about how highly detailed and well executed your project is(LOL). They also keep asking me when I am going to start our EC-135? My wife is having major surgery soon, so I am preparing the house, kids, finances, laundry, etc. - little time for modeling right now. I will in the mean time, vicariously enjoy your progress, and that of the other members here on the ARC... Keep up the great work. I look forward to seeing your updates.

David

Oh wow, thanks guys.................dont know what to say except I wish I worked faster to give you guys more frequent updates.

Todd, thanks mate....................hows that 412 looking?

John, I cant wait to see the interior completed either, this interior stuff is driving me nuts!

David, I know what you mean with time etc. I hope your wifes surgery goes well for her you and your family. These things are far more important. Funny you say about that cover, one of the guys here said the same thing! I sometimes wonder if I am a pain to the engineers. I try to keep my distance and do my thing, but when I go in all the guys seem really pleased to see me and want to stand around chatting, which is really nice.

Thanks again

Cheers all

Anthony