32nd BK-117 B2 "Westpac Rescue"

Thanks Shawn.....ordered mate!

Do you have any Archer rivets? I am curious on your thoughts about the micro mark rivets. I have been told they do not compare to Archer in quality.

• 1 year later...

Hey Greg

Thanks for asking mate. I have been slowly still working on the BK, but for the time put in I don't really have much to show from the last set of pics.

The guys who market this real helicopter also called me today to ask if I was close to finishing as they had some sponsorship changes and had the new artwork for me! I am constantly feeling the pressure to finish (and I really want to!) but am struggling to find the time amongst my other projects and family life.

Anyway, don't give up on me I am always tinkering on it. There is a big rescue show on in a couple of weekends and she will be there putting on a big display. Hopefully it will inspire me to dump all other projects and finish this off!

Thanks for asking, I really appreciate it.

Stay tuned

Cheers

Anthony

Hi Anthony. It is good to hear that you are still tinkering with your BK117. After Oliver's now-finished Huey and Floyd's current MH-47, this the other BIG build that we all want to see finished.

And when it is, you can then work your magic on that Revell OH-6A I sent you. I even have some new info on an interesting Aussie Hughes 500 that might be of interest. :thumbsup:

LD.

Anthony,

Good to see you still working on this one. Look forward to seeing it completed. But, my friend- do not fear. I am working at finishing a 30+ year project. When I joined the fire department in 1981, we had a '79 Dodge Powerwagon brush truck. It is still owned by the department, though retired from fire service duty. It is a very detailed project. At the time, I lacked the skills and knowledge to build it. I have recently dug it out in hopes of completing it before it leaves the department.

8016-01.jpg

picsay-1389670649.jpg

I know this is a helicopter forum, but it's never too late to finish a project!

David

Thanks Anthony

I will keep a look out for your updates .

I'm just about to start on a 1/32 BK117 and a scratch built 1/7 scale RC Heli .

I'm doing the RACQ-Careflight-Rescue from the Sunshine Coast (QLD)

I have done all the graphics for it with CorelDRAW

RACQ-Careflight-Rescue_zps4341d07a.png.

Greg

Greg,

That looks sharp! I look forward to following your progress!

David

Hey guys, thanks again.

David/Greg, your projects look to be pretty awesome indeed....both subjects of great interest to me. Make sure you keep us posted on your progress, I would love to see how they come out.

LD, yes mate, keen to do a 500 one day as a deer recovery machine with net guns etc.....oh and then there is the 412 and a Westpac Rescue Longranger conversion....life is too short!!!

Thanks again, I have some BK cockpit parts back on the bench again!

Cheers

Anthony

Oh, that new Revell EC-135 (32nd) looks nice dosent it?

• 3 months later...

OK, Shock-horror! I have the bench clear for the BK again! I have been trying to figure out the nose, something just didnt seem right so after some time I have found out what it is. The nose should taper in more forward of the doot. Not much but enough to 'tweak it to get it correct. I think the plastic is thick enough to sand it back to the correct shape. The nose had me stumped actually, I knew there was something amiss but even with the measuring tape I could not identify it. Sometimes it is just in the contours that throws things off even if it is measuring correctly. Now this is figured out I can get cracking again on the cockpit. I desperately want to close her up.

I have now started working on the inst panel structure and will post some pics when I have more to show. I have also touched up a couple of little sink marks in my filling and it is coming up well.

Thanks for all your support. Greg I am happy to have someone cast the front fairing if there is anyone out there who wants to do it.

Cheers

Anthony

Edited by Anthony in NZ

Thanks mate, much appreciated, now I have the nose contour sorted I am flat out building cockpit structure. Half the battle is trying to figure out how it all looks behind the main panel and front end of the foot wells. The penny dropped about something last night whilst lying in bed thinking about it, so I now have more of a plan moving forward, that along with the photoetch from Chris in Germany, I have figured a few things out.

Thanks again LD, appreciate the feedback as always!!

Norbert, just saw your reply, thanks mate, I am getting some cockpit structure underway as we speak, so hopefully a photo update soon.

Darn, have to go to work now and dream about working on it again!

Cheers

Anthony

Edited by Anthony in NZ

Hey guys, thanks for the responses!!! I am having so much fun with this build again.

I am ready to take some photos again, I rebuilt the centre consul again as I couldn't get it right. Now I am happy with how it looks. When I take the pics you will also notice I have made a whole new structure in the footwells sidewalls.

Rod, loving your new MD500 your work is inspiring, Maurizio, thanks mate....still following the 412! Ray, as always mate that means a lot coming from you. Niek, great progress on your BK, hows the new SAR job going?

Give me a day to take some photos and you will see my progress.

Cheers and thanks guys

Anthony

Ok a photo update as promised. I am sorry you cant see a lot in these pics, but I have been test fitting, trimming and more test fitting etc. Finally I am close to where I need to be before adding more photoetch.

I will take some more pics in a few days when everything is out again and not all crammed in the front fuselage. But I was so pleased at how the cockpit structure is shaping up and all fitting together. I just had to snap some pics before bed.

Ok here you go

bk1012_zpsa8d57ae3.jpg

bk1010_zpsfe43c98d.jpg

bk1011_zpsb3e04c72.jpg

Test fitting photoetch panel...nearly there

bk1007_zpse34425b7.jpg

As you can see...I still have to sort this depth perception thing again!

bk1005_zpse8b88a55.jpg

bk1008_zpsefc405c7.jpg

bk1004_zpsf78d2038.jpg

Ok so I will sort the centre consul out then I have to make the last NACA intake for the cockpit fresh air on the stbd side. Also I have figured out how to deal with the windows in the nose footwells....more on that later.

I am dying to get more into this photoetch from Chris.

Thanks for looking in gents, I will post some different ones in a few days of those scratchbuilt bits in the nose when they are out.

Any advice always appreciated...honestly!

Cheers

Anthony

Thanks Norbert, really appreciated.

Yes not much is left of the original Revell BK kit is there! I had no idea when I started this project it was going to be quite this involved. Having said that, it has been a lot of fun so far.

Next though I REALLY want to do a big Bell 412 conversion from the Revell 32nd Huey.

Cheers

Anthony

Ok, so regarding the footwell window situation, I need somehow build a frame for the vac glazing to sit on and look like the actual thing. I am cutting the frame from an old kit I use for practicing fitting parts to, templating etc on for this build. I am then going to thin this frame down and then cut the one out of the kit. Then I will add the floating anchor nuts to the inside(that affixes the screen to the frame on the real machine)and glue this into the fuse. The theory is that if I slightly rebate this like I have done on the other windows I can insert the vac ones that have been carefully trimmed to shape to finish up looking like this...

Exterior, note the way the screen protrudes out from the skin

Img_4424_zps508ddf92.jpg

Interior, note the rebate with the floating anchor nuts

Img_5813_zpscdea05ef.jpg

Anyway, on to the pics, they should explain better

bk1001_zps0ceab4a7.jpg

bk1003_zps3c573b09.jpg

bk1004_zpsca403866.jpg

bk1002_zpsd480b6fe.jpg

Thanks for your patience......

Cheers

Anthony