32nd BK-117 B2 "Westpac Rescue"

Anthony,

I have been contiplating the same method for the chin bubbles on my Bell 412. I found this tool by Sujiborido called the BMC Danmo that I think would make a very even groove. Given the price they are asking, I might try making one myself first.

BMCDanmo_zpse3d8cbd1.jpg

Thanks Ray....cant help myself counting rivets, just like you mate!! I build some pretty quick builds with my son but I love the details when I work on my own. Work like you do on your Hueys is what I love....keep it up!

Hey Tod, that looks like a great tool, never seen one before. I have inserted the window frames now, but would have liked to have tried that first. Who sells them?

Window frames are now in and the nose sanded to a new 'slightly' pointier profile with a slight modification to the lower window shape. I am going to shoot some Mr Surfacer later today and will post an update.

Cheers

Anthony

Ok,good news and bad news.........

Good news is that the new profile nose and window frames came up awesome.

The bad news is that my compressor went 'POP' just as I finished spraying the Mr Surfacer!! Can anyone recommend a good type of compressor that is quiet? My old dead one was really noisy and kept my family awake at night when I am burning the midnight oil....so me thinks it is time for change.

Photos tomorrow

Cheers

Anthony

Decided to quickly snap some pics.

Here is the window frame cut from the old parts kit and thinned down

bk1001_zpsefbf13dc.jpg

One is installed now with the other to be fitted. I took this photo to specifically show the area of the nose that was sanded in to a pointer shape and corrected the window shape as well as the blending into the top of the nose.

bk1006_zps18d4452d.jpg

Inside view

bk1007_zps658e9337.jpg

Everything refinished in Mr Surfacer and reassembled to test

bk1009_zpsa430ffe3.jpg

Got to finish off that NACA cold air intake

bk1011_zps5d3ba8ae.jpg

Side view

bk1013_zps14e1b6c5.jpg

Thanks for looking

Cheers

Anthony

Amazing progress Anthony, well impressed! Would you be able to go a bit more into deph in your techniques on scratchbuilding items such as your lower windows?

SAR job is going well so far, starting with the S-92 typerating tomorrow, should get me to be operational in a few months :) Until then sadly no building for me, but I'm enjoying yours way too much anyway!

Thanks mate, much appreciated! It was you that actually got me back into this project.....so thank you :thumbsup:

Really pleased to hear your new job is going well!

I am helping my friend Chris in Germany with his fuselage and I have made a template for setting the fuse/skids on the chopper to orient the correct angles and span of the skids. The BK has a unique 'sit' and it is important to get that right. I can make you a template for your project as I crawled all over the ground taking lots of measurements for the jig. Or I could just do a drawing here for you and anyone else that wants to do the same, it was pretty easy to make.

More than happy to describe any techniques on the windows, but not sure what parts you mean, the frames I just made? Let me know and I will see if I can explain better.

Cheers

Anthony

You're more than welcome! :coolio:/>/>

A template for the stand would be a great beginning, perhaps we can see if we can get the Dropbox going?

I'll try to make a list of things (don't worry, I'll start off with a small one) I could use more info and guidance on. Might take a while as I'm stuck in a hotel for the next few weeks, with limited access to my files and photos. ;)/>/>

Ciao

Niek

Edited by SeakingPilot

Thanks guys, slow progress this week as I have been doing a fair bit of on line research for a new car. Got that sorted and it's back to the BK!

Had to rework the centre consul a bit this week, think it is sorted now.

CJ as for the punch and die set I think I got it from Great Models?? It is a Waldron one and I have their sub miniature version as well. Can't model without it, you gotta get one. But sorry I don't know where to get them from now, eBay is probably worth a look.

Photos shouldn't be far away.

Cheers and thanks guys

Anthony

• 2 weeks later...

Will take some pics later today to show progress.

Now, the reason I posted without pics is because I have just used 2 products that I have never used before and was really happy with the results. Firstly I used Microscale Metal Foil Adhesive and it did a fantastic job giving you a little 'adjustment' time whilst working with the photoetch.

The second product I used was Mr Metal Primer. This is another from their stable of awesome products(I use Mr Color for practically all my painting). This stuff is like water and I brushed it over my metal parts, once dry you could barely tell it had been applied. I then shot Mr Surfacer 1200 on it and it came up very smooth and ready for paint. I have been handling the centre consul quite a bit whilst I have been fitting the various switches and it has sustained no damage or wear. All good in my book.

Cheers and thanks for following along as always.

Cheers

Anthony

Edited by Anthony in NZ

Haha, trust you Oliver.....cant sneak one past you!

Well, you have heard the saying to STOP before you wreck something....

I decided that before I take the photo's I would paint it and show you guys how good it all came out so I could do a REALLY good update. Well, It started out ok, then went from bad to worse!!!

Belynda kept telling me, put it down Anthony and look at it again tomorrow, but me being me and being somewhat pigheaded :bandhead2: decided that I could 'sort it'. You know, she was right, darn it! I hate it when that happens.

So now I gotta try and paintstrip this blasted centre consul and start it again. Trouble is that I am unsure what to strip it with as there is some acetate film in the panel simulating digital displays.

Any thoughts???.....apart from putting it back in the box and finishing something else???

Oh and any ideas for simulating really tiny stenciling on cockpit placards?

I am going to ask over at LSP as these are pretty much the only 2 places I post.

Cheers

Anthony

Good to see you still working on this Anthony. As for stripping paint...there is a product called Purple Power that I have used with successful results. Now, I didn't have acetate film to worry about at the time of stripping paint. So, testing is in order before using on your pit. HTH

Mike

http://www.clean-rite.com/purplepower_industrial_strength_cleaner_degreaser.html

Thanks guys!

Mike & Oliver I will try and take a pic on the weekend. Things have been a little busy here as I am going on holiday with my Wife, son and friends to Rarotonga on Monday and wont have internet connection :crying2: I know...sad. I am gonna have internet modelling withdrawls!!!! I am sure I can track an internet café down!

To be honest I haven't felt like looking at it after that. I had a friend over and he looked at it and said it was brilliant, don't know whether he was just saying that to make me feel better, but it dosent look too bad after sulking about it for a week!

Cheers

Guys

• 9 months later...

This one is for Oliver....yes there is still life left in this project!! Just sprayed yesterday, have to mask off the hub to spray titanium and the leading edge strip...

bki%20005_zpskzdleg7r.jpg

Edit: That white is hard to photograph with my limited skills!

Edited by Anthony in NZ
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks guys, LD I struggle to get a nice sharp edge as well, without getting buildup on the tape for me is tough. What I tend to do is spray most of the area to a solid colour then (spraying very slightly away from the tape edge) is very lightly build up with extra thinned colour. I found you don't need to get the same density of colour (I know is sounds strange) and it looks slightly odd before you remove the masking tape as you see a very slight variation in tone. However when you remove the tape.....the slight variation disappears as the colour next to it gives such a contrast. I don't know if that makes sense but it works for me and I am sure others have better suggestions (which I am definitely open to!)

David you are too kind mate, what I do is nothing special, anyone can do it as I know you can. It works both ways as I am inspired by the work here as well!

I have repainted the centre consul now and very slightly added some wear (that you cant really see) I just need to find a way of putting tiny white words on it. I am working on a 24th Airfix Mosquito over at LSP as well. But work has definitely continued on this BK. I have done a little scribing on the fuselage and tested some Archer rivets in prep to start riveting the outside.

Stay tuned and thanks again guys

Cheers

Anthony