32nd BK-117 B2 "Westpac Rescue"

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

WOW !! Really amazing work..I have been reading this super thread and your work is outstanding...

The photos of the real thing are FABULOUS..

you shlould load them and post them in the HELICOPTER SECTION OF THE PARKING LOT in RESEARCH fORUM on ARC..

They are amazing to look at..

Keep up the brilliant work Sir :thumbsup:

HOLMES :salute:

Has anyone heard from Anthony since that big Earth quake a few weeks ago in March?

I see he live in Christchurch and as I'm sure you all know, Christchurch was devistated in March with a massive quake.

There was a thread here asking how he was shortly after the NZ earthquake. He reported that he and his family were fine. Shortly after the NZ quake though, he had a business trip to Japan. He was also caught in the Japan quake and was further delayed by the nuclear leak there. He made it through that fine as well. He has vowed to stay home and away from any other fault zones though.

• 4 months later...

Hi Guys

Well I suppose it is a shock to see this thread rise again from the ashes.....so to speak!

I was just at the NZ Nationals and was asked by soooooooo many people (most of whom I did not know) when I was going to finish this model. It was a little overwhelming for me that so many were interested in this.

I just needed a change of pace for a while as I was getting to the point where I was just not enjoying it when I came back from Tokyo. And for me if it aint fun, there aint no point forcing yourself to carry on as I tend to rush and make mistakes in order to get things finished.

So she is back out on the desk (still in her airtight container) to work on again.

I am just finishing off a 1/48 Harvard I got asked to build for a friend (was his grandads plane) and then back to it. This time I am going to do some little bits on my 32nd Trumpeter A-4K Skyhawk build in between so that I can keep myself moving along.

I have always been not far from this Helicopter forum as they are a real passion for me. I have been in touch already with the marketing guy for the chopper and he is presently doing all the files so I can get decals done.

So, you should start to see some progress happening in the not to distant future.

Cheers and thanks for your patience.

Anthony

Anthony,

Great to see you back! Glad to hear that you are doing well. Look forward to seeing your updates as time permits. I know the feeling of not wanting to make a mistake on a project. This is what has kept me from finishing sooooo many projects. I am working through this though... I am trying to wrap up many existing projects - some over twenty years in the making. Welcome back my friend!

David

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks again guys

Well it has been a bit of a challenge trying to figure out where I got up to and where I was going next!!!

Decided to work on the cockpit area again as I am about to start folding up some photoetch in that area. Just made the centre support frame down the centre of the windscreen and set it at the correct angle so that I can vac a curved piece of the upper interior frame. I have started shaping up some resin blocks to vac them.

I have one upper quarter panel that I need to make, but I cant remember how I made the first one....even after looking back at photos. I am sure that once I get going on it, then it will all come back (hopefully)!

I really want to glue the floor in as this lets me get some final shape into the structure and can start adding some final details and paint before closing it up.

Once I get some more visual progress this weekend I will add some pics.

Cheers

Anthony

Hey Anthony,

Good to see you back. I've been away for a while myself. It's easy to get caught up with life. I sure hope you will be posting more pictures. Hint-hint-elbow-elbow. ;-) I love following your projects. It always helps me spark ideas.

Hope all is well with family and home.

John

• 4 months later...

Hi Anthony. Any news on this build? I miss the updates on this build. Oliver's Huey build is driving us all on to build better models but we need your BK117 here as well. Thanks.

LD.

WE WANT THE BK 117...WE WANT THE BK 117. Anthony, I cant wait either to see what you have done.

Oliver

Hey thanks guys, much appreciated encouragement!

I havent done much modelling of late, apart from pottering on a few little bits n pieces and a build for a friends dad.

Truth is that I am a bit buried with the rebuild of my old plane to fly. At present my Gipsy Major is being stripped and NDT'd, my doors, u/c legs, engine mounts and tailfeathers ready for paint etc. The fuse is at my engineers ready for pick up and I can start fitting it back out with her old military equipment again.

However.......winter is coming and I imagine I wont want to be working in a cold hanger in the evenings! And then there is my family I have to try not to neglect!

I have recently done more on the BK, but nothing much to see in photos apart from the centre windscreen framing is now fitted.

I am really enjoying following several of the builds here very much still and I WILL be back!!!! Although I am here most days looking at the amazing work going on already.

Cheers

Anthony

Hi Anthony. It's good to hear your aeroplane is coming along nicely and also to hear that the BK117 will be back. We all need a dose of your genius here every now and then to inspire us mere mortals. Oliver and Eastern can't carry all of us along!

LD.

Edited by Loach Driver

Thanks guys! I appreciate the encouragement to carry on.

Actually I have just been back reading Easterns comments on making switches and wiring looms.....very impressed and I hope I can have mine look half that good.

Picked up some fine mesh today for the engine cowl openings and a little on the rotorhead

Now look what Y'all are making me do :doh:

Cheers

Anthony

Thanks guys! I appreciate the encouragement to carry on.

Actually I have just been back reading Easterns comments on making switches and wiring looms.....very impressed and I hope I can have mine look half that good.

Picked up some fine mesh today for the engine cowl openings and a little on the rotorhead

Now look what Y'all are making me do :doh:

Cheers

Anthony

Anthony

Get back to that BK NOW Mister!!!!! LOL

I agree with you Alex(Eastern) work is stunning.

Anthony, post photos when u can

Oliver

Ok Ok Ok Oliver...you win!

I will post some pics soon, I now have the floor in and am looking at some photoetch work now.

I have a question, I have heard that Microscale Metal foil adhesive is good for non structural photoetch adhesion as it is tidy to work with.

Any thoughts? I have used CA to date but with tiny knobs and levers it might be tidier than superglue?

Cheers

Anthony

Ah, I ment to post these to pics of her during our big earthquakes........she was very very busy then!

quake-01A_1.jpg

Note our wrecked Cathedral in our central city in the next pic. The continuing shakes have left it and most of those buildings you see in this photo nothing but rubble. 600 buildings have come down and 600+ still to go and that is only the CBD.

quake-01_1.jpg

Photos courtesy of the Westpac Rescue Christchurch website.

Cheers

Anthony

Thanks for posting those photos, Anthony. I guess this helicopter proved its worth in recent times. I have two questions for you, one heli-related and one general one.

1. What is the white, tubular item sticking out under the forward belly of the BK117? My guess is that it's an aerial of some kind.

2. Is the Cathedral in the second photo totally destroyed and will it have to be demolished or is it just the tower/spire that has collapsed? It's sad to see such a beautiful building in danger of total destruction. Thanks.

LD.