32nd BK-117 B2 "Westpac Rescue"

Hi LD

Yes that is a new antenna she has recently got.

Secondly, No she is coming down, the damage has got a lot worse, in fact we have recently had some big aftershocks and many more buildings fell or need to now come down.

Before

1_1289228744_christchurch-cathedral.jpg

After

the_christchurch_cathedral_post_earthquakes_photo__4e1ea9c0d0.jpg

1 year ago today, hard to believe...thanks for asking

Oh and back to the BK again.....here is the antenna, the rego has now bee moved slightly back.

IMG_0264.jpg

Cheers

Anthony

Thanks for the reply, Anthony. It is very sad to see that building having to come down. I guess it proves the true strength of nature. Hopefully this is the end of any seismic activity for New Zealand for a long, long time. Thanks.

LD.

• 2 months later...

Ok so a small update. Actually the photo dosent actually show the time that went into getting her to this stage.

I have a few projects on the go at once....hope this is normal!

I now have the centre windscreen frame accurately centered and glued in place. I had to spend a lot of time figuring out how far the frame rebated back in so that it will all line up with the vac windscreen fitted.

The floor was permanently glued in place, this now allows me to build up the photoetch centre consul.

The top 'eyebrow' windows were also measured up with my vernier calipers and the inside edge trimmed to make both windows of equal size/shape. They are now ready for final framing to be added.

Finally the small triangular piece at the forward door opening was measured and made out of 2 pieces of card to represent the door edge lip. The panel line running down the front pillar where that attaches was tidied up with a superfine razor saw blade and now only the bottom edge needs the superglue sanded back to blend.

Wpac062.jpg

So....slowly but surely, work proceeds.

Thanks for looking in

Cheers

Anthony

Edited by Anthony in NZ
  • 2 months later...

Hi Anthony,

I presume that lots of others on here will also be wondering as I am, what is happening with Anthony at the moment. I hope all is good at home and that that BK hasn't gone back into that box not to see the light of day again.

Regards

Andrew :cop:

Hi Anthony,

I presume that lots of others on here will also be wondering as I am, what is happening with Anthony at the moment. I hope all is good at home and that that BK hasn't gone back into that box not to see the light of day again.

Regards

Andrew :cop:

Yeah, Where is he. Sure miss him around here.

Oliver

• 1 month later...

Hey guys, thanks very much for asking after me.

I thought I should let you know what has been going on....

I have been really busy with earthquake repairs to my house, new drive, interior replastering as the Gib & paint finish was cracked from all the shaking, outside needed a repaint and along with that building a Kwila deck off the side to replace the cracked stamped concrete. The house has been constantly full of contractors as well with much stuff packed away.

I have 2 models out....my BK and my Trumpeter 32nd A-4K. Along with that I have built a Harvard for a chap whos dad flew them in the RNZAF in 48th and working on a Hasegawa 1/48 TA-4K "Golden Skyhawk" as a comission build. I am trying to crack on with this as it is paying for my Prop overhaul for the Auster T7 I am also rebuilding to fly!!! :gr_eek2:

Then there is work and family

So guys, as you can see I feel like I am drowning in projects etc. However the BK is never far from my mind, just as I started to get into it again the contractors called to say they were moving in to work on the house :bandhead2: .

I feel honoured that you guys are thinking of me (well the BK) but I will be back in full swing soon, the repair work is nearly finished.

I have a bit of progress to report so I will try to snap some pics tomorrow (after I have hung the dryer on the wall in the laundry! :rolleyes:

Cheers guys, and keep up the awesome work around here, remember Choppers rock!

Anthony

Thanks guys

Yep I was going to take some photos but have decided to crack on with a few more bits on her. Just working on the fuse at the moment....stopped for a coffee break!

Anyone have recommendations for painting titanium colour? I am guessing Alclad.

Oliver, looking forward to your next update, and thanks for the thoughts on the house repairs.

Cheers

Anthony

Ok chaps

Here we go. I am a but unsure where I left off last time but this is what I have recently been working on.

I made a new centre verticle frame for the windscreen as I needed to tweak its position in 2 areas (in the verticle alignment and it was also rebated in too far to accept a vac screen and line up with the outside fuse)

bk014.jpg

I have also started adding the fine mesh in the 'boat' type housing above the cockpit. You probably cant see it here but I have the plastic wafer thin to simulate the skin thickness. I am presently in the process of thinning the other side. A big challenge was finding the right 'weave' of mesh to match the actual machine. Fortunately I found a scrap in my spares box that miracously matched perfectly!

bk022.jpg

Because I had glues the floor into the stbd side of the fuse I could proceed to fill this area with superglue and blend with my friend Mr Surfacer. I had to be careful so as not to loose the door seal detail. Once the 2 halves are glued together the whole lower/back end can be sorted out.

bk027.jpg

Next up was the lower forward door opening, This needed to be replaced again with a better one as I was not overly happy with the shape. I laminated 2 pieces to replicate the door rebate coming up from the floor, built the outer skin up t continue following the fuse contour. Finally a buff, rescribe of the panel line with my photoetch saw and a final spray with Mr Surfacer again to check for imperfections.

bk012.jpg

bk024.jpg

And an overall final shot

bk023.jpg

Thanks for looking in guys and its good to be back!

Cheers

Anthony

• 4 months later...

Yes, its nice to see you back on her Anthony...this is looking nicer with every new update. I was just speaking with a friend regarding your build and that he should follow this WIP to see some great work being done to a nice kit...:)

Mike

Thanks guys, really appreciate it!!

The BK is definately my first love :wub: and I am enjoying every minute I work on her again.

Presently work slowed on her as I was asked to do a commission build (yes, I vowed I would never do another :doh: but this one will pay for the prop overhaul on my Auster T7 rebuild and I couldnt say no). Coupled with that my father has been ill and in and out of hospital. We are awaiting biopsy results on his right lung. He trained as a builder and potentially has asbestos issues.....

Anyway, time will tell.

In the meantime I have figured out the rivet situation (either Archer or HGW) and have done some final prep for spraying the titanium colour on the main and tail rotor hubs.

I have the 1/48 TA-4K about ready to spray, so the BK wont be far off some attention again....YaY :clap2:

I have been on this Helicopter forum every day here at ARC without fail being constantly inspired! Oliver that new engine is STUNNING!

Thanks again guys

Anthony

Thanks guys, really appreciate it!!

The BK is definately my first love :wub:/> and I am enjoying every minute I work on her again.

Presently work slowed on her as I was asked to do a commission build (yes, I vowed I would never do another :doh:/> but this one will pay for the prop overhaul on my Auster T7 rebuild and I couldnt say no). Coupled with that my father has been ill and in and out of hospital. We are awaiting biopsy results on his right lung. He trained as a builder and potentially has asbestos issues.....

Anyway, time will tell.

In the meantime I have figured out the rivet situation (either Archer or HGW) and have done some final prep for spraying the titanium colour on the main and tail rotor hubs.

I have the 1/48 TA-4K about ready to spray, so the BK wont be far off some attention again....YaY :clap2:/>

I have been on this Helicopter forum every day here at ARC without fail being constantly inspired! Oliver that new engine is STUNNING!

Thanks again guys

Anthony

Thanks Anthony ....I feel the same about your helo. Dont forget to trim the rivets pretty close to the carrier film before you apply and dont forget coat of future first.....Oh hell, I am pretty sure you know all of this already.I'll shut up and watch your magic.

Hows your BK interior coming along. I am looking at the small door openings and I wonder how you gonna install everything in there????

Oliver

Thanks Oliver

I have the interior covered. The fuse is still able to be split, at the moment as it is still all interlocked together. Yes mate I will trim closely.

Should I or do I need to, lay a coat of future down over the Mr Surfacer? I thought perhaps I could apply the rivets and then use sol & set with another coat of Mr Surfacer??? Always open for ideas mate!

Cheers

Anthony

Edited by Anthony in NZ

Thanks Oliver

I have the interior covered. The fuse is still able to be split, at the moment as it is still all interlocked together. Yes mate I will trim closely.

Should I or do I need to, lay a coat of future down over the Mr Surfacer? I thought perhaps I could apply the rivets and then use sol & set with another coat of Mr Surfacer??? Always open for ideas mate!

Cheers

Anthony

DO future coat first. After the rivets are decals

Oliver