Seaking MK.41 Marineflieger, 2005 Anniversary Scheme

Ok, here starts the build. So far nothing done except ordering some self-made decals. I used some pictures to draw the eagle with the coloured wings and then send the file to a decal-maker who printed them.

Here you can see the kit and the decals:

Seaking2.jpg

Close-up:

Seaking1.jpg

HAJO

Edited by Hajo L.
  • 2 weeks later...

Just some proof that I´m really taking part in this GB: I managed to start the first steps! :woot.gif:

Seaking3.jpg

Well, since my F-104C and the AC-130U are finished there should be "some" more progress soon, "some" because I´ll go on vacation next weekend for two weeks and will take another model with me...

HAJO

• 1 month later...

OK, some progress to report:

I finished the interior, although I did nothing to improve the details - since the kit will be displayed with closed doors, I saw no need to waste my precious time... :salute:

IMG_2149.jpg

IMG_2150.jpg

I already glued the halves together, right now I´m sitting in my office, and the model is waiting in the car to be brought to my parents house. I will work on it during this weekend and hopefully finish all the glueing, so I can start painting next time I visit my parents.

IMG_2163.jpg

HAJO

OK, were able to work on it during the weekend, and made some serious steps.

At first, the building process itself has been finished, the model is now ready for the first layers of paint:

IMG_2168.jpg

I think on this picture I already applied the first coat of white on the doghouse, the tail and the bottom, using RoGs acryllic white.

I will paint the orange day glo as one of the last colours, since this color will be pretty sensitive to touching. So I continued with the grey camo.

First the top coat of the "old scheme", using RoGs no. 43:

IMG_2170.jpg

Then it´s Revells 77 (dark grey) and 75 (light grey) for the camoflage.

IMG_2171.jpg

The third tone is medium grey 47, on my two other Seakings I had used a more greener grey, but the colours on the originalhelo look more grey to me. At least at this specific helo, 89+55.

IMG_2177.jpg

I have to say that I wasted some of my building time on the weekend to start working on two Humvees, using the RoG "TOW and Ambulance Humvee"-set. :worship: The kits are great and I will do them as special forces humvees:

The former ambulance humvee:

IMG_2164.jpg

IMG_2166.jpg

Both Humvees, after I did all the main conversions of the former ambulance who will later carry the TOW-launcher, I started the other one who will carry a MK.19 grenade launcher. The modelling of the crew is usually the most time-consuming process.

IMG_2172.jpg

IMG_2174.jpg

IMG_2175.jpg

They will form up a nasty SF-patrol with my already finished SF-humvee when done:

Humvee4.jpg

Humvee2.jpg

Humvee1.jpg

HAJO

Figures are from Preiser, I used a quite interesting mix of german wehrmacht soldiers and US GIs in 1/72 as well as 1/87 scale...

I can really recommend the figur-sets from Preiser, they are wondful sculpted and have a lot of details. And as a plus, they are molded in "normal" plastic, so you can use normal plastic glue.

HAJO

Nice work on that Sea King! :thumbsup: The anniversary markings look fantastic, but the normal camo itself is an eye catcher too.

The Humvees look great too! You might want to show them off in the new "non-aircraft modelling" subforum as well!

• 4 weeks later...

OK, some progress - on both: Seaking and Humvees! But I will post the Humvee-pics in the "non-aircraft"-section later.

As you can see I have made some guge steps without documentating them with pictures.

Seaking4.jpg

And several hours later, it looks like this:

Seaking5.jpg

Seaking6.jpg

Sorry, it´s a bit late over here and I don´t feel like talking much, I will post some more commentary later and hopefully answer any questions that will rise so far.

HAJO

Ok, some words on the progress and the techniques I used. As you can see, I painted the whole helo now, using Humbrols day-glo red. I´m not sure if it should have been a bit more orange than red, but it´s ok in my eyes.

The biggest problem if you do a paint-scheme like this without using an airbrush is to get the small contrast between the upper grey part, representing to old paint scheme of the germany naby Sakings, and the the three-tone camo. I first added a thin black line using an "Edding"-pen and then toned it down a little bit by painting a thin layer of grey over it. I will also try to do the dark shadow between the two schemes by using thinned black (or very dark grey), painting that mix just below the black line to highlight the contrast.

HAJO

Yeah, the money for those decals was definetely well spent!

I have to admit that when I came home this weekend to continue working on the helo I wasn´t very motivated. I was more looking forward to start the next kit, an EH-101 Merlin.

But since I usually bring things to an end first I started my work on the Seaking by adding the "shadow-line" along the line where the old-scheme breaks up in the new-scheme, using thinned black. Then a coat of future for a smooth surface for the decals.

Then came the decals, first the pecker of the eagle under the nose of the helo. Well, went OK, so I continued with the spread winged eagle. Decals went on smooth, they are very thin and react good to Mr. Mark Softer. Then came the golden lettering - woooah, it looks like real gold! At least at that point I got really excited about the general look of the helo and I continued until the last decal had been applied.

As last step came a coat of matt gloss and now it only needs to get the rotor blades, and finished it is!

HAJO

Two more pictures, I suck at taking photographies... (must be due to my camera, I never heard any complaints from my editor of the newspaper I work for as a freelance-journalist :thumbsup: )

IMG_2319.jpg

IMG_2322.jpg

HAJO