Hello all

I remember seeing a photo on the internet of an M1 Abrams driving(jumping?) over a half buried Mig 25. if anyone has it could they post it up please.

BEEF

Not having seen any such photo, I certainly cannot say for sure, but from the sound of it, I imagine it might be one that someone altered with Photoshop or a similar computer program. The reason being, (1) I cannot imagine an M-1 Abrams jumping over much of ANYTHING given its gross weight, and (2) the only MiG-25 I know of that was ever half-buried in the sand is the one the U.S. discovered hidden in the Iraqi desert about two years or so ago. Fortunately for me, since I live in Dayton, that particular one is in the process of being restored here at the National Museum of the U.S. Air Force. I often see it parked outside one of the hangars on base. At this point, it's missing one of its tailfins and both of its wings...but it's standing on its own undercarriage! Per a conversation I had with the Museum Director, the wings have yet to be found. I would imagine they'll eventually acquire a set of wings elsewhere for the restoration, since the Foxbat is all but retired from service around the world.

Cheers,

Not having seen any such photo, I certainly cannot say for sure, but from the sound of it, I imagine it might be one that someone altered with Photoshop or a similar computer program. The reason being, (1) I cannot imagine an M-1 Abrams jumping over much of ANYTHING given its gross weight, and (2) the only MiG-25 I know of that was ever half-buried in the sand is the one the U.S. discovered hidden in the Iraqi desert about two years or so ago. Fortunately for me, since I live in Dayton, that particular one is in the process of being restored here at the National Museum of the U.S. Air Force. I often see it parked outside one of the hangars on base. At this point, it's missing one of its tailfins and both of its wings...but it's standing on its own undercarriage! Per a conversation I had with the Museum Director, the wings have yet to be found. I would imagine they'll eventually acquire a set of wings elsewhere for the restoration, since the Foxbat is all but retired from service around the world.

Cheers,

I've not seen the picture in question, but I for one can assure you that you can get a M1A1 airborne!

I "once knew a tank 2nd Lt" who got his tank airborne after jumping a road embankment. Hit it at about 45 MPH. Let's just say that it's an impressive feat to get 68 Tons airborne!! Very interesting to look to my left and see my Loader floating half way out of his turret hatch, and the 5 gallon cans of grease floating above the bustle rack on the back of the turret. Of course the landing was EPIC...S@*t flying everywhere off the tank, me and the loader got slammed into the edge of the hatches, and I could hear the gunner screaming like a little girl as he bounced around his compartment, but it kept on rolling and didn't miss a beat. Only 2 things would have made it better. 1 A video of it, 2. Having a General Lee horn playing as we flew thru the air!

I also learned that if you ever get talked into running over a car by your crew in the middle of the Israeli desert, that you should go over it slowly, and not at 35 MPH's. We hit the old junked car and it just disappeared under the tank. Didn't feel a thing, that was until I turned around and my heart stopped. The car was not smashed on the ground as I expected, but rather 10 feet ABOVE the tank and coming back down towards us!. Apparently, hitting it that fast caused it to wrap in a U shape around the track, then at the end, it got thrown up into the air with a forward vector...needless to say I had a few choice words that motivated my young CPL driver to punch it and we cleared the falling debris by less than a foot. That would've been a tough one to explain coming back to camp with a crushed car on top of the turret!

Tank

Two things I thought when I saw this pic

1. Wow, that's a pretty cool pic.

2. Shame they ran over a perfectly good aircraft that could have been put in a museum.

I don't think #1 is worth having at the price of #2.

That's a MiG-31 right? or a 25? Either way, the MiG-25 at the NMUSAF is missing wings.

MiG-25 Restoration

The aircraft on exhibit, a MiG-25RB, was found in 2003 by American forces buried in the sand near Al Taqaddum Airbase 250km west of Baghdad during the opening months of Operation Iraqi Freedom. The MiG-25 was buried to prevent its destruction on the ground by coalition aircraft. The aircraft was recovered incomplete--the wings could not be located and the vertical stabilizers were removed for transport. The aircraft arrived at the National Museum of the U.S. Air Force in 2006.
I've not seen the picture in question, but I for one can assure you that you can get a M1A1 airborne!

I "once knew a tank 2nd Lt" who got his tank airborne after jumping a road embankment. Hit it at about 45 MPH. Let's just say that it's an impressive feat to get 68 Tons airborne!! Very interesting to look to my left and see my Loader floating half way out of his turret hatch, and the 5 gallon cans of grease floating above the bustle rack on the back of the turret. Of course the landing was EPIC...S@*t flying everywhere off the tank, me and the loader got slammed into the edge of the hatches, and I could hear the gunner screaming like a little girl as he bounced around his compartment, but it kept on rolling and didn't miss a beat. Only 2 things would have made it better. 1 A video of it, 2. Having a General Lee horn playing as we flew thru the air!

I also learned that if you ever get talked into running over a car by your crew in the middle of the Israeli desert, that you should go over it slowly, and not at 35 MPH's. We hit the old junked car and it just disappeared under the tank. Didn't feel a thing, that was until I turned around and my heart stopped. The car was not smashed on the ground as I expected, but rather 10 feet ABOVE the tank and coming back down towards us!. Apparently, hitting it that fast caused it to wrap in a U shape around the track, then at the end, it got thrown up into the air with a forward vector...needless to say I had a few choice words that motivated my young CPL driver to punch it and we cleared the falling debris by less than a foot. That would've been a tough one to explain coming back to camp with a crushed car on top of the turret!

Tank

:rolleyes::rofl:

You knows it's going to be a good story when it starts out with a 2nd Lt......never ever underestimate the power of a Zero.....

That's a MiG-31 right?

No it is not. Because:

1: Irak never had MiG-31.

2: MiG-31 is two seater

3: Nose is completly different shape from MiG-31

R.I.P Foxbat... :)

PS: Anyone know what verson of Foxbat is it?

PS 2: T-80 jumping AND fire shoot at same time:

Edited by Berkut
I've not seen the picture in question, but I for one can assure you that you can get a M1A1 airborne!...

...Tank

Did that 2ndLT get log that flight time in his logbook?

Gee... I might know someone who was in 2nd Tanks at Lejeune to get more sordid details about that certain 2ndLT! ;)

Edited by John Bibay

Awesome pic, pretty sure it's straight up. I'm just amazed by the strength of the MiG; of course it does seem to be supported by a lot of earth... Still pretty impressive. I'm also pretty sure the Abrams didn’t "jump" off the other side; you can see an earth ramp waiting to receive the 60+ ton behemoth. At least they max elevated the gun in anticipation of the landing on the other side... I for one have buried an Abrams muzzle & MRS, not fun; thankfully it didn't end up out of battery. As for the Abrams being able to jump things... It most certainly can. I accidently got a lot of air driving an M-1IP at NTC many, many years ago. It was super cool until we (the crew) had to replace a couple of hydro-pneumatic shocks! The Abrams is an amazing tank, I sometimes miss crewing one. Regarding the MiG crushing... I doubt it was done maliciously, they were probably told to destroy it & someone wanted to have some fun. Thank goodness they didn’t run over a Tomcat, I’d hate to see what that reaction would have been like! ;)

Ahui hou :cheers:

Mark

Did that 2ndLT get log that flight time in his logbook?

Hey! I wonder who we know who served in 1st or 2nd tanks to get more sordid details about that 2ndLT? ;)

You know there is this one Gunny I do know.... :cheers:

Tank is right. Whenever a story starts with "I saw this Second Lieutenat with a map in his hand...."

You know its going to be crazy.

Whoa whoa that's not get all crazy and start handing butter bars maps now......a SNCO somewhere failed if the LT has a map, nothing good ever comes of it. :cheers:

You know there is this one Gunny I do know.... :cheers:

Darn it! I can't keep up with you guys. You still got access to that Gunny's cruisebook from that Med-float?

1: Irak never had MiG-31.

2: MiG-31 is two seater

3: Nose is completly different shape from MiG-31

Ah, thanks for the information. I think the_baphomet is probably correct since the one at the NMUSAF is also a -25RB.

Even more of a shame if it's the same since, as I mentioned, there goes some wings that could have contributed to their museum piece.

I think its a MiG-25RB variant.. the RB particular antiglare panel denotes that...

BTW, any clue on its serial number; 25109 may be??

fa75-1.jpg