Good Aviation book to read

All,

Can any one suggest a good aviation book (Esply modern or coldwar era).I read Skunk works by Ben Ricchi.I loved that book.Have anybody came across some thing interesting?

Thanks

Vivek

All,

Can any one suggest a good aviation book (Esply modern or coldwar era).I read Skunk works by Ben Ricchi.I loved that book.Have anybody came across some thing interesting?

Thanks

Vivek

Try:

"Boeing B-47 Stratojet: True Stories of the Cold War in the Air" edited by Mark Natola. Published by Schiffer Military.

I found it an awsome read.

Alex

I highly suggest "War in the Air" by Stephen Coonts. It is a great collection of short stories by pilots from WWI all the way to Vietnam. A very good read. I just started it myself and it is very hard to put down.

SLICK

Edited by slick95

Hyperscale had a review either yesterday or the day before on a book about Naval Fighter Development of the 50s-60s. Can't remember the name off the top of my head and I'm at work. I have it and read it. Very enjoyable. There was also a book about the development of the 777 out about 10 years ago. Really enjoyed that one as well.

Hyperscale had a review either yesterday or the day before on a book about Naval Fighter Development of the 50s-60s. Can't remember the name off the top of my head and I'm at work. I have it and read it. Very enjoyable. There was also a book about the development of the 777 out about 10 years ago. Really enjoyed that one as well.

Can you let me know the titles when you get a chance?

Agreed! Skunkworks is an awesome book and should be required reading for all engineeering students. I just ordered my third copy (I always hand mine out and forget about it).

For flying tales from a first hand POV, try Paul Gillcrist-

Feet Wet and Vultures Row

http://www.amazon.com/Feet-Wet-Reflections...3370&sr=8-1

http://www.amazon.com/Vultures-Row-Thirty-...3370&sr=8-2

Pete

Agreed! Skunkworks is an awesome book and should be required reading for all engineeering students. I just ordered my third copy (I always hand mine out and forget about it).

For flying tales from a first hand POV, try Paul Gillcrist-

Feet Wet and Vultures Row

http://www.amazon.com/Feet-Wet-Reflections...3370&sr=8-1

http://www.amazon.com/Vultures-Row-Thirty-...3370&sr=8-2

Pete

I am a mechanical Engineer by profession .So i was able to enjoy the book deeply

If space technology is part of aviation - which it of course is - I would recommend you to read Tom Kelly's "Moon Lander: How we developed the Apollo lunar module".

Wonderful story about the moon race and also great book from the engineering point of view.

i read Final Flight - Steven Coonts and Flash Point - James Houston

Good modern Navy stuff, focused on the F-14. Good books ;)

I just got done reading Fallout by James Houston. That was a good read also. I'll have to read Flash Point.

You might have a look at Lucky's Bridge, Termite Hill and Tango Uniform by Tom Wolf. Great reads on flying 105's in Viet Nam. All based on fact and actual occourances., but storyized to protect the innocent and not so innocent.

:)

Itch

Three of my all-time favourite aviation books:

"War for the Hell of it" by Ed Cobleigh on flying F-4 Phantoms in Vietnam.

"Snake pilot" by Randy Zahn on flying AH-1G Cobras in Vietnam.

"When Thunder rolled" by Ed Rasimus on flying the F-105 in Vietnam.

• 1 month later...
Three of my all-time favourite aviation books:

"War for the Hell of it" by Ed Cobleigh on flying F-4 Phantoms in Vietnam.

"Snake pilot" by Randy Zahn on flying AH-1G Cobras in Vietnam.

"When Thunder rolled" by Ed Rasimus on flying the F-105 in Vietnam.

Reading "When Thunder rolled" by Ed Rasimus .I like it so much .Thanks for your suggestion.

I loved the Skunk Works book. I have purchased 3 of them, one I gave away, one someone took away and the other is the replacement for #2.

Actually my favorite aviation book is a cartoon collection called "there I was, 25 years" by Bob Stevens. The cartoons were on the last page of the Air Force magazine and that is the first thing I read when dad got the magazine in. I basically learned the USAF way of life from those cartoons.

It is out of print but definitely worth getting!

I loved the Skunk Works book. I have purchased 3 of them, one I gave away, one someone took away and the other is the replacement for #2.

Actually my favorite aviation book is a cartoon collection called "there I was, 25 years" by Bob Stevens. The cartoons were on the last page of the Air Force magazine and that is the first thing I read when dad got the magazine in. I basically learned the USAF way of life from those cartoons.

It is out of print but definitely worth getting!

Oh, I've gotta get that one. I remember reading those in the back of the ROTC room in high school. :worship:

John

I've just finished "Thud Ridge" by Col Jack Broughton. A real insight into the early airwar in Vietnam (the book was first published in 1969), with no punches pulled. Your left in no doubt about how Broughton thought the airwar was thought, and the unnecessary losses suffered as a consequence.

In part based on taped transcripts of cockpit conversations it really shows how the best laid plans can go to ratsh*t,

and how basic radio comms was at that time.

Well worth a read and availabe in paperback here in the UK, so hoefully easy to find elsewhere also

Pete

Second for Raid on the Sun and Feet wet. Started blackbird rising but didnt finish it (my grandma got me a signed copy years before i had much interest in the SR-71- belated thanks grandma!)

I have read chicken hawk as well, liked it but it is long, i would recommend Firebirds for a faster (and a little more light hearted read.)

Don't know if Blackhawk down really counts, but it is one of the 5 "war books" everyone should read.

• 1 year later...

There's a new book available from Merriam Press (merriam-press.com) in Vermont, "Artillery Flyers at War - A History of the 664, 665 and 666 'Air Observation Post' Squadrons of the Royal Canadian Air Force," by Darrell Knight.

The history is 484 pages with many photos, documents and maps, detailing how the Canadian AOP pilots and their observers flew into battle - unarmed, and in daylight in a three-seat light aircraft - at close quarters with the German Army to direct artillery flyers onto select targets. These guys were fearless, while flying into action behind an engine that delivered only 130 hp!

Palace Cobra by Ed Rassimus (It's about his second tour in Vietnam and transistioning to the F-4)

Fighter Pilot by Col. Robin Olds absolutley one of the best books I have ever read.

Red Eagles by S. Davies, details the secret US MiG's during the cold war

Black Aces High by Robert Wilcox, follows VF-41 during the Bosnia conflict and details there FACing and use of the LANTIRN pretty extensively.

Edited to say how much I liked Skunk Works too.

Edited by josh1813