Castrol Super Clean

I just picked up some Royale Resin wheels for a kit I'm working on. In the instructions it recommends cleaning the parts with Bleche Wite to remove the mold release agents. I have Castrol Super Clean and I was wondering if that would work like the Bleche Wite? Can anybody tell me if what is in Bleche Wite and if it would be similar to Super Clean?

Thanks,

Mark

Cool! I actually was concerned that Super Clean (or as wee say in Maine Supa Clean) would be a little too caustic. Thanks for the reply.

Ric mentioned he used it in the laundry

I would say if it has been used in the laundry and didn't destroy clothes....it should be fine.

Westley's Bleche White (tire cleaner) is excellent for cleaning resin with lots of mold-release glop on it. It's quite caustic but it's extrmemly effective and VERY cheap (especially as compared to the Castrol).

For a lot of resin (and most plastic) you don't really need anything quite so strong. Sometimes soap and water is sufficient, other times something a little stronger is needed; usually the mfg-er recommends what works best with his products.

;)

Old Blind Dog

I've been warned Super Clean can turn your resin into goo. I used it without a problem before being told it may hurt the resin but use other products since then.

Westleys, is basically Trisodium Phosphate which you can buy in most hardware stores as TSP. Spic & Span is another TSP based cleaner you can use.

Other things I've been told work and are safe for resin are oven cleaner, 70% isopropal alcohol, and Prep Sol (a paint prep wipe).

You can use masking tape to check the surface, if the tape won't stick neither will paint.

Cut off part of the plug and toss it in and see what happens

Good suggestion. I've cut the plug off and was going to throw it away, instead I'll soak it in CSC. I'll give it a try and let you know how it works out.

I use Super Clean (SC) to clean all my models and resin before assembly and again prior to painting. I have not had any problems with melting of resin. I have used it on resin from True Details, Verlinden, Black Box, and Track 48. I don't soak these in the SC but dip an old toothbrush in the solution and scrub the model/resin. Then rinse thoroughly with clean water afterwards. A gallon lasts me over a year with occasional use and cost about 6 USD at Walmart last year.

When using SC make sure you use gloves and eye protection since it contains sodium hydroxide.

I also use it to strip paint off models and Games Workshop figures. For these I do soak them and as of yet no damage to the figures/models. It doesn't remove paint off all models but usually is one of the solutions I use to strip models (along with others like isopropyl alcohol, oven cleaner, and mineral spirits).

As always I try a test piece or section (like previously mentioned by paul.nortness ) before using on a new piece.

BTW, there are apparently different types of brake fluid since the variety I got from Walmart did not strip paint at all.

Good suggestion. I've cut the plug off and was going to throw it away, instead I'll soak it in CSC. I'll give it a try and let you know how it works out.

Well I soaked the resin plug overnight along with two chrome plated parts to a car model. No effect on the resin. However, it annihalated the chrome plating on the car parts. They came out as clean bare plastic with no remnant of the chrome plating what so ever. I used an old plastic baby food container with a snap lid to soak the parts in. It did seem to soften the container a little bit, but it did not dissolve the plastic to the point where it leaked.

Hi,

Is there any CSC equivalent available in Europe? Any similar product?

I've checked with local Castrol office here in Czech Rep. but they told me the product was withdrawn from their catalog long time ago.

Thanks a lot

Sasha