This Tomcat looks like the gate guard at Oceana so it appears that VFA-31 won those awards. The tradition at Oceana when I was there was that the Tomcat squadron that won the Battle E was responsible for painting and maintianing the Tomcat, who ever won the Safety award painted the Phantom. The rest of the gate guard aircraft were assigned to squadron by the wing for painting and maintenance.

The awards are, going from left to right:

The anchor is the Golden Anchor Award and is giving to the command that has the best retention of presonnel, i.e., who has the most people re-enlist and other retention programs.

The next one is for the Bombing Derby, it is given to the squadron that has the best air to ground program.

The trophy one I don't know, can't read it.

The Tomcat with the M is for, I believe, maintenance program, not quit sure, usually it's a golden wrench that represents the award.

Edit: after looking at it again it maybe the MUTHA Award, an award given for the squadron with the most "spirit" I believe. We use to call it FAS.

And the E in felix's bomb is the Battle Efficience (Battle E) Award, given for the best squadron in type, i.e., the Fighter get one, the E-2's get one, etc.

As far as the history, I haven't kept up with who has gotten them over the years so I can't help you with that.

HTH

Reddog :salute:

FAS = Freaking Aircrew Stuff. :P

Edited by Reddog

The golden anchor award is the "Draggin your @ss!" award

The second bomb award is the "This danm thing is a dud" award

The third trophy cup award is the "I need a beer" award

And the last one is the "Yea, team" award

:thumbsup::rofl:

Sorry, I couldn't resist......

Heres a link to the >> MATS << site describing the various awards, and to >> Tomcat Alley <<

Third one along is the Arleigh Burke Fleet Trophy

The Arleigh Burke Fleet Trophy is presented annually to the ship or aviation squadron in both the Atlantic and Pacific fleets that has achieved the greatest improvement during the preceding year. Among the factors considered are operational accomplishments, performance in inspections, awards and retention.

HTH

Edited by Andy Mullen
I don't think the M is the MUTHA, that's usually represented by the word "MUTHA" written across the top of the tails, look for VF-103 and VF-213, they won it each.

You are exactly right! VF-31 didn't take MUTHA during the last of their tomcat days.

If I'm not mistaken, the "M" in question is a maintenance award.