I have had very little building time in the last few months, and only one completed project this year. I have been working on and off (mostly off) on this one for the last month or so. Build is straight OOB, with only glue, paint, decals and a wash added.

Progress in the form of the fuselage finally ready to close up. There are quite a few sub-assemblies with fiddly parts to be completed prior to this point, which I found rather time consuming. Worth the effort though.

A few pics for your amusement:

Please excuse the dust bunnies in the pics. Macro really shows the warts......

P6243111.jpg

P6243112.jpg

P6243113.jpg

P6243114.jpg

I'm off for the rest of the week, and plan on dedicating quite a bit of time towards this build.

Comments and critiques welcomed.

I like it Kevin :thumbsup:

I have the Roden tri-plane and Albatros DIII in the stash and I have a hankering to crank up production on one of them. I

figured with a total lack of references and just going with the sheet call-outs for colour (purple????) it would be

relaxing.

One thing though.....what technique are you using for your wood grain? It's the only thing aside from the lack of refs that is

scaring me off at the moment.

Thanks Jeff. This is my first WWI subject, and I'm building it for essentially the same reason. And the nose of this one will be covered in Violet as well. I guess camo didn't factor in back then. I also want to introduce myself to rigging, and the D.VII is a perfect candidate, as there is minimal rigging involved.

One thing though.....what technique are you using for your wood grain? It's the only thing aside from the lack of refs that is

scaring me off at the moment.

I was the same way, and looked at tons of other builds before deciding on a method. Once you start, it's actually a lot easier than you think. I used oils over acrylics to get the finish I wanted.

1) Spray parts with acrylic light tan color (I used Gunze Sail)

2) Layer of Future

3) Apply dark oil paint to simulate grain in the wood (I used Burnt Umber applied with a bent airbrush needle, but a fine brush would work too)

4) Once dry, spray clear orange (gives a varnished appearance)

I'll do a pictorial STS when it comes time to do the prop.

:thumbsup:

Edited by smithery

Thanks Kevin...I was going to try something similar that I had heard here a while back but it's using Tamiya Buff, oils and then

clear yellow. Probably would end up with the same effect.

re: rigging....yeah I should probably try the Tripe first because of that but the Albatros has a lot of nice interior (wood!)

framing I think would be fun.

Have you found a local supplier for EZ-Line or do you just get it from Pensicola (Bobe's Hobbies)?

Fabulous looking cockpit, Kevin. I, too, am really impressed with your wood grain effect. I am looking forward to seeing your technique with the propeller. And rigging scares the bejesus out of me as well.

Have you found a local supplier for EZ-Line or do you just get it from Pensicola (Bobe's Hobbies)?

:)

Can't help you on that one Jeff, as I have never used it. I'll use very fine wire or monofilament for the rigging on this one.

Fabulous looking cockpit, Kevin. I, too, am really impressed with your wood grain effect. I am looking forward to seeing your technique with the propeller. And rigging scares the bejesus out of me as well.

B)

Thanks Jamie, it's good to be back to building wing things. I have never rigged before, and have only successfully run one antennae, so I'm taking baby steps towards rigging. Gotta start somewhere.....

You a very skilled model builder! I think I am going to have my healthy dose of inspiration for getting started in the hobby.

CC

You are too kind, as there are far better builders around here. That said, pretty much everything I know, I learned here on these boards.

:)

Thanks guys, I do appreciate it.

Great build Tom, and a very informative article. Only hurdle I have come across was the stitched "seam" on the belly was too short (short shot I'm guessing), so I had to fill a few gaps. Otherwise, I've had no issues.

Just waiting for some paint to dry, then I can mask and spray the giraffe pattern, then it's on to lozenge......

More pics to come....

Edited by smithery

I have been focusing on getting some color on the fuselage the last few days. Relevant areas were sprayed and masked, then the kit supplied lozenge decals were applied. Once the masking tape came off, I can see that my black tail extends too far forward. I guess I should have applied the lozenge first then sprayed the tail. Oh well, live and learn......

I also applied a few of the major markings. I can now focus on applying the lozenge to the wings.

A few pics for your amusement

P6283115.jpg

P6283117.jpg

P6283118.jpg

Comments and criticisms welcomed.

Thanks for looking.

Kevin

Very nice mate!

That looks nearly as complicated as doing digital camo. How did you go about it?

Richard

Thanks Richard. The lozenge is actually a kit supplied decal, so all I had to do was shimmy them into position and match up the pattern. The violet and green on the nose is painted however. Spray the violet first, then cut small shapes out of tape. Spray the green, remove the masking, and voila, giraffe pattern.

That's great smithery....quite didnt catch what you meant about that error on the tail but that looks great from here!

You meant that is too "forwarded" the black zone?

Cheers

:salute:

Thanks Jack, and you are correct. The black on the tail extends too far forward up the fuselage. I'll have to use a different cross from the spares box, as there is no longer enough room between the black and the red/white stripe to place the correct one from the kit.

Thanks Richard. The lozenge is actually a kit supplied decal, so all I had to do was shimmy them into position and match up the pattern. The violet and green on the nose is painted however. Spray the violet first, then cut small shapes out of tape. Spray the green, remove the masking, and voila, giraffe pattern.

thanks Kevin now I know how to do it on mine, seeing your great build has persuaded me that mine is the next one out of the stash.

thanks Andy.