Looking for good starter models

Hi!

I am new to the hobby and was hoping that somone on this wonderful website could point me in the right direction. I am really intrested in WWI aircraft but was told to start out building WWII aircraft. I am not sure what models out there are friendly to new a new modeler. I do not really care about the nationality of the aircraft. I would like to build aircraft that are of good size when they are done. Advice is appreciated.

CC

P.S. My favorite aircraft of WWII is the BF-109(tropical)

Edited by Classic Cake

Look for an Academy brand Bf 109E -- it's cheap, it has the extra parts to make an E-3/E-4/E-7 (trop) and while not perfect is a decent facsimile of an Emil.

Fits pretty good (very little puttying/tinkering needed) and dirt cheap!

EDIT:

Here's a couple of photos. I took numbers from another kit, and the squad badges are just what I had from the Academy box, but it's really meant to be a E-7 (trop).

Me109E4Trop_DoneRearPort1a.jpg

Me109E4Trop_decalsdone1a.jpg

Edited by Mark M.

Depending what scale (and thus what size) models you're interested in, I'd say almost anything by Tamiya. Tamiya's 1/48 line of WWII aircraft are uniformly outstanding. They're exquisitely engineered, easy to assemble, and almost all very accurate. The decals are useable (if you don't want to bother with aftermarket decals), and their instructions are second to none for clarity. You'll achieve very nice results from their kits with minimal effort.

For WWI subject matter, I recommend Roden's 1/48 kits. If you like other biplanes, the Eduard (from the Czech Republic) Avia B.534 is one of the best biplane kits ever made, as is the Accurate Miniatures Grumman F3F (available as a -1 or a -3).

Please don't be afraid to ask questions here. Some sites don't make noobs feel welcome, but there are no stupid questions. I love helping people get into a hobby I've been enjoying since I was 5 years old (in 1967!). I can't tell you the number of friends I've made, the amount of history I've learned, and the skills I've gained as a result of this hobby. In fact, it even became my main source of income (I produced decals) for about 12 years! You never know where it might lead you.

J

I side with Jennings on this. Look for some earlier manufactured 1/48 Tamiya. Still can be had starting at $10.00 at Great Models Website. That way your not flushing a sheetload of money while refining your skills.

Good luck and most of all----"HAVE FUN!!!!!"

Yeah, you know, I am sure you mean well, BUT I'd be hesitant to be steering a fella to Great Models these days. Lately there have been several threads here at the ARC where GM's customers have been less than satisfied with their service (myself included).

It be a pity to send a new comer over to them only to have him receive that same "stellar and award winning" customer service that has turned away several others of us disgruntled, former, now buying elsewhere customers.

Just a thought...

Perhaps refer him over to one of many retailers and members that we have in our own ranks.

Classic Cake-welcome to modeling and to ARC! :thumbsup:

I agree about starting with Tamiya 1/48 prop-planes. I would recommend the 1/48 F4U-1D.The beautiful Corsair.Very nice kit,easy paint scheme.

I also recommend ordering it from Sprue Brothers.

Good luck!

-Dave

if it you can get to Hobby Lobby's website they have a 40 percent off coupon online take that to your local store and get a good 1/48 prop. They had a tamiya 1/48 spitfire at my store today (theres an old joke that every scale modeler has built at least one spitfire!) but of course there will be even cheaper kits than that from Tamiya get what looks cool to you. best of luck!

Edited by TaiidanTomcat

Greetings and welcome! I concur with my fellow ARCrs that starting out with a Tamiya prop is a great way to get into the hobby with nice detail, excellent fit, and easy instructions. There are a multitude of places to get these kits. Local hobby shops, squadron.com, spruebros.com, ebay, and of course, the buy and sell forum right here on ARC. I would say to go to the buy and sell forum here first. You will usually find what you are looking for and these guys are great to deal with. As for what plane to get, I would offer three suggestions from Tamiya. First, if you like the 109, get their Bf-109E4/7 Top kit. Lots of options and builds up as the trop, which you said you liked. Second, a Spitfire, either Mk I or Mk Vb(trop or regular). Also great kits and if you like trop, the Vb trop is a great option. Third, Corsair, which also comes in a few flavors (birdcage, 1A and 1D). All of these are really nice kits. They go together easy, have nice detail, good instructions, and plenty of aftermarket decal options if you want something different than what comes in the box. Good luck and have fun!

I actually normally answer that question by pointing people towards some of the Testors kits made with the old Hawk molds. They're simple, robust, and build up into real nice kits, but they're also dirt cheap and very readily available - meaning you can screw up a couple and not break your modeling budget or have trouble finding another. If you want to start with WWI stuff, Testors has a Spad and a Nieuport 17 in 1/48, which Internet Hobbies has on sale for $6.50 each - hard to go wrong with those.

Edited by ReiRei0

Hm, not to say that i disagree, but i wouldn't like to adventure into tamiya as a first model.

I would recommend, Revell, and (or) monogram as starters.

Good part layout, good detail, awesome plastic, some flash here and there, but for the price? what else could you ask!?

Some people might say revell or monogram are not good brands, because their moulds, need lots of filling, and sanding, BUT what's a better way to gain experience?

My 2 cents!