Here's my F/A-18D. It' the old Hasegawa "Night Attack" boxing. I'm planning on the low vis option from the MAW decals from operation Allied Force. Here's what I've got done so far.

DSCN2093-1.jpg

DSCN2095.jpg

DSCN2096.jpg

DSCN2098.jpg

Edited by okthree

Thanks guys. I've been inspired by all the great work I see here on ARC. I've learned a lot. I'm hoping to get a little more work on this done before I leave home for summer vacation.

I didn't notice the remenants of the molded on plumbing until I saw the pictures on the computer screen. I'll have to do a little more sanding of the bulkheads to get rid of that.

I had hoped to have the cockpit painted and the fuselage assembled by now but my work schedule last week was not conducive to building. Now I'm leaving on vacation. No more work for the next week or so.

• 2 weeks later...

This project is currently on indefinate hold. I just got my house under contract to sell and need to be out by the end of July. We're not sure where we are moving to after that date, but I hope to have some place soon and be back up building. :thumbsup:

Mark

• 3 months later...

Alright time to get back at it on this one. I'm finally settled into to our new house. I have a some what decent area set up as a workshop to build models. I'm going to have to push hard to get this one finished in time. I'm a notoriously slow builder, I don't know if I can get this thing done in the 27 days remaining. To make it even more challenging I have three boys, the youngest of whom is two, a wife who just started grad school, a new puppy, and a full time job that takes me away from home for half of the month. Who here doesn't have all of those things? If I can only keep my AMS in check and give up some sleep it should be no problem to finish in time. So I better quit wasting time, post some pictures and get back to the work bench!

Here's what I been up to lately. Filled in the slots for the reinforcement brackets for the vert stabs and made the square rivet plates found on the C and D model hornets. I have added PE screen mesh to the close up the area on the underside of the fuselage near the APU exhaust. The vent grills on the nose have been filled in and I will use decals for the mesh vent screens. The slots by the AN/ALR 67 antenna were filled in with plastic card.

I having problems with Photobucket right now so I will have to post pictures later. Besides my wife just told me to get off the computer so she can finish her homework.

Mark

Looks like I've got it to work. Here's more pictures of my progress.

Some pictures of the mesh screen for the bottom of the fuselage. I have a decal for this but I like the brass better.

DSCN2124.jpg

DSCN2129.jpg

The nose with the grills filled in. I'll use decals for the mesh here.

DSCN2132.jpg

The instructions had you cut back the openings at the hinge point for the canopy if you were planning on displaying the canopy open. I did that, but it didn't look right, so it was filled back in with strip styrene.

DSCN2128.jpg

Edited by okthree

That's brass from K & S. I got it at Rider's Hobby while visiting family last July in Grand Rapids, Michigan. It was stocked with the brass tube and rod. It comes in various shapes and sizes. This sheet is the smallest size they make at 1/64 in diamond pattern. Check the website www.specialshapes.com

DSCN2141.jpg

Edited by okthree

The cockpit is almost complete. I'm using the kit tub and enhancing it with parts left over from various Black Box sets. I am using the front and rear IP, a set of SJU 17 seats and cockpit sidewalls.

My lame attempt to add some of the plumbing on the aft bulkhead. I'm not really happy with the results and looks better wiht the seats installed. Basically it was a waste of valuable time.

DSCN2149.jpg

The instrument panels. I just need to paint the MFD's with clear green after I give everything a coat of clear flat.

DSCN2146.jpg

My AMS rears it ugly head. Landing gear selector handle.

DSCN2145.jpg

A couple shots of the front cockpit. I added a stores select jettison button of the left panel of the tub with plastic rod. It is a prominant feature that is not found on the Hasegawa tub. Also added the map light.

DSCN2148.jpg

DSCN2158.jpg

DSCN2156.jpg

Edited by okthree
My AMS rears it ugly head. Landing gear selector handle.

So let me understand. Are you trying to get cured of AMS? If so, do not read any more of this post. Step away from the scratch-building box...

If you want to fall back into the endless pit of more and more details .... read on!

The landing gear handle and selective jettision button look great. I agree with the previous post that you must have an incredible pair of eyes and steady hands to do that! In the same spirit, have you thought of adding the arresting hook handle on the right side of the front cockpit? In the real airplane, it sticks a long way out, and shows up quite well.

ALF

So let me understand. Are you trying to get cured of AMS? If so, do not read any more of this post. Step away from the scratch-building box...

If you want to fall back into the endless pit of more and more details .... read on!

The landing gear handle and selective jettision button look great. I agree with the previous post that you must have an incredible pair of eyes and steady hands to do that! In the same spirit, have you thought of adding the arresting hook handle on the right side of the front cockpit? In the real airplane, it sticks a long way out, and shows up quite well.

ALF

Hi ALF,

Yes I'm trying to keep my AMS restrained.

You were right, I should have stopped reading where you told me to. :) I had considered the arresting hook handle, but I had kind of forgot about it. Now that I know it is also prominant feture, I'll have to think add one. Thanks for reminding me.

Mark