I started the Trumpeter 1:32 Bearcat!! I want a nice clean 'cat here , so minimal weathering is the way.

Yes, I finally have something to show. I want to build this outta-the-box but just had to replace the woeful etched parts supplied by Trumpeter for the seatbelts with some pre-painted Eduard USN (late) etched sets.

The rest of what you see is whats in the box It all fits really well with positive locations.

IMG_0001-3.jpg

The instrument panel is one of those etch/acetate/plastic sandwich affairs, which actually works really well in this scale.

IMG_0003-2.jpg

The engine has 30+ pieces alone. It goes together well, but the instructions are a bit vague. So after some careful study of references, and some dryfitting and cursing etc etc I FINALLY got it together . Its sprayed with Alclad Duraluminium and then washed with thinned smoke.

IMG_0005-4.jpg

All the interior is Vallejo Interior green. To be honest, there could be lots of details added, but without major surgery on the fuselage panels none of it can be seen. So I'll build whats in the box and this will suffice.

This area between the firewall and the cockpit is busy enough with engine bearers and fuel/oil tanks etc, as there are two open panels right above this area,as you can probably just make out. I replaced the straps that hold the tanks to the firewall with strips of foil to represent the area better than the moulded in straps that were lost when i cleaned up the joints.

IMG_0008-3.jpg

The prop is one single piece of brilliant moulding and just needed painting. I was so impressed with this that I painted it and decalled it straight away!

IMG_0010-4.jpg

All comments, advice and questions welcomed

Edited by Mikeew

Thanks guys, I have more for ya...

I have the exhausts fixed in and painted. I used Tamiya NATO Brown which is a pretty good match for burnt pipes - ish.

They will need drilling out of course.

exhausts.jpg

All the interior subassemblies are in too, starting at the rear portion; the tail wheel assembly in, very neat way of assembling it i'd say...

tailwheelassy.jpg

Next is the radio pack, whilst its basic, none of it can be seen once the fuselage is closed up so I didn't bother adding any more to it. The locations for it are positive nonethless!

radiogear.jpg

In front of the radio pack is the cockpit itself, which fits in a treat once joined up to the firewall section. The yellow oxygen tank can't be seen either once closed up, but its there now.

cockpitinsitu1.jpg

cockpitinsitu2.jpg

interior1.jpg

each fuselage half has panels cut out so the firewall can be seen, i will close one up and have the cowl flap open, but leave this side open.

cowlflap3.jpg

On the other side is the panel(s) fixed in place with cowl flap open.

cowlflap1.jpg

cowlflap2.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

The guns aren't that detailed at all, so I'll opt to keep it clean with gunbay doors closed and just fit them in for some rigidity when the wings go together

gunbayplacement.jpg

On the undersides of the wings are bullet case ejector ports, or rather there should be. They are moulded in the correct positions inside the wings as recesses, but need drilling and filing out. To see where they go i held the wing up to the modelling lamp and it becomes clear..

wingcuts.jpg

I marked through the gunbays with the drill and then drilled out holes before slicing out the excess plastic and cleaning up the holes with a sharp scalpel blade.

drillout.jpg

drilledholes.jpg

cutouts.jpg

Though the wings are moulded in halves to allow the wing fold option, its tricky to line them up for the open wings option that I want (trust me to be awkward!)

So I reckoned the solution was to tape them together on the outside top and bottom, then run liquid weld in the joint and leave til set.

tapetogether.jpg

applyliquidcement.jpg

and....

Finally...FINALLY...something Bearcat shaped to show for my labours. The flaps and ailerons are drying hence the bulldog clips to keep them level. You can see top left, the clear cowling with the bottom piece moulded in grey. Weird idea if you ask me, if you're gonna make a clear cowling, why have the lower panel moulded in grey? never mind, ine will be painted anyhoo.

The port wing looks grubby 'cos i was experimenting with paints, and its settled in the reccessed details where I sanded it back to try to reduce the effect of those darn rivets a bit.

Should be on the home run now, just gotta clean up a few seams and then on with the primer and the undercarriage can be built.

Bearcat.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks guys.

Moritz, she'll have OOB markings for USN air reserve based at US Naval station Akron Ohia, 1951.

More progress...

Almost ready for primer and paint now.

The fit of the gun bay doors left a little to be desired, but (hopefully) they'll be fine I'm sure, nothing some filler didn't sort out. Same applies to the fit of the inner and outer halves of the wings, hmmm... tricky fella. I reckon they should have moulded them open with a recess inside to cut them for folding if you so desire. The Hellcat I am building next will have wings folded I think.

winggunbayfiller.jpg

The (very flimsy) tail wheel assembly snapped off due to the handling incurred whilst reinstating rivets details and rescribing the oil cooler vents under the lower mid fuselage, not to mention the sanding etc. So I scratchbuilt a new stronger one out of copper wire and copper sheet. This should be better after some primer and paint.

scratchbuilttailwheel.jpg

And finally, ...... she's got legs, and she knows how to use 'em!

Very positive locations and easy to fit, as they are all the same colour as the fuselage it saves a lot of masking and messing about when it comes to paint. Notice also I sprayed the interior of the clear moulded cowling in neutral grey, it gives a lovely look from the outside too!

onherlegs.jpg

Ahhh...now thats better!

a couple of coats of Xtracrylix XA1121 Glossy Sea Blue FS15042 and she is beginning to look the part. Its so good, they should rename it Bearcat Blue

Bearcatpaint.jpg

Bearcat004.jpg

All looks well, so I can get some Klear on now and get decalling.