H-65C Dolphin Brainstorming

Well, finally put the wraps on my 2 week ADT with the US Coast Guard Reserve and am getting ready to get started on my H-65C for the build. Just wanted to bounce a couple of issues off of those who have either already built a Dolphin or are doing so for the build as well:

1. On the left side of the fuselage of the Trumpeter kit is a blanked-out window that stands proud of the fuselage. Is it best to build this up from behind with some styrene sheet and then sand it flush, or leave it alone?

2. Every 1:1 scale 65 I have seen in the flesh has had sheepskin seat covers/cushions on the crew seats up front...any ideas on recreating these in 1:48?

3. Has anyone ever tried scratchbuilding the FOD screens on the engine intakes? I have any idea of how to try and do them, but would like some input if anyone has had luck previously.

Thanks in advance for the input, and hopefully will be posting some in-progress shots soon....after my family gets used to having me around the house again, LOL.

Chuck

3. Has anyone ever tried scratchbuilding the FOD screens on the engine intakes? I have any idea of how to try and do them, but would like some input if anyone has had luck previously.

Chuck

I am at the same situation. I plan on using an old wire (brass?) mesh coffee filter to make this.

Have you considered purchasing the Cobra Co. interior set? Regarding your other questions:

1. Your plan for the window sounds good.

2. Sheepskin can be replicated using sanding dust or "flocking" applied to the seat after a layer of adhesive is laid down. Once dry, you can paint it to match the sheepskin color you want.

3. I'd imagine that a FOD cover shaped tool pressed into some suitable screen material should give you what you want.

Have you considered purchasing the Cobra Co. interior set?

Yep, just waiting on Chris to finish the updates to his website so I can order it. Already have the Fireball nose and tail 65-C conversion, rotor blades and decals, as well as the Eduard PE. Just got home from 2 weeks of Reserve duty, so hopefully by Monday will be settled back into the old routine and get construction underway.

Thanks for all the suggestions thus far, btw. The local Hobbytown has the flocking, so will give that a try for the seat cushions.

Chuck

An alternative to the flocking that I've found pretty easy is medical foam tape. The stuff athletes wrap joints with before a game? Glue it down to the seat, paint whatever color and it looks pretty good. I've done it with a couple F-16s so far and it works pretty well.

As for the interior, I'm sure once Chris is back to 100% they'll be pretty easy to get a hold of.

Jon

An alternative to the flocking that I've found pretty easy is medical foam tape. The stuff athletes wrap joints with before a game? Glue it down to the seat, paint whatever color and it looks pretty good. I've done it with a couple F-16s so far and it works pretty well.

As for the interior, I'm sure once Chris is back to 100% they'll be pretty easy to get a hold of.

Jon

brilliant!

semper fi

Dan

Jon

That's a great idea, and since there is an EMS unit based in my fire station, it should be easy to come by. I'll give it a shot. Yep, Chris getting better is Priority #1, and besides I have the SAR Phrog to keep me busy in the meantime.

Chuck