Best way to highlight panel lines ?

A wash with oil paints thinned with good quality turpentine over a glossy suface (i.e. after applying decals), or for a more localised emphasis, try using a sharpened mechanical pencil.

Jens

The next model i do (assuming i do another) i will pre-shade and pre-highlight. so black over the lines and a suitable lighter colour in between them. I saw a model on HS that did this step by step and the outcome was really nice. then oil washes would be my preference for darkening the lines and pastels for putting on lighter areas and stains etc after the painting.

You know, I've been pondering this too. I am working on a 1/72nd scale fighter with a lot of p/e on the interior. Using the Pro-modeler wash and then "scrubbing" it off will not do in this case. :explode: I have thought of spraying everything with Testor's Dullcote, then going over everything with a watercolor pencil, and then using a moistened cotton swab to take away excess. Alternatively, I could spray everything with a coat of Future and then use an artist's oil wash. Hmmm, decisions, decisions. :rolleyes:

Warren

I use a normal pencil, drawing in the panel lines very lightly. If you want then you can use your finger to rub down the panel lines to fade it a bit and provide some weathering around the panels. You could use colored pencils as well, if you need a different color for your panel lines.

I've never had much luck with washes. Some models have thick decals and I have had the wash highlight the decal film as well as the panels despite applying multiple clear coats... :lol: Using pencils is a lot easier to control.

HTH!

Nick

If you really look close at a lot of different A/C you can see that some panel lines are more accentuated than others. Some panels are removed more often for service. On a freshly painted A/C panel lines are not that distinct. On a well worn surface they are more distinct. Research and strive for realism even if you are building out of the box.

I prefer a wash of thinned Tamiya Smoke, applied using a fine brush and capillary action. It alters the paint color just enough to create the effect of a subtle shadow in the panel line, which is exactly what you want.

I prefer a wash of thinned Tamiya Smoke, applied using a fine brush and capillary action. It alters the paint color just enough to create the effect of a subtle shadow in the panel line, which is exactly what you want.

and thats the key there; subtle shadow, and not black line.

I find that a good preshade goes a long way in achieving the proper look.

An oil wash in some spots to accentuate a few lines is nice too, but I don't like the stark contrast washes that seem to have been de jure a few years back.

I personally use Apple Barrel Acrylics because they can be easily washed off. A few drips of paint and some water make a great sludge without all of the extra work of grinding pastel chalks or the messy cleanup of oil-based washes. All you need to clean up is a damp tissue, no thinner or chemicals needed. Cheap and very easy to clean up.

I use pencils for raised lines and thinned Tamiya smoke for recessed. One thing I want to try is making a wash from water-soluble pencil lead. It looks good when painting on paper, so I think it'd be just fine in panel lines.

I use pencils for raised lines and thinned Tamiya smoke for recessed. One thing I want to try is making a wash from water-soluble pencil lead. It looks good when painting on paper, so I think it'd be just fine in panel lines.

King,

Go to Hobby Lobby, or some such type store, and buy yourself some watercolor pencils. Not colored pencils, but watercolor pencils. I love 'em.

Warren