Dan, Im not really sure what it is. None of the windows are sticky like left over tape residue, but they are all fogged exactly the same. Im going to attempt to use some Goo-Gone, and see how it comes out. Another thought was to see if I could strip the future, in the hopes that maybe the tape caused some kind of reaction w/ the future.

Edited by Adam Baker

Well, looks at this point, that the most promising option is to try stripping the future off. I tried pure vinegar, watered down vinegar, and 92% rubbing alcohol, and none of them seemed to make any difference at all. Then I tried using windex w/ ammonia, and it seemed to make a difference right away. Once it dried after a couple of minutes, it looked slightly less hazy, and when wet the windows were almost clear, which none of the other things seemed to do. So, tomorrow evening when I get home from work, I'll keep working on cleaning it. Found out tho Im going to have to be extremely careful b/c I noticed the paint wasnt sticking to the clear plastic very well. Already have a couple of places where the paint came up when I was pulling the tape off, even after scoring around the tape w/ a knife.

Well, went back & checked it this morning, and it definitely looks better. Got a few places where its almost totally clear. I left the front windscreen damp w/ Windex last night, and let it sit, and it definitely made a difference. So tonight I'll be working on stripping the future.

Thought I'd post up some more pic's since its been awhile since I got much. Like I said before, went back & stripped some of hte future off, and the windows looked a lot better. Got it cleaned as much as I want, but going to leave some of it, to give it a dirty weathered look.

The next task is the main & tail rotors. I had painted & glossed the main rotor blades, but had a lot of problems w/ the gloss, so I sanded 'em down, and then repainted & reglossed them again this past Saturday. I had to make a repair to one rotor blade, as I managed to break off one of the mounting pins. So I drilled a hole in the end of the rotor blade, and then heated up a piece of .060" diameter brass rod, and forced it into the hole I drilled, giving me a very nice secure mounting pin.

MH60G-126.jpg

MH60G-127.jpg

After getting all of that taken care of, I let the paint & gloss dry for a couple of days. And then tonight I started working on the decals. The decals are an interesting adventure, to say the least. There are white underlays for the 3 decals that go down on each main rotor blade. And then there's a yellow decal that goes over that. And of course, these decals are just as touchy as the rest of the decals that Ive had to put down on this thing. So after they go down, I have to hit each one w/ some Solvaset, and thankfully it seems to be working halfway decent.

Here's how the blades look right now.

MH60G-129.jpg

MH60G-130.jpg

I think I should be able to get them all decalled tomorrow afternoon, and then hopefully get 'em dullcoated on Wednesday. Ive also got to finish painting the tail rotor, and get everything done on that too.

If Im lucky, this thing will be done by next weekend.

Well, I think that the majority of my problems w/ the decals stem from the fact that they were off register so bad. B/c of that I had to coat them w/ the decal bonder, so they are probably double their original thickness, so that right there could be the cause of most of my problems. As long as yours dont have that problem, I think you'll at least moderately better luck.

DONE!!

Well, about 99% done, but close enough for me to call it done. All I have left is to paint the hub on the tail rotor, and thats it.

Here are the pic's, and I'll add 'em to the finished thread as well.

MH60G-131.jpg

MH60G-132.jpg

MH60G-133.jpg

MH60G-134.jpg

MH60G-135.jpg

MH60G-136.jpg

MH60G-137.jpg

MH60G-138.jpg

MH60G-139.jpg

The interior looks painfully empty, but Im not worried about it, as it was built completely OOB. I know it was said that the door mounted 50 cal's arent exactly accurate, but I thought it looked cool and it helps to fill the interior at least a little bit, so I went ahead & added 'em in. Once I get the tail rotor totally finished I'll add updated pic's to reflect that.

• 1 month later...
  • 6 years later...