I realize this forum is, for the most part, directed at serious modelers who strive for accuracy, but I couldn't resist posting a pic of my little girl's first helo. Amelia is four and a half and this is her first effort. It took us about 1.5 hours to complete. The decals (er stickers) are an Amelia original design. The younger rotorhead next to her is my boy, Jack. She was so excited to get to build with daddy that I see future helos coming soon. A nice diversion from the serious aspects of the hobby and some great family time.

Ray

PICT3506.jpg

Edited by rotorwash
I realize this forum is, for the most part, directed at serious modelers who strive for accuracy, but I couldn't resist posting a pic of my little girl's first helo. Amelia is four and a half and this is her first effort. It took us about 1.5 hours to complete. The decals (er stickers) are an Amelia original design. The younger rotorhead next to her is my boy, Jack. She was so excited to get to build with daddy that I see future helos coming soon. A nice diversion from the serious aspects of the hobby and some great family time.

Ray

PICT3506.jpg

Cute kids! I'm glad to see that Dad has got them introduced to helicopter modeling. I really like the play seat they are sitting on, it looks familiar for some reason......

Edited by 11bee

Absolutely fantastic Ray!

We tend to get wrapped around the axles about accuracy and forget the pure fun of building for the sheer "look what I did" factor! That is so cool seeing her first effort! She'll be knocking out copies of Grandpa's Huey in no time!!!

Great job Amelia!

Jon

Brilliant to see, and she has done a pretty good job too!!

You must be proud of her. My son is nearly 5 and loves sitting next to daddy making his own model, he has no idea what Playstation is so far. It is great to see young kids making stuff no matter what it is. But it is a reminder that we should enjoy our hobby too.

Awesome photo, thanks for that

Cheers

Anthony

Two very cute kids! And, a nice little helo for the display shelf! What a great way to share family time!

Way to go, proud papa!

Wow! Thanks for the positive response guys! Amelia loves being an internet star! I'm glad you guys feel the same way I do that we should have fun as well as striving for accuracy. Nothing like kids to keep you grounded in the fun side. If it isn't fun, they won't do it for long. I thought about starting with a Huey, but decided to start with the Apache in case Millie messed it up. wouldn't want to destroy a REAL helicopter :thumbsup: By the way, that was the Revell 1/72 Snap Tite Apache. A great little kid friendly kit with lots of "cool" stickers that actually resembles the real thing. Next up will be a snap tite Huey (or as Amelia says Hooey). Thanks again for the responses. It makes Amelia and I feel special.

Ray

Edited by rotorwash

:D g'day Ray,

Fantastic shot and great theme mate. It looks like Amelia already has an interest in the "Whiff Scene" with her Hungarian Apache :doh:. Great to see a new generation of modellers coming through. Hope you can continue to feed this interest for a while, at least until she discovers boys in about 8 or 9 years. Well done on a cute family you and your wife have and on showing the kids some quality time with Daddy. Keep up the good work.

:woot.gif:,

Ross.

Wow! Thanks for the positive response guys! Amelia loves being an internet star! I'm glad you guys feel the same way I do that we should have fun as well as striving for accuracy. Nothing like kids to keep you grounded in the fun side. If it isn't fun, they won't do it for long. I thought about starting with a Huey, but decided to start with the Apache in case Millie messed it up. wouldn't want to destroy a REAL helicopter :taunt: By the way, that was the Revell 1/72 Snap Tite Apache. A great little kid friendly kit with lots of "cool" stickers that actually resembles the real thing. Next up will be a snap tite Huey (or as Amelia says Hooey). Thanks again for the responses. It makes Amelia and I feel special.

Ray

:thumbsup:

I be careful young minds are so impressionable. Wouldn't want her to think a Apache is a real helo.

ABSOLUTELY BEAUTIFUL kids you have there!! Tell her congrats on a awesome effort on her first model, and the fact that their sitting in a what appears to be a UH-1 crew seat is TOO COOL. I guess I dont have to tell you that that particular model needs to be put in a glass case and kept in a Fort Knox style vault for You/Her to enjoy in the near and distant future!! Congrat's again on a beautiful family! GO VERTICAL

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Ray

PICT3506.jpg

HURRY, HURRY, they're still young. Maybe it's not too late yet !!!

Get them a beautiful slick fast flying fuel-to-noise converter quick & maybe they will turn out fine after all.

On a more serious note; Congrat's my friend. Always good to see kids following their dad's footsteps into the modelling world !!!

You're truly a blessed man.

"Check Six....."

Spooky.

A nice diversion from the serious aspects of the hobby...

I believe this is a serious aspect of the hobby. Just remember that we will leave this beautiful hobby in their hands some day ;) :D

That is very beautiful model, Amelia. :thumbsup: I hope we will see more of your helicopter models here.

I believe this is a serious aspect of the hobby. Just remember that we will leave this beautiful hobby in their hands some day ;) :D

That is very beautiful model, Amelia. :thumbsup: I hope we will see more of your helicopter models here.

Thanks again guys for all the support! Amelia and I are about to start her first Huey! I'm letting her pic the color scheme so don't be surprised if it is "high vis." She really liked putting the stickers on the Apache so I figure she should love spraying paint! Wish me luck and I'll post pics as soon as we make some progress.

Ray

• 3 months later...

Amelia and I decided to take the next step and paint her newest Helo. This is the Lindberg UH-1B so I wasn't a stickler for accuracy! As you can see she picked a rather subdued paint scheme for her bird as well a some interesting decals (I let he pick the placement). This one looks like a Haight-Ashbury Huey to me!

Ray

PICT9720.jpg

PICT9721.jpg

Millie's collection is coming together nicely!

PICT9722.jpg