Get Out The Red, White and Blue

How come that #4 Thunderbird has a differently colored vert. stabilizer?

I think it was because in the slot position the tail would get really black from sitting in the boss's exhaust all the time so instead of having the poor crew chief scrub it down after every show they just painted it black.

Don't quote me but I think I heard somewhere that it was that way because of the exhaust from #1. They either painted so it didn't show or it was just black from the exhaust.

I could be completely wrong, I'm sure someone will be along who knows.

Mike

From my very short, long-term memory - it was black ONLY from the exhaust from lead (#1) as a show of how tight the formation was. The crew chief was not allowed to clean the tail of T-bird 4 until the slot pilot changed.

I recall standing right next to T-bird 4 on the arrival day at the Broome County Air Show in 1972 and you could clearly see the standard T-bird markings under the exhaust stains. Ahhhh - things were much different back then . . .

As an aside, the Broome County Air Show in 1972 was the second week in June and I recall skipping school to see the arrival show - heck, I was a senior within a week of graduation - NBD! This was only one week after they lost T-Bird 3 at Transpo 72 at Dulles IAP. They flew all of their demonstrations at the BCAS one aircraft short. T-bird 3 suffered a catastrophic engine failure at low level and although the pilot (Maj Joe Howard) ejected safely he was killed when his parachute drifted over the fireball of the Phantom when it hit the ground.

ATB -

- Rip -

A more recent photo of T-Bird 4 - You can just barely make out a slight gray tinge to the tail from T-Bird 1's exhaust.

5004_0A26.jpg

The arrowhead formation with T-Bird 4 snuggled in tight:

IMG_0505.jpg

Edited by RipVW

How about this one from the Nighthawk's final flight from Holloman AFB on 21 April 2008:

F-117Fini-FlightFlagship4-21-08.jpg

The really strange thing is that the original flagship shown in Tony's posting - AC 782 - is now at the Holloman Heritage Park spurriously marked as aircraft 816!

ATB -

- Rip -

Can't quite make out the flag on the tail, but...do covers count?

DCP_2739.jpg

This one's lost some of the paint, but the red, white, and blue Texas flag is still there...

DCP_1697.jpg

DCP_1698.jpg

And one more, same squadron as the F-16, before they inherited the TX tailcode.

DCP_2751.jpg

Edited by BAM'n'IVM