Is Academy releasing a 48th MH-53 Pave Low?

One of the mags this weekend had a letter to the editor concerning a 'new Academy MH-53' Pave Low. I cannot remember which magazine it was I looked at the Tamiya mags, Military In Scale and a couple of the others that I usually don't buy (only SAMI and MAM get my shrinking hobby budget now)

Anyone else know of this? I could not tell if the answer refered to a new MH-53 or the existing CH-53 kit.

Not to put any hope into anyone but I just wondered if it was true, considering that Academy has not announced or released a follow on to the CH-53 kit from a few years back now.

<edit> I was reminded about this spotting this morning with Cybermodelers picture of the day, being a couple of Pave Lows. I wondered if I'd open it up and see an Academy announcement....didn't but a nice picture none the less.

Matt

Edited by Matt Roberts

Well, if it is true, that'd be incredible!

I'd be willing to put money on it being an MH-53E Sea Dragon though. Much easier to do from their CH-53E. The Pave Low is significantly different.

Let us know if you find out anything more!

Jon

I suspect that the letter writer misidentified the version and it should be the MH-53E Sea Dragon. The Academy CH-53E kit is clearly set up for the Sea Dragon since it has flashed over holes in the fuselage for the lager sponsons of the minesweeper. Also, most of the CH specific parts are on one sprue, which could be replaced with a different sprue for the MH-53E.

People tend to forget that is more than one "MH-53".

Edited by Dave Williams

Missidentifying is a possibility as there was also a mention of an Academy Chinook which there is not one. If I swing by Barnes and Noble overe the next couple of days I'll look again to see which magazine it was in....again it was a letter not a news announcement.

Matt

still.....a sea dragon would save me alot of scratch building and would look real nice next to my marine mine sweeper(if it ever gets done).

semper fi

Dan

What do you mean "if it ever gets done"? Of course it will, we have to cross that finish line together - let everyone see some great variations in the 53 kit.

A 1/48 MH-53 Pave Low would be a must have! Here's hoping.

There is no kit of one in 1/48th per say. It can be made relatively easily though, just gonna cost you. You will need a Revell 1/48th CH or HH-53D kit and Cobra Company's 3 MH-53J Pave Low III conversion sets. You could also use the cabin interior out of Academy's CH-53E kit for some great details too. Then to source some Pave Low III Decals. Like I said, it could be done, just pricey. It could be great though.

Edited by HeavyArty
I suspect that the letter writer misidentified the version and it should be the MH-53E Sea Dragon. The Academy CH-53E kit is clearly set up for the Sea Dragon since it has flashed over holes in the fuselage for the lager sponsons of the minesweeper. Also, most of the CH specific parts are on one sprue, which could be replaced with a different sprue for the MH-53E.

People tend to forget that is more than one "MH-53".

Dave,

Any time-line that you know of?

Thanks

Paul

Someone over at Hyperscale posted the same, that they read a Pave Low was on its way.

Ok where was it? I looked at my B&N last night and could not find the magazine I saw it in. :)

I really hope I didn't start a circular rumor here but I did see a letter in a magazine...honest! :worship:

Could the price be any worse than what current Trumpeter and Italeri stuff is right now?

Matt

There has been rumor of a possible Sea Dragon release ever since the first CH-53E kit was reviewed. Academy engineered the option into the basic -53 kit. Question is, when will it happen and will it have the sled with it (or is that going to be a resin aftermarket kit that'll cost as much as the kit?!)

I haven't been able to find anything online that confirms that it is, in fact, on the way. Just a lot of speculation.

Jon

jon now ur just teasing!!!!

make em already. i'll buy a set! regardless if the kit comes or not.

semper fi

Dan

P5180147.jpg

I don't have the ability to right now, but I have passed said refs on to the appropriate people.

I don't have the ability to right now, but I have passed said refs on to the appropriate people.

How bout posting the pics? Can you do that or have you done it already?

Thanks!

Paul

There is no kit of one in 1/48th per say. It can be made relatively easily though, just gonna cost you. You will need a Revell 1/48th CH or HH-53D kit and Cobra Company's 3 MH-53J Pave Low III conversion sets. You could also use the cabin interior out of Academy's CH-53E kit for some great details too. Then to source some Pave Low III Decals. Like I said, it could be done, just pricey. It could be great though.

Thanks Heavy for the information. If the 1/48 Pave Low don't materialize, I will have to take this route.