This site is of a 1/15 H-13D in BRASS... great detail shots of the engine

http://www.fineartmodels.com/pages/product...roduct_area=149

(also look at the 1/15 model on the first website...)

and another site with the 1/15 and great detail shots of the engine:

http://www.largescaleplanes.com/Works/KenF...ASH2/MASH2.html

and frome the American Helicopter Museum:

http://www.fourfold.ca/billm/Aviation/Amer...Sioux/index.htm

The 1/15 H-13 should serve to inspire you....

joe

Hi, Joe.

The Italeri 1/48 is a Vietnam era OH-13S. With a bit of work, it could be backdated.

The OH-13S has a Lycoming TVO (Turbocharged, Vertical installation, Opposed cylinders) 435(cubic inches of displacement) , The D had a Franklin O-335. Externally, not too many differences, the major one being the turbocharger ducting and exhaust system on the TVO.

The OH-13S is also about 16 inches longer than the D ( if memory serves me correctly, the length was obtained by stretching out the transition where the rectangular engine mounting frame turns into the triangular tail boom). The S rotor is also 1 foot greater in diameter that the D.

The S has two fuel tanks, running fore and aft along side the transmission, and the D has a single tank mounted across the engine structure behind the transmission.

Instrument panels vary, but the S has a more complex panel, with additional gauges mounted on a

horizontal at the top of the vertical column. The D mostly has only the vertical column.

The S has the elevator on the tailboom, the D didn't.

These are the primary differences I can remember off the top of my head.

Hope it helps..post a picture if you go for it.

Joe

thanks Joe,

I appreciate it, but I think some of those changes may be beyond what I can do and still do the build justice. I really like the OH-13 and I have the Coast Guard version already. I will probably build it as a VN era helo.

Regards,

joe.

Hi, Joe.

The Italeri 1/48 is a Vietnam era OH-13S. With a bit of work, it could be backdated.

The OH-13S has a Lycoming TVO (Turbocharged, Vertical installation, Opposed cylinders) 435(cubic inches of displacement) , The D had a Franklin O-335. Externally, not too many differences, the major one being the turbocharger ducting and exhaust system on the TVO.

The OH-13S is also about 16 inches longer than the D ( if memory serves me correctly, the length was obtained by stretching out the transition where the rectangular engine mounting frame turns into the triangular tail boom). The S rotor is also 1 foot greater in diameter that the D.

The S has two fuel tanks, running fore and aft along side the transmission, and the D has a single tank mounted across the engine structure behind the transmission.

Instrument panels vary, but the S has a more complex panel, with additional gauges mounted on a

horizontal at the top of the vertical column. The D mostly has only the vertical column.

The S has the elevator on the tailboom, the D didn't.

These are the primary differences I can remember off the top of my head.

Hope it helps..post a picture if you go for it.

Joe

You did a great job of capturing the major differences, Joe. One more though, the H-13S (47G-3B) also has a wider cabin and re-profiled bubble