Transport Wings 1/72 KC-10 KC-330 KC-767

Hi Neil,

Sorry, but I had one more 747 question. I just received the DC-8 kit and its truly brilliant! I noticed it came it its own box. Is the 747 now being sold that came to Hannants in 2009 sold in its own box? or is is still sold only in its plastic bags with the card at the top describing the model and Transport wings name?

Cheers,

Rich

PS: Did those decal links help at all in the end?

Hi Rich,

1 - Yes, the decal links were useful - my thanks.

2 - The DC-8s are the first boxed Transport Wings kits. Future releases will be boxed, but the 747 predates the DC-8s so are still in plastic bags.

As an aside, we have produced the first resin and metal parts for the DC-10 and we are delighted. The resin engines are big and beautiful!!! You look down that long intake duct for the No. 2 engine to see the fan at the end of the tunnel.

Neil Gaunt

Wow, thats awesome Neil

I cant wait to get one to do an Air NZ one!

How did you get on with the stencil data for her?

Cheers

Anthony

This will be our first kit with full stencil decals - our screen printer has ordered a new super-fine screen to do them. There are two sheets of decals: 1 - windows and stencils, 2 - Livery. That way modellers can paint their preferred livery, then use the windows and stencils from the kit (we can also do other liveries more easily).

I will get some photos on our website as soon as the first model is built. I have just assembled a main landing gear - with brake units on the wheels.

It is quite exciting seeing the first items come out of the moulds.

Neil Gaunt

Sounds like the big DC-10 is getting closer & closer!! :D

Did you include window perforations in the plastic?

Take care,

Frank

No there are no window perforations, the airframe comes as pre-cut vacformed parts in 2mm grey plastic (additional cutting and sanding is necessary). The windows come as a decal sheet to give the silver frames round each window. Anyone who wants transparent windows can apply the decal windows as a guide then remove the clear area from each window and glaze as they wish. I did this once many years ago but would not want to do it again!

Because the airframe is vacformed we provide a scribing template for the panel details (the one in the DC-8 kit was very well received) - these kits are intended for the experienced modeller.

As a comment on materials, we believe that we have got the best materials for each part - plastic for the main airframe, resin for engines, pylons and details, and metal for the landing gear to carry the weight of a big model. We decided against big resin airframes because resin can droop or warp more easily.

And yes, the kit is getting close - the limiting factor is the time to produce the decals, it takes an age to do the artwork for all the stencils.

We hope that Hannants will have the kit in early February. A KC-10 will follow.

Neil Gaunt

Thanks Neil,

Earlier the suggestion of including a clear drop-in piece for the wind screens and/or a cockpit as an aftermarket item was tossed around; what was your determination on that? I realize there are many who like solid windows, and vacuforms being what they are make allowances for opening the windows very limited, but personally, if I invested in a monster like that and built it, it would be dressed out to the max, which would include an interior.

Now before anyone starts snapping back, that's just my own opinion and preferences; a solid appearing display model of a DC-10 in that scale would be awesome! :thumbsup:

Take care,

Frank

Edited by oldHooker
Thanks Neil,

Earlier the suggestion of including a clear drop-in piece for the wind screens and/or a cockpit as an aftermarket item was tossed around; what was your determination on that? I realize there are many who like solid windows, and vacuforms being what they are make allowances for opening the windows very limited, but personally, if I invested in a monster like that and built it, it would be dressed out to the max, which would include an interior.

Now before anyone starts snapping back, that's just my own opinion and preferences; a solid appearing display model of a DC-10 in that scale would be awesome! :cheers:

Take care,

Frank

Frank, it is an amazing coincidence but we were discussing cockpits yesterday afternoon! In short it all comes down to economics - we feel it not fair to force every purchaser to buy something they may not want, so we don't put one in.

We are however considering producing after-market packs for the flight compartments - resin bathtub or similar, vacformed transparent cockpit roof/fuselage top and cast metal details plus a decal for the instrument panels.

I would be interested to hear other thoughts - one thing is certain, we need to get the models back into production first!

Neil Gaunt

Aircraft In Miniature Limited

Neil,

I am in in for at least one and quite possibly two. Frank, your idea of opening windows is interesting, I might try that once providing I have enough medication. But seriously, cutting out the windows on something this size sounds like an idea I just might try. I have an old 1/72 scale 727-200 I'm converting ever so slowly from an American Airlines livery to a FedEx cargo carrier. It's much easier to fill in the windows, but the plastic fuselage is very thick. Neil, are you considering FedEx/UPS markings and/or possibly an MD-11 variant?

Paul

Neil,

I am in in for at least one and quite possibly two. Frank, your idea of opening windows is interesting, I might try that once providing I have enough medication. But seriously, cutting out the windows on something this size sounds like an idea I just might try. I have an old 1/72 scale 727-200 I'm converting ever so slowly from an American Airlines livery to a FedEx cargo carrier. It's much easier to fill in the windows, but the plastic fuselage is very thick. Neil, are you considering FedEx/UPS markings and/or possibly an MD-11 variant?

Paul

Hi Paul,

No to Fedex/UPS because of licensing, but yes to considering a MD-11. The plastic is not thick in relation to the size of the models - I have seen and built thinner vacforms but prefer our weight of plastic with the keel that we use for a robust model. Also I don't want to use two thicknesses for different sizes of models, because we buy it a ton at a time.

Oh yes, we now have the artwork done for comprehensive stencil details, plus spare cabin windows with blinds in different settings.

Neil Gaunt

Neil,

Please add me to your list of confirmed customers. I can get FedEx decals made, so I absolutely want one DC-10 and the KC-10 variant when it is ready to ship.

Best Regards,

Paul

Thanks Paul - when we restarted production we asked Hannants to handle all retail sales so that we can concentrate on production. When it is available I will let you know, then you can order from them.

Neil

Thanks everyone. The DC-10 should be out in early-mid February and the KC-10 soon after. We intend doing a new decal sheet for the KC-10 so if any of you have any preferences please let us know.

I will of course put out a post when we deliver. We will also be delivering two Historic Wings etched brass kits at the same time - the Wright Flier and the Santos Dumont 14 bis !

Neil Gaunt

Edited by tnuag
Thanks everyone. The DC-10 should be out in early-mid February and the KC-10 soon after. We intend doing a new decal sheet for the KC-10 so if any of you have any preferences please let us know.

Neil Gaunt

If I had any decal request for this bird it would be a travis afb aircraft with the blue and black tailflash. Also, have you thought of including decals for the boom pipe colors? Those markings are extremely hard to reproduce and if you had them in decal form.....man that would be awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Frank, it is an amazing coincidence but we were discussing cockpits yesterday afternoon! In short it all comes down to economics - we feel it not fair to force every purchaser to buy something they may not want, so we don't put one in.

We are however considering producing after-market packs for the flight compartments - resin bathtub or similar, vacformed transparent cockpit roof/fuselage top and cast metal details plus a decal for the instrument panels.

I would be interested to hear other thoughts - one thing is certain, we need to get the models back into production first!

Neil Gaunt

Hi Neil

Would you know when the 1/72 BAE 748 is going to be released as I can't see it on the Hannants web site

If I had any decal request for this bird it would be a travis afb aircraft with the blue and black tailflash. Also, have you thought of including decals for the boom pipe colors? Those markings are extremely hard to reproduce and if you had them in decal form.....man that would be awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Are photos/drawings available for this version? Same applies to the boom pipe colours - economics apply here; for every colour you add to the decal sheet you add one pound fifty to the price of the kit.

Having said that if anyone can provide the information we will give it our best effort.

Neil Gaunt

Hi Neil

Would you know when the 1/72 BAE 748 is going to be released as I can't see it on the Hannants web site

It is in work - we delivered 25 to Hannants in April and two months later they had all gone!

In line with our policy, since that last batch were produced we have produced new masters for the metal parts. It will be the next resin kit to reappear.

Neil Gaunt

Neil Gaunt

You need to have open cockpit windows - if you want to do this...... :thumbsup:

day_05_69.jpg

(KC-10 at, of all places, the MAKS 2005 airshow, Zhukovskiy)

Ken

the limiting factor is the time to produce the decals, it takes an age to do the artwork for all the stencils.

Neil - let me know if you're needing decal work done. I still do a fair bit on the side.

J

We intend doing a new decal sheet for the KC-10 so if any of you have any preferences please let us know.

I would very much like to see decals for the white/blue/gray scheme the KC-10s wore when they first entered service. More specifically, 22 ARW from March, or 32 ARS out of Barksdale, but any of the "high-viz" schemes would be welcomed.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/comm...mstein_1984.jpg

Neil - let me know if you're needing decal work done. I still do a fair bit on the side.

J

When the MD-11 comes out, nothing would be better than a Jennings-made house colors sheet. Purple and gold, best scheme ever.

http://www.gonavy.jp/bbs1/img/1519.jpg

(and a single sheet/design would allow for all 4 prototypes, as they all had the same elements, some just had more applied than others---only N211MD wore the full scheme)

(and I've got plenty of references, as 211MD is my single all-time favorite plane)

Edited by David Hingtgen