Hello,

I am just starting a Super Hornet and a Hornet, both 1/72nd scale.

The Super Hornet is scheduled for a September deadline as it should be the basis of an article in a model magasine. I normally build in batches of 2, 3 or 4 kits. This time along the Super Hornet (Hasegawa 1/72) I started a Hornet (also Hasegawa 1/72) and a Corsair II (Fujimi 1/72).

Just by chance I discovered that group built. Never tried one. Man, I know I am slow and I normally prefer to post my models when everything is done.

I'll try to beat the November deadline with the help of my editor and the Super Hornet thing.

Now I gathered resin bits for the Hornet. I'll try to use them all on this project (Aires, QuickBoost..). Also as I'll like to represent my models in normal "parking situation at rest" I also decided to deflect all flying surfaces.

I have loads of decal sheet but I have not made my choice yet. What I know is that it is going to be US Navy or USMC. I love weathered machines.

Here is my start :

* Resin parts and preparation of parts

smallf18cresinbz0.jpg

* Flying surfaces cut

smallf18ccutsoa6.jpg

* Cockpit inserted

smallimg6896kc7.jpg

As ever with Aires resin parts, the parts simply are wonderful, very sharp, excellent quality resin, very detailed. But preparation is awful, so much material (plastic) has to be removed so that resin details can find a way. Cockpit floor had to be sliced and replaced by metal foil from photo-etched parts fret. Landing gear well roof now is thin as cigarette paper. The result certainly is worth it but the resin inclusion process is just pain.

Cheers

Eric B.

Edited by Eric B.

Thank you Giacomo

Detailing main landing gears now :

* Unmodified/modified gears

smalllgimg5075qo0.jpg

* Both mains detailes with stretched sprue, metallic tube and electric wire

smalllgimg6904ht3.jpg

* Inside of gear

smalllgimg6908io1.jpg

Brake lines still have to be added

Cheers

Eric B.

Ok OK ok...

I was subscribed to this GB....I will immediately go away since we already have a winner here!!!!!

maaaan...I mean,those are 1/72 gear struts!!!!you kiddin me?!?!?!?

geeeeez,give me a breaaak,that work is outstanding...

are you a 72nd modeller???

Cheers and really amazing and neat work!

:cheers:

Thank you very much all.

I hope the end result will be OK. I have worked on the model mostly painting cockpit grey and all white parts (landing gears, wheels etc... ). Nothing very interesting to show now.

New stage will be finishing cockpit detailing and inserting Aires wheel wells before I can cement fuselage parts together and start to give the model a Hornet shape.

I now believe model will be finished in VMFA-212 markings : either from MAW decals 72MAW002 or Hasegawa decals ref 00729 with a white tail (I am quite used to CAG black tails but white tails : this would be a first in my collection.. And that would be very elegant. Will depend on Hasegawa decals quality.

It seems that VMFA-212 aircraft fit subversion and details I have : SJU-5 ejection seats and older style grills of the gun vents below nose. I'll have to add a GPS dome but otherwise things seem to be OK.

Cheers

Eric B.

Aires wheel wells are inserted now. A lot of filing, both plastic fuselage and resin wells. Aires should work seriously on their part fit!! But result is worth the pain..

Instructions can't be followed due to wheel wells adjusting. I therefore had to cement fuselage walls to build up the area around the wells and be sure how these parts should be cut and filed before gluing them in position.

I am happy I thought about this problem otherwise it would have been hard to guess how fuselage parts might have been adjusted if wells already were glued in position. (better adapt wells to fuselage inner shapes than adjust fuselage walls to resin wells.

smallf18cwellsimg6917hw8.jpg

Cockpit is inserted as well and paint job started with just the basic colours.

Cheers

Eric B.

Thanks all...

Yes Mark I fear that the new resin wells are deeper than the original ones and thus landing gear would be too short. How much I don't know, and I'll pobably know very late in the building process (when I'll have to cement gear and wheels). I'll probably add plactis bits in the gear then..

Now turning again to the front of the aircraft and cockpit.

smallcockpit7219vt0.jpg

smallcockpit7216oa2.jpg

smallcockpit7211tv6.jpg

Very good moulding again by Aires casters. Just that I still wonder why the don't check part fit. Next stage will be fuselage build up;

Cheers

Eric B.

Hello again,

Thanks Jack Swiss for your very kind comment.

I have added some measure of an air intake trunk as the Hasegawa 1/72 F-18s (all versions up to the Super Hornets) really are weak on this point. Air intake trunks just are thin plastic sheet cemented as cylinders. I added resin engine front disk.

A lot of epoxy cement was poured around all gear wells for added strengh (never depend on Super glue for strong joints). I used Super Glue for initial positionning in place and later added epoxy for strengh.

smallairintakesnc5.jpg

Sub assemblies continued with landing gears - A bit of filing, flash removing and painting still has to be done there but this parts will now be set apart for a while.

smalllgfinishoj8.jpg

Next job will be some sanding before I can joint fuselage halves (next post).

Cheers

Eric B.

Thats an awesome work Eric!!!!

I like your idea for solving the intake area!!!

A Q...arent the wheels a bit strange???I mean, they dont even seem hornet's wheels,especially the rear ones!!!

Cheers mate

:banana:

A Q...arent the wheels a bit strange???I mean, they dont even seem hornet's wheels,especially the rear ones!!!

Cheers mate

Hello,

You made me wonder... 6 holes in the hub and bolts around - I looks like Hornet wheels to me (checked in my DACO book - both front and mains).

Maybe that's my painting.. I'll see what I can do..

Cheers

Eric B.

Mmmhhh....that's strange look at this

smalllgfinishoj8.jpgDSCF8154.jpg

can you see what i mean?

that's what i think:

the holes seem a bit larger than the reals

the most visible thing is that the rims go a bit deeper inside the wheel instead of being "at the same level" of the wheels (sorry for the english!)

nothing with you dude,just talking about how accurate is hase in 72 with this hornet LOL!!!!

what are your thoughts?

Cheers

Hi Jack,

See what you mean but the basis are here I believe.

I will check with Italeri or Italeri wheels (I might have some as spares as I won't build the models I had bought). Academy seem better in depth but don't have the holes (and I won't steal Academy parts on their new Hornet)

Else I will work on painting : adding some soot and grime (Hornets seems yo dirty their wheels a lot - as in your photograph) might help to reduce the "depth of view".

Thank you.

Cheers

Eric B.

• 3 weeks later...

The Hasegawa 1/72 F-18C Hornet kit starts to show its age is not state of the art. It needs details a great deal of filling and filling. This also mean a lot of rescribing work as the heavy filing means some panels are lost

smallfillimg8006ux2.jpg

Some of the modifications made beside additions of resin parts (cockpit and landing wheel wells) :

• GPS dome
  • Antennas
  • Small square reinforcing plates at fin base level
  • Round details above wings
  • flap plate (as I plan to build aircraft with deflected flying surfaces)

smallmodif8065bor6.jpg

smallantennaimg8069buk2.jpg

Fuselage now is built and cockpit is fully integrated.

smallcockpitimg8038bh7.jpg

smallimg8063md3.jpg

I slightly changed finish of main wheels as photos I have of the aircraft I plan to build show that hubs are stained by brake dust. This also helps to conceal a bit the fact that hubs are too deep (as shown by Jack Swiss) on the Hasegawa little Hornets.

smallimg8041cs8.jpg

Cheers…

Eric B.