MH-53E HM-15 full color boss bird...

I'm working on a project (I'll let you guess), and I ran across this photo. MH-53Es with any kind of color on them are especially rare, so when I found this one photo of the boss bird with not only full color on the squadron insignia, but full color stars & bars, I almost had kittens. Sadly though, I've only been able to find this ONE photo, and it doesn't have enough information for me to use it for my "project". I need any other photos of this airplane, and I especially need to know the BuNo for it. If ANYONE has ANY other info on this bird, please, please, please, please contact me immediately (jrh@pemtel.net) and let's talk. I promise you'll be rewarded for your participation! HELP!!

J

HM-15bossbird.jpg

The serial number is 163052.

I don't know what a BuNo is....sorry.

Here is another photo.

I'm sure there are more out there.

Perhaps someone more plugged in with the Navy could give you more info.

http://jetwashaviationphotos.com/images/16...%2024-10-07.JPG

BTW....notice that the background used to be white...not red. Same aircraft, though.

JED

Edited by B-1 Nut
The serial number is 163052. I don't know what a BuNo is....sorry.

Actually, that is the BuNo, not the serial number. And checking a couple more sources, yeah, that's the helicopter in the photo.

Edited by David Walker
Actually, that is the BuNo, not the serial number. And checking a couple more sources, yeah, that's the helicopter in the photo.

What is BuNo?

Is that short for build number or something?

Thanks guys. I've got all the other images linked, but I'm not positive it's the same airplane, since the timeframe is obviously different. It's possible the boss bird changed (one got sent to the depot, etc). I've never found another single photo of an airplane marked exactly like the one in my original post. I'm wondering if it's from the Desert Storm period or something? Maybe it's so old there just aren't that many pics online.

Thanks a bunch for the assist! I'll keep digging...

J

I'm not positive it's the same airplane, since the timeframe is obviously different. It's possible the boss bird changed (one got sent to the depot, etc). I've never found another single photo of an airplane marked exactly like the one in my original post.

You got me thinking.

From what I've been able to find online (again, I am no historian like some of the guys here...I can only relay what I've found on the net), the USN received either 44 or 48 MH-53E helos (last one delivered in October of 1994). I feel that this is the exact same aircraft. The chances of two HM-15 aircraft having the same 00 designation would be pretty slim, wouldn't it? I wouldn't think this would be swapped unless the original 00 bird was destroyed....even then would they give another aircraft that designation? Maybe some of the Navy guys could weigh in on this one.

The pics below should show that the art on the aircraft can be different from time period to time period.

http://www.navy.mil/view_single.asp?id=20473

http://www.navy.mil/view_single.asp?id=53892

Far aircraft in this photo

http://www.news.navy.mil/view_single.asp?id=20862

Even different art

http://www.news.navy.mil/view_single.asp?id=20862

That is about all I've got.

Hopefully this helps.

I think the only definitive way to find what you're looking for is to contact someone who is/used to be in HM-15.

JED

Edited by B-1 Nut

Jed,

It is possible that that particular bird got transferred to another unit after maintenance, and another was painted in similar markings. We'd have to look at the squadron's records over a period of time to determine whether it is the same bird.

And I agree, HM-14's markings are waaaaaaaaaay cooler!

Jon

Jed,

It is possible that that particular bird got transferred to another unit after maintenance, and another was painted in similar markings. We'd have to look at the squadron's records over a period of time to determine whether it is the same bird.

I was wondering how that worked....if they were allowed to do that.

If Jennings really wanted to know, I think I saw a nice website for HM-15 with contact info. All it would take is a well-written email and see if someone has enough love for the modeling community to help out.

I must say that now I'm interested to know if it is the same aircraft.

I was wondering how that worked....if they were allowed to do that.

If Jennings really wanted to know, I think I saw a nice website for HM-15 with contact info. All it would take is a well-written email and see if someone has enough love for the modeling community to help out.

I must say that now I'm interested to know if it is the same aircraft.

I only wish I had time for that. The project needs to get done and to the printer this week unfortunately...

That Black Stallions bird is nifty, but the box art bird is one of theirs, and not that one.

Tks!

J

HM-14's high-vis Pegasus head markings put HM-15's to shame. In fact, HM-14's low-vis markings put HM-15's high-vis to shame, too.

Also included in the box :)

J