So now that Squadron has the new HB F-105D listed...

Title pretty much says it all. I'm wondering if there are any unbiased reviews of the kit out there and pictures of the sprues. All I have seen of this kit are the computer generated pictures Hobby Boss has on their web site. I know Squadron just listed this kit as available late last week, so I don't expect anyone to have received theirs from them yet, but I am anxious to hear the opinions of those who may have purchased the kit after seeing it first hand. At $68.00 one could easy load up on a bunch of the old Monogram kits instead. Besides having engraved panel lines, is this kit a quantum leap over the old kit?

Cheers,

Mark

Title pretty much says it all. I'm wondering if there are any unbiased reviews of the kit out there and pictures of the sprues. All I have seen of this kit are the computer generated pictures Hobby Boss has on their web site. I know Squadron just listed this kit as available late last week, so I don't expect anyone to have received theirs from them yet, but I am anxious to hear the opinions of those who may have purchased the kit after seeing it first hand. At $68.00 one could easy load up on a bunch of the old Monogram kits instead. Besides having engraved panel lines, is this kit a quantum leap over the old kit?

Cheers,

Mark

I posted a link to images of the fuselage sprue this week, in fact, I have posted that link a few times now.

Lucky Models has them for $27.00, I'd buy from them, even with shipping they are cheaper. But several and share the shipping with your buds.

I did a search and the only thing I came up with was a picture of the fuselage halves and the nose cone and various other parts from a few months back along with some pictures of their upcoming MiG-17. Is that the picture you're refering too?

I don't think any of us have seen full sprue shots yet.

I figure that will be probably mid week if not sooner via Lucky Model or 1999.co.jp.

I'll also be interested in the F-105G if they molded the ECM pods with the fuselage or separately. I believe the 72nd has them molded with the fuselage but I am unsure what the 32nd had. Shoulda paid more attention to those build articles back then!

Matt

I did a search and the only thing I came up with was a picture of the fuselage halves and the nose cone and various other parts from a few months back along with some pictures of their upcoming MiG-17. Is that the picture you're refering too?

Yes, and I think the next post is correct.

I ordered one from Squadron, and the rest from EricYY. If I am the first to get it, I will post full sprue shots. The previous shots were just of the fuselage. I want to see if the tail and fuse errors are corrected

Excellent. Well I'll be anxious to hear your impressions of the kit when you guys receive it.

I did look at Lucky Model. Even with shipping, their price is almost half of what Squadron is selling them for. I may have to order with them if I decide to get one.

Waiting to see if they come out with a B.

B)

I'm hoping for a B as well, although I am not going to hold my breath for it. Rather I will get the D (or two) and convert one to a B, either the hard way (myself) or wait for some enterprising resin guy (like Harold, please Harold, DO ONE!) to do it and use that conversion.

Edited by Jay Chladek

Since the Hobby Boss D is likely to be based on the Trumpeter D, I guess the same pros and cons apply. Since Trumpeter didn't fix the issues on the 1/72 scale-down I doubt they'll change them on the 1/48.

I didn't pick up the 72nd scale Thud...it had the mishapen nose, tail/rudder and fuselage aft of the cockpit too?

Just got my shipping notice...will be here Thursday. If nothing else is posted on it, I will do my best to get pics up Thursday night

Since the Hobby Boss D is likely to be based on the Trumpeter D, I guess the same pros and cons apply. Since Trumpeter didn't fix the issues on the 1/72 scale-down I doubt they'll change them on the 1/48.

Maybe if Zactoman does a correction set… :lol:

:cheers:

I didn't pick up the 72nd scale Thud...it had the mishapen nose, tail/rudder and fuselage aft of the cockpit too?

<...>

I don't know about the nose rudder, but the fuselage aft of the cockpit was definitely off, I'm afraid. That's why I'll be sticking with the Monogram Thuds for 1/72 scale.

I'm working on the Trumpeter 1/72 F-105D at the moment, and it's a very nice kit despite the subtle problems with the fuselage shape. After admiring Roger Fabrocini's awesome build of the Trumpter kit on another site, I decided that its problems just aren't that bad to warrant me rescribing all those panel lines on the Monogram kit.

At the end of the day it's all about how much accuracy you demand of the models you build.

I'm working on the Trumpeter 1/72 F-105D at the moment, and it's a very nice kit despite the subtle problems with the fuselage shape. After admiring Roger Fabrocini's awesome build of the Trumpter kit on another site, I decided that its problems just aren't that bad to warrant me rescribing all those panel lines on the Monogram kit.

At the end of the day it's all about how much accuracy you demand of the models you build.

Wow, nice build by Roger.

I sometimes wonder if many of us became so accustomed to the shape and look of Monogram kits that we use them as the one and only basis for accuracy even if they aren't totally accurate. Perhaps the new guys are coming out with more accurate kits.

Doug- I will be using your wheels when I build this, which I hope to start Thursday night

Honestly, I like accurate but most of the time I would not even notice most of the minor inaccuracies. This is mostly because I was never around the real things and the times at airshows I get to look at them, the kids are yelling for cotton candy or something and I get just a few moments. Just for comparisons, I will get a pic of the HB and Monogram Fuselages side by side.