129th RQW HH-60G Firefighting

Aircraft flying on fires are required to be painted with bright colors. Besides pink, I've seen the Blackhawks with orange, yellow and green (all flourescents), usually each helo will be a different color to make it easier to tell them apart. The ANG C130 MAFFS (removable air tanker module) and USMC CH-46's also get similar paint jobs.

I took these last year on the Zaca fire near Santa Barbara, CA.

Blackhawk.jpg

Blackhawk2.jpg

Aircraft flying on fires are required to be painted with bright colors. Besides pink, I've seen the Blackhawks with orange, yellow and green (all flourescents), usually each helo will be a different color to make it easier to tell them apart. The ANG C130 MAFFS (removable air tanker module) and USMC CH-46's also get similar paint jobs.

I took these last year on the Zaca fire near Santa Barbara, CA.

Blackhawk.jpg

Blackhawk2.jpg

Geez! That was at the Zaca Fire last year? How could I have missed seeing that thing?!?!?

*the Zaca Fire was burning only about 1/2 hour or so southeast of where I live...*

Geez! That was at the Zaca Fire last year? How could I have missed seeing that thing?!?!?

*the Zaca Fire was burning only about 1/2 hour or so southeast of where I live...*

Well it was a rather large fire, these were at the helibase on the Santa Barbara side of the fire.

I'm out in Manteca visiting my Dad and we stopped over at the Stockton Airport on the Army NG side. They had one of their CH-47Ds painted up in the firefighting markings as well, plus a few of the OH-58s.

Seems everyone is being tasked. I was disapointed that the P-3s werent there though. They must be closer to the action.

Jeff

The P-3s fly out of establishd tanker bases, the military stuff goes to a nearby military facility or the fires helibase. If you get over to McClellan in Sacramento you might catch the C130s, they have 8 activated right now.

Yes everyone is getting tasked this year, there just isn't enough to go around. This has been coming for the past decade but finally all the holes have lined up, massive job vacancies in the Federal wildland agencies, very little movement to replace all the tankers grounded in 2003 (we had 40+ heavy air tankers available in 2002, we are only back to 15 or so now). It will get worse as the rest of the west moves into fire season and we lose all the out of state stuff sent to help. So far it seems we have Blackhawks, CH-47s, CH-53s, CH46s and C130s being flown by the various military services.

In 2004, the UnionAero P-3s flew from Stockton, so I was hoping for a repeat.

Sad that the force has been so decimated. Maybe we'll see a resurgance in funding.

Jeff

It wasn't funding, it was stupidity. After the two tanker crashes in 2002, the FAA wanted the US Forest Service to hire certified aircraft inspectors. Instead the USFS continued to use uncertified inspectors and declared everythning but the P3 as too old to fly. The operators of the P2V were able to get Lockheed to step up and state an airframe life expectancy for the Neptune, but Douglas is long gone and MDD wasn't willing to stick their neck out for the DC4, DC6 and DC7 aircraft that made up about half the tanker fleet, despite aircraft experts that said those aircraft are some of the toughest airframes around and with proper maintenace could continue flying forever.

The FAA does not support the grounding of the tanker fleet and are still asking the USFS to use certified aircraft inspectors. It really is a mess, I just hope this season pushes the right buttons to either provide the funding for a modern fleet, kicks the right people in the nads to release some of the boneyard aircraft for use as tankers or sacks the right people so the still functional tankers can get back in the air.

In an amazing piece of arrogance the man who grounded the tankers, retired a short time later only to take a job with the company he selected to certify tankers for Federal service.

There are also some CH-53 and 46 flying out of lemoore

My squadron HSC-85 is flying out of NAS Lemoore also. The 46's and 53's are out of Miramar and Camp Pendelton. HMH-465, HMMT-164 and HMM-268 to be precise.

Our birds are painted with a fluorescent green paint. Surprisingly the paint is a Crayola finger paint and all we do is painted on with rollers and to remove it you just rinse it off with water.

We've been up here in Lemoore since July 1st with two aircraft. The higher ups have been saying to expect at least another 30 days till we can get back to home to North Island.

Edited by usnavyam3
Our birds are painted with a fluorescent green paint. Surprisingly the paint is a Crayola finger paint and all we do is painted on with rollers and to remove it you just rinse it off with water.

I've wondered what the paint was, it certainly looked hand painted, and I heard it was easily removed. Now I can get some Crayola paint and be official when ever I get around to doing a Blackhawk. :thumbsup:

In keeping with the Firefighting Hawks theme, I'd like to submit this MH-60S of HSC-85 in California last October:

Apparently they're still doing it because I saw two marked just like #62 make a runway app to Mugu yesterday to grab fuel, using RAT PACK xx. I think they went home after that. I had my video with me but they caught me off guard. Didn't see a single MAFFS 130, so they must have them based up North.

Dave

www.TheNorthSpin.com

Dedicated to Aircraft Flight Test for the Aviation Enthusiast

Those are some pretty cool pics of that MH-60s Jon!YThat would make an awesome build with the Dayglo green color.The pink HAS TO GO!!!! on that Hawk.Makes me want to fly an Apache! :woot.gif:

I'd think Pink would want to make you stay in Hawks... or at least wear underwear that matched your sssssuper helicopter!