What...a CH-53E SkyCrane!

The ( WHAT BECAME) CH-53E drivetrain was originally designed to be installed into a Skycrane type Airframe....the CH-53E came after this program was shelved. Look back to late 1960S AVIATION WEEKS.....there were many articles on this.

While doing research on the CH-54 I came across this interesting concept. Just read down some to see it. It was modeled using 1/72nd scale kits.

SkyCrane Concept

Joe

Does anyone else find that guy's series of websites to be a real trip?

That guy? You mean the "...elite group composed of military professionals, aircraft and ground vehicle designers and civilians dedicated towards creating an excellent U.S. military capable of defending freedom both at home and abroad that has a moral compass."

I might send them my UH-64Z Apachawk idea!

Just curious, the Skycrane model has a refueling probe. How hairy an operation is it to refuel with rotors spinning?

You mean as opposed as in-flight refuelling WITHOUT the rotors spinning? :thumbsup:

Oh boy, this guy did it. Now I am going to have to buy anoooother 53E and anoooother 54 and spliiiceeee them together...

A few changes would be in order though: tail rotor would have to be inclined just like in 53E; a modular cargo pod is also a very good idea.

Just curious, the Skycrane model has a refueling probe. How hairy an operation is it to refuel with rotors spinning?

I gave a smart answer thinking one of the guys who does this would chime in and give the real scoop. Not my area of expertise but from what I know about it it really depends on the type of aircraft (both giver and receiver, airspeed differential, etc. For example, you'll notice that both the nose and rotor disk on helos dips further forward the faster they go. Depending on the type aircraft, there may not be much clearance. I've seen video where a Ch-53E gets into oscillations chasing the hose and cuts it.