Sure they do!

VMM-263EG01004.jpg

VMM-263Bossbird2007003.jpg

Question is, what position do they stay in on shutdown. For us, we zero out our stabilator so that it is parallel with the ground. Do they raise their flaps, do they bleed down over time, or are they left in the down position on shutdown?

Edited by Cobrahistorian

Jon

The MV-22B on static display at P-Cola 11/06, I recall the flaps as being in the down position; I think they're left in the down position on shutdown.

V-22 Flaps up or down?, Also known as "do Ospreys have false canopies"

An Osprey cannot perform a Cobra, even if Alan Bussie is at the controls, if there is a Moai in the back.

Edited by Trigger

I'm no expert, and I didn't stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night, but all the ones I've seen at New River sitting on the flightline and the few here at Quantico the flaps are up on them. Maybe I've just never seen them when they've had a chance to bleed off and droop?

Is there some way to lock them in place, so the nacelles/wing can fold up for storage aboard ship? They couldn't be allowed to drop in the stowed position, could they?

Edited by LemonJello
Sure they do!

VMM-263EG01004.jpg

VMM-263Bossbird2007003.jpg

Question is, what position do they stay in on shutdown. For us, we zero out our stabilator so that it is parallel with the ground. Do they raise their flaps, do they bleed down over time, or are they left in the down position on shutdown?

If the nacelles are vertical on a V-22, the flaps are down. They are raised, on the ground, when the wingstow function is selected as the wing will not stow with the flaps down (I seem to recall an incident several years ago when there was a problem with the timing and a flap was driven into the fuselage during the stow operation-I think it happened at the Arlington flight test facility but my memory is a bit hazy about that.)

If the nacelles are vertical on a V-22, the flaps are down. They are raised, on the ground, when the wingstow function is selected as the wing will not stow with the flaps down (I seem to recall an incident several years ago when there was a problem with the timing and a flap was driven into the fuselage during the stow operation-I think it happened at the Arlington flight test facility but my memory is a bit hazy about that.)

Makes sense to me.

Makes sense to me.

The main reason the flaps are down with the nacelles vertical is to reduce the wing area that the rotor downwash impinges on to reduce the downforce on the wing which is working against the proprotors trying to lift the pig off the ground. So, bleeding hydraulics have naught to do with it; they are down by design.

The main reason the flaps are down with the nacelles vertical is to reduce the wing area that the rotor downwash impinges on to reduce the downforce on the wing which is working against the proprotors trying to lift the pig off the ground. So, bleeding hydraulics have naught to do with it; they are down by design.

That's what I thought would be the explanation after reading your previous post, Joe, but I do appreciate the amplification, it makes me feel like I actually have some idea of how the darn things work. Truth be told, I like to build the -22 because so many people rail and gnash their teeth over it, plus I think it's just a cool idea in many ways.

Well, it looks to be beer-thirty on the wall clock, so I'm headed out!