Tamiya 1/48 F4U-1 Corsair

Hello again everybody,

Time for next build - Tamiya's 1/48 F4U-1D using Verlinden's detail set with cockpit and engine, some True Details diamond-tread wheels, and a set of Eagle Strike decals.

I'd also like to build the kit as a 1A instead of a 1D, so that I may use the tri-color markings. I've heard the kit can be built either way, but I'm no Corsair expert so if you have any input I've got a thread in the Props forum that can be found here: http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index....howtopic=158654

Anyway, on to a few pics of what I've got so far:

Corsair.jpg

Of course the build starts with the cockpit. Sanded the kit details flat on the sidewalls to fit the resin parts, did a faint preshade on the ribbing, and shot it with some Aeromaster US Interior Green:

CockpitStart.jpg

SidewallStart.jpg

More to come soon!

Nice cockpit painting, Brewer! :thumbsup: As I mentioned to you before, this Tamiya kit is a real pleasure to put together. Quite "shake and bake." I am no expert on the differences between the 1A and the 1D, but I do know that if you are building the 1A, you will need to fill in the rectangular "step hole" in the port wing with some putty. The "A"s did not have this step hole.

Hope this helps.

-1Ds were typically black cockpits above the side consoles. But now I read you are doing a -1A.

The below link is pretty much my bible for the US WW2 colors. You may find it interesting.

USN Aircraft Interior Colors

Vought F4U Corsair

Sorting out the interior colours of the Corsair is particularly tricky. For the F4U-1 Birdcage Corsairs, photos taken at the time show the cockpits being a very dark colour, most probably black. Analysis of some crashed examples of F4U-1s indicates black, while the factory Erection & Maintenance Instructions called for Dull Dark Green.

As mentioned before, early production Corsairs had their interior surfaces in areas other than the cockpit covered with Salmon primer. This colour mixture was used relatively long into Corsair production. It would seem that all F4U-1s and a number of early F4U-1As were finished this way.

Somewhere during the production of F4U-1A model Vought discontinued the use of Salmon primers and switched to Zinc Chromate Yellow with cockpits in Interior Green.

In the engine cowling area, Vought adhered to the practice of painting its inner surface the same colour as the underside, ANA 602 Sky Gray on early F4U-1s, ANA 601 Insignia White on F4U-1As.

The wheel wells of early model Corsairs deserve closer inspection. Like the cowlings, the main wheel wells, undercarriage legs and boths ides of well covers were painted in the underside camouflage colour, ANA 602 Non-specular Sky Gray. Wheel hubs were silver. However, the smaller forward area of the wheel to which the leg itself retracted was left in the factory primer finish, Salmon. Some aircraft had also Salmon inner surfaces of the small covers attached to the undercarriage legs.

The canvas covers in the wells were probably drab -coloured.

With the advent of the tri-colour camouflage on F4U-1A the same principle was applied with white replacing the Sky Gray with ANA 601 Non-specular Insignia White, and the However, the undercarriage legs remained grey throughout the production of this model, possibly due to the failure or indifference to notify a subcontractor about changed colour specifications. For the record, some photos of -1As seem to show silver undercarriage legs, but it could not be established to what extent such finish was applied. One theory is that Aluminium lacquer was applied on these assemblies during field depot overhauls.

In October 1944 the new factory instructions for the F4U production called for application of Interior Green on all internal surfaces including the cockpit. As an anti-glare measure, all cockpit panels above the lower edge of the instrument panel were to be painted matt black. Curiously, the new directive did not explicitly state what was to happen with the cowling's inner surface. Thus, subsequent machines showed either Zinc Chromate or Interior Green cowlings, until the last standardisation of colour post-war whereupon black was introduced in this area.

During that period, the wheel wells were also painted Interior Green. Undercarriage legs were initially still finished in light grey, but as existing stocks of parts were used up at the factory, the overall Glossy Sea Blue finish was carried over to the undercarriage legs and wheel hubs.

Edited by StevenJ

I've got a small update for you all:

Got the cockpit ready for assembly. Painted everything up, applied a coat of Future to everything, did a sludge wash of Tamiya black, brown, and German grey, and finished up with a coat of Polyscale flat. I highlighted the dials and did the chipping with a Prismacolor Metallic Silver colored pencil. The gloss and flat coats toned down the silver a tad so I'm going to go back and touch up a few spots.

Enough talk, on to the pics:

CockpitFlat.jpg

SidewallFlat.jpg

PanelFlat.jpg

SeatFlat.jpg

Thanks!

After starting the kit, I did alot of research on the Tamiya 1/48 Corsairs and I'm a little apprehensive about the wing issues. I want to build it with the wings down, so hopefully I won't run into any problems. It looks like the best way to do it is to attach the wing bottoms/tops before joining top to bottom and add some reinforcement to the joint.

I'll be assembling the cockpit and joining the fuselage halves soon :cheers:

Thanks!

After starting the kit, I did alot of research on the Tamiya 1/48 Corsairs and I'm a little apprehensive about the wing issues. I want to build it with the wings down, so hopefully I won't run into any problems. It looks like the best way to do it is to attach the wing bottoms/tops before joining top to bottom and add some reinforcement to the joint.

I'll be assembling the cockpit and joining the fuselage halves soon :thumbsup:

Yes, if you assemble the wings in this manner you will have very little difficulty with the wing folds looking correct.

That is an amazing looking cockpit, Brewer! I love your detail, highlighting, drybrushing, etc. :woot.gif:

Looking forward to seeing more progress pics!

:cheers:

Yowza! :woot.gif:

That is some lovely detail painting Brewer :thumbsup:

You've managed to get superb depth here, particularly on the seat and seat belts/head rest. The IP really pops out too.

You seem to have a good technique for creating a 3D effect.

Keep us updated often please.

:cheers:

A little test-fitting in the fuselage to be sure, and the cockpit was ready for assembly. I dab of CA here and there and it went together very easily. It's a shame so much detail is hidden away down in there!

CockpitDone.jpg

CockpitDone1.jpg

Today was a nasty rainy Sunday, so naturally I was able to make alot of progress on the Corsair haha.

I started with the engine today. It's nothing to write home about, but it looks good inside the cowl. I painted the cylinders Tamiya Gunmetal and drybrushed with silver. The pushrods were painted "scale black" (Aeromaster Tire Black). The main housing was painted light grey with a light wash of Tamiya German grey just to add a little depth. I skipped the PE harness on this one, guess I'm not brave enough for that yet

EngineDone.jpg

With the cockpit assembled it was time to join the fuselage halves. I'm very impressed with the Verlinden resin as it fits into the fuselage just as well as the kit plastic (the tub still isn't even glued in place, it fits that well.) I joined the halves with some Tenax and a Touch'N'Flow, and let it dry. I left the bottom section unglued until I attach the wings to ensure that everything lines up properly down there. I scribed the panel lines and rivets along the seams before sanding them - I find it really helps prevent losing the details. Once the seams were gone, touching up the panel lines was a breeze.

The Tenax worked like a charm and the seams required no filler after sanding. Then I finished scribing the entire fuselage and nose, and test fitted the nose and the piece behind the cockpit.

FuselageTest.jpg

Phew! Alot of work today

That's a really neat job....I read through your explanation and well dude,you are doing a very fine job with very great "tools" on your part!

lots of great things!

Cheers and keep it up!

:)