I'm really leaning towards the orange and green Ft. Rucker one but it looks good in the arctic scheme too. The decals in the kit show the eyes with and without the red lines, the instructions show different dates, your pics must have come from the no red lines stage.

With all the pics you've provided I'll be nosing around for awhile before making a decision. I like the eyes but am not to interested in plain OD schemes, I like a little color on my helos. If I don't rip all my hair out building this one, I might even get another one since there are so many options available.

Aaron,

I hear ya. the trainers are pretty cool looking. I think a case of Ft. Rucker trainers of all kinds would be interesting and different. May I suggest that you go with the CH-37A since the kit has the parts. That seems to be what most of the trainers were and I really like the way the stabs look on the tailboom. good luck with the build and please post progress pics. i don't think anyone has posted build pics of one of these here yet.

Ray

Here's an interesting shot. A civil '37

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Sikorsky-CH...jave/0692676/L/

Keystone Helicopters operated a couple in the '70's as flying cranes. I pass by the fuselage hulk of one of them every day in Mojave (kinda fitting).

A buddy was a Chinook mechanic in 'Nam. He said before they deployed, his unit still had a single '37 left, but that every time they tried to fly it, it would blow a cylinder in a hover.

The R-2800's were prodigious oil leakers/burners. Another friend was involved in ferrying a '37 from Edwards AFB to St. Louis. He said they had a 55-gal drum of oil in the cargo bay that they could pump to replenish the engine oil tanks so that they wouldn't run out of oil before they ran out of fuel. He called the 2800's "gasoline-driven oil pumps"

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
Thanks, that Ft Rucker one is nice.

I'm not looking for any particular version, the kit is a B model, but I don't know how much difference there is between the A, B and C. I'm just looking for ideas. I saw the one at the Pima air museum in '99, so when I heard there was a kit I knew I wanted one. I love the old funky helicopters of the 50s like the H-19, H-21 and H-34, you just don't get much stranger looking than the H-37.

Like Via said the kit is full of goodies and the PE screens just ask for engine details to go behind them. I am a little disappointed they didn't include even a crude engine to go in there, but I'm sure I can scrounge up a radial engine that will work. This is a kit I am going to want to spend some time with, so the more I have before I start the better I'll do on it.

Really I'm just trying to start some discussion on the helo and kit so I'll really get into the kit when I do get the time to sit down and play with it.

If you want any photos beyind what is in the posted review let me know, I'd be happy to swap some in box photos for more of your photos.

When you said PE screens, did the kit come with the PE screens for the engine pods? The reason I ask is I have two of 37 kits but they did not come with engine pod screens. I have not built mine because I'm still trying to figure out how to cut those sections out and put screens on that would look good. There is a bow on each side in those screen assemblies and that at my skill level would be impossible to duplicate. I bought after market 2800 engines to build up those pods, but for now it looks like a project too far for me. :( Maybe this is a job for Oliver ;) He can figure it out and show us. :doh:

Charlie

Anyone got any pics of the CH-37 with the huge radar nose ?? - dunno its designation - but it had a HUGE duckbill radome....

Ken

It was designated HR2S-1W and a google of that designation will enrich you to (perhaps) your hearts desire!

When you said PE screens, did the kit come with the PE screens for the engine pods? The reason I ask is I have two of 37 kits but they did not come with engine pod screens. I have not built mine because I'm still trying to figure out how to cut those sections out and put screens on that would look good. There is a bow on each side in those screen assemblies and that at my skill level would be impossible to duplicate. I bought after market 2800 engines to build up those pods, but for now it looks like a project too far for me. :( Maybe this is a job for Oliver :lol: He can figure it out and show us. ;)

Charlie

Charlie.

This is what I would do. Pre bend the mesh over the kit par to get the proper bow. Drill small holes ( inside) all the way around the kit mesh. remove the kit part and install your brass ones once the correct size has been measured. Some sanding might required to make it fit. good luck

Oliver

• 7 years later...

Hello,

I am a collector / researcher, who recently completed a history of the 4 Transport compainies,

that used the 'Mojave' in Vietnam. Mainly for aircraft recovery, the pictures in this thread, helped

enhance my research. I know you guys like to get the detail right, so would be pleased to share the aircraft

markings and seriel numbers, the surviving veterns provided to me. Let me know your points of interest of

this unique air craft.

Best Regards,

John.

1Bx.jpg

3 hours ago, John Jones said:

Hello,

I am a collector / researcher, who recently completed a history of the 4 Transport compainies,

that used the 'Mojave' in Vietnam. Mainly for aircraft recovery, the pictures in this thread, helped

enhance my research. I know you guys like to get the detail right, so would be pleased to share the aircraft

markings and seriel numbers, the surviving veterns provided to me. Let me know your points of interest of

this unique air craft.

Best Regards,

John.

1Bx.jpg

John,

You should have sent me a message as I have collected more CH-37 images since these old posts.  Is you work in the form of a book for purchase?

Thanks,

Ray

• 1 year later...