OK...I've NEVER airbrushed anything in my life. This will be my first attempt at it. I'm about ready to airbrush the fuselage of my 1/48th Hase Tomcat. I've heard the paint should be about the consistency of milk, but I'm just curious, all you experienced airbrushers out there, what is a good ratio of paint to thinner?

That depends on the paint used and the pressure it is sprayed at.

For Model Master enamels I use a ratio of 2:1 (2 parts paint, 1 part lacquer thinner), sprayed at between 15-20 psi.

If you want finer detail painted then you may have to go to 10 psi and thin the paint 1:1.

I use eye droppers from the drug store to mix my paint.

Get one for the paint and another for the thinner.

For Model Master Acryl paint it can be sprayed straight from the bottle many times as it is already thin.

If it needs thinning try the 2:1 ratio and see how that does.

Get a piece of scrap and try different ratios to see what works for you.

Mike

OK...I've NEVER airbrushed anything in my life. This will be my first attempt at it. I'm about ready to airbrush the fuselage of my 1/48th Hase Tomcat.

OK TF123,

First of all, don't paint your tomcat until you know how the paint is going to behave.

Get an old model, no longer loved toy, one of your wifes'/mums' best ornaments and have a muck around. Start by spraying 10 thinners to 1 paint. It will show how the paint pattern is shaped. Practice keeping the nozzle at right angles to and the same distance from your subject throughout the stroke.

Then double up on paint to 5:1. Play around with pressure if you have that luxury. Try and get an even coat, it will be too thin, but you will be able to see where puddles and runs happen. Points to keep in mind for the plastic kit.

By now the smell of reducer will be pretty strong, so go have a bevvie and a look at the tv. or confuser.

Try 3 thinner to 1 paint on a new victim. You will be able to see coverage, When the vase (or what-not) is completely painted, you will know roughly the potential in your hands.

Then attack the tomcat.

G

I'm heavily into Tamiya acrylics and generally find it easy to work with as a 50:50 or 70:30 concoction at about 12-15 psi. More importantly, experimentation is key. Airbrush some old junk plastic beforehand using different ratios. HTH, Ivan.

I cant emphasize more what these guys are saying in regards to practicing on an old scrap kit before.

After experimenting with MM enamels, get yourself a few bottles of Tamiya acrylic paints, a container of rubbing alcohol and mix. I have found that the paints appear more flat when finished, and they dry in a few minutes.

Good things..

Guest waynecollins

I'm airburushing for the first time this weekend as well...

What is the dry time between coats of acrylic (tamiya) and what is their interaction with say humbrol enamels - can they go over acrylics and vice versa.

Also, to clean out the airbrush whats the best and possibly most economical way to do this. Can distilled water be used etc.

Any help appreciated

Wayne