So I was speaking with a KC-135 boomer the other day and she mentioned that refueling during night is one of the most exciting things to see. Now I can't seem to find any photos of planes getting refueled at night, so from a boomer's perspective, what exactly does it look like?

Aloha aerodrew,

Night AAR is no biggy you get use to it, honestly, from a spectators point of view I'd say it's not that exciting. Why? You don't really see anything but lights and a ghostly shape float'n around back there. Go for a day mission if you're going up for a ride, I think you'll appreciate it a lot more. Unless you really know what's going on during a night AR, like what's going through both the Boomer & receiver pilots mind, the lack of depth perception (nothing like being blinded by the Hornets probe light!), etc. it's kind difficult to get the feel of what's really going on. During the day things are generally less stressful; the boomer will be able to focus a little more on explaining the process, and the biggest bonus... You get the see the receiver in all its glory... Go for a day ride my friend!!! :woot.gif:

HTH a little!

Ahui hou :thumbsup:

Mark

Thanks, Buck. I've been on a day refueling flight once, a while ago with F-15s. I think the lighting at that altitude was perfect that a Sony cybershot camera had no problem taking crystal clear photos of them, however I was hoping that another incentive flight should pop up soon with heavies or something. I had the impression that the boom marker lights would make the whole scene including the ARR receptacle glow neon, so I take it the marker lights are mainly for the receiving aircraft to be able to see that nozzle? I guess I'll go and talk to the boomers again to see if they know anything....

Howzit aerodrew,

Yep, the marker lights illuminate telescope markings (extension) on the boom and are primarily for the receiver pilot, they help the pilot stay centered in the refueling envelope (along with the PDI’s & personal visual references). If you run into a receiver pilot out there, ask them about the “green apple†during refueling (more important for fighter types). As far as seeing any fluorescing of said markings during night AAR, very little if any from the Booms point of view… Certainly nothing dramatic :cheers: Hope that helps a little and don’t worry about seeing a “heavyâ€, I’m sure you’ll get a chance in the not too distant future.

Ahui hou :)

Mark

So I was speaking with a KC-135 boomer the other day and she mentioned that refueling during night is one of the most exciting things to see. Now I can't seem to find any photos of planes getting refueled at night, so from a boomer's perspective, what exactly does it look like?

Well from a Hornet's perspective unaided, (no goggles) it's dark, dark,dark, Holy sh#t, there's the basket, plug with less than 3 knots closure. Good times! Get gas, then get the F away. but hey, that's just from a lowly Marine Hornet's perspective.

Now talk covert lighting on a C-130J, and it's dark, dark, goggles, down, oh there it is, plug, fly form on covert lit tanker. Don't peek under goggels. It's black as a sack of A holes and u can't see the tanker 20 feet away!

Rhinotank

Well from a Hornet's perspective unaided, (no goggles) it's dark, dark,dark, Holy sh#t, there's the basket, plug with less than 3 knots closure. Good times! Get gas, then get the F away. but hey, that's just from a lowly Marine Hornet's perspective.

Now talk covert lighting on a C-130J, and it's dark, dark, goggles, down, oh there it is, plug, fly form on covert lit tanker. Don't peek under goggels. It's black as a sack of A holes and u can't see the tanker 20 feet away!

Rhinotank

You make it sound like my grandma could have done it.

:worship::worship::worship::worship:

So I just got to go on an incentive flight this morning and was glad I did! The whole crew was really nice and they let us take turns sitting in the pod with the boomer as he went through his checklist and made the "contact." As for OPSEC reasons, I can't discuss the details but the receiver aircraft was a "heavy." Took a while and ran into some problems trying to connect, but he did a good job of explaining the whole process to me. There was also a second plane doing a refuel that was visible from the cockpit and the pilots courteously moved their heads just so I could take pictures of it. In the end, everything worked out fine and we landed safely so no need for me to come in and work the jet tomorrow :thumbsup: I kind of laughed when the pilot asked for his "code 1 candy," where if he lands the plane with Code 1 status(no problems in flight) then he gets a candy.