Italieri BAE HAWK 1-48th

Good afternoon does anyone have any details about the future release from Italieri of a BAE Hawk in 1-48th? I see Hannants are already listing it as a future release and one of the mags lists the price as £19.99. The Airfix is not a bad shape but very lacking in any real detail so would be great to think we are getting a fresh modern tooling.

Regards

Considering that the neew Airfix C-130 is the Italeri kit, and the Airfix 1:72 Gripen is the Italeri kit, I wouldn't be surprised if Airfix returned the favour... However, £20 sounds awfully expensive for an Italeri kit unless it also contains resin and photoetch like they have done with some kits lately.

Jens

Edited by jenshb
Now, would this be the standard trainer/base defence variant?

I believe it is the T.1/T.1A variant. I'll be having a look at it when it arrives to compare it to the Airfix kit, which is pretty good but not brilliant.

I really am hoping with a price tag of twice the price the price of the current airfix boxing that Italieri are going to at least try and up scale there 1-72 kit which was quite nice. After seeing the Hawk painted in Battle of Britain colours at Fairford las weekend I really have the bug to get some good hawk kits of the bench.

The original (and only) Italeri 72nd Goshawk was of a prototype only. A red and white paint scheme with a beefed up nose gear was all it had...well maybe an arrestor hook. It fell into the same pitfall that alot of Italeri stuff does it is of a prototype when alot of changes happen by the time it gets to squadron service. Witness the Gripen, F-22, X-35, V-22 et al.

What will be interesting is seeing what is possible from the molds when we get our first look over the next couple of months. Sprueology may give us hints as to what is ahead, Hawk 100s...Hawk 200....Goshawk. To me it'd been a mistake if all they can do is a Hawk 60 from thier molds. The Brits will love it as they'd be able to do T-1 and T-1As to thier hearts content, but the rest of the world that uses second generation Hawks would be left out in the cold waiting for the resin guys to come out an play.

Matt

• 2 months later...

Has anyone got one of the new Italieri kits yet???? I see they are listed but still no spru shots can anyone tell me if its worth spending my hard earned cash on??? or should i carry on with my stash of Airfix kits a a third of the price.

I'm eager to see the Italeri new Hawk in 1/48 myself. And infos gathered are hard to find. What I got is the kit will include PE parts for the front panel, mirrors and seat belts. Also poseable airbrake and flaps.

While on Hawk subject, Airfix is retooling their 1/72 Hawk T.1 and will release a new tool Mk.100 series as well. :thumbsup:

Anyone has more infos ?

I have a strange feeling that maybe they have just gone for an up scaling of the 1-72nd kit which would explain the need for PE. Being a Brit i should be very Pro Airfix but im still not 100% happy with what they are turning out, they really are about 5 -6 in the Kit manufactures ratings in my eyes.

I doubt if it's as simple as that - bear in mind that they announced the 48th Hawk before Airfix and then held it back, so it may well have been around in the planning stage almost as long as their 72nd kit.

Still haven't seen the sprues though - seems they have it in stock at my local hobby shop - I should really go over there and just get one! By all accounts so far it's not bad though and a little better than the Airfix kit in terms of shape, which is encouraging. Haven't seen any mention of any etched metal though although it seems the flaps are separate. The Airfix kit isn't bad but it's far from perfect. I can live with a simplified cockpit - more worried about whether it actually looks like a Hawk this time because the Airfix one does look a little od in places. Incidentally, the forthcoming Airfix 72nd kit is also a bit of a mystery. Airfix claim it's an all-new tooling but then they also claimed that the Meteor F8 was an all-new tooling (I heard this being uttered face-to-face so I know that for certain) and yet it turned out to be the MPM/Xtrakit as suspected. So I guess we'd better wait and see.

Edited by Chox

The new Italeri Hawk is out here in the UK, I have heard it comes with a small

etched fret of brass, I've also seen a scan of the decal sheet, it has options of

an all grey a/c of 100 sqdn, all black with tiger on tail 74 sqdn, a Swiss AF red/white

training colours and a dk green/dk grey RAF.

Incidently the new Airfix 72nd Hawks, I have heard that they have had access to

the cad drawings/files for the real aircraft, so it should hopefully be pretty accurate.

-------------------------

Incidently the new Airfix 72nd Hawks, I have heard that they have had access to

the cad drawings/files for the real aircraft, so it should hopefully be pretty accurate.

Which is especially welcome as Italeri, I think, has permanently modified their 1/72nd Hawk mold to accomodate the Mk 100 series kit.

Cheers,

Andre

I've also seen a scan of the decal sheet, it has options of an all grey a/c of 100 sqdn, all black with tiger on tail 74 sqdn, a Swiss AF red/white

training colours and a dk green/dk grey RAF.

Hannants have a scan up of the decals.

Cheers,

Andre

I doubt if it's as simple as that - bear in mind that they announced the 48th Hawk before Airfix and then held it back, so it may well have been around in the planning stage almost as long as their 72nd kit.

Not quite - Airfix announced their 1/48 Hawk at the 2002 IPMS Nats where they had a black-RN mock up (made from the Premier kit) on display. Italeri didn't announce theirs until early 2003 by which time design work on the Airfix kit had already been completed.

Incidentally, the forthcoming Airfix 72nd kit is also a bit of a mystery. Airfix claim it's an all-new tooling but then they also claimed that the Meteor F8 was an all-new tooling (I heard this being uttered face-to-face so I know that for certain) and yet it turned out to be the MPM/Xtrakit as suspected. So I guess we'd better wait and see.

No mystery at all on both counts - the Meteor was always announced as being ex-MPM tooling and was common knowledge on various forums, the 1/72 Hawks are all-new Airfix tooling, as has already been mentioned here and elsewhere.

http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index....t&p=1465211

Edited by Jonathan Mock

Well I don't want to get into a pointless argument, but good grief, you're being a bit pedantic ain't ya? All I was trying to point-out is that the Italeri 48th Hawk has been planned for a long time. It doesn't matter exactly how long for heaven's sake! Anyway, if we're nit-picking, I should add that the latter comment about the meteor just isn't true. As I said previously, I know for certain ('cause I was stood next to him!) that a senior member of the Airfix team specifically said that the Meteor would be a new tool kit. Presumably the new 72nd Hawk will be a new tool (it's not like there's much chance of it having come from elsewhere!) but I wouldn't want anyone to be proverbially counting chickens...

However, the good news on the Italeri 48th Hawk is that it's getting very favourable reviews - everyone seems to think it's better than the Airfix kit which is good news indeed.

Edited by Chox
Well I don't want to get into a pointless argument, but good grief, you're being a bit pedantic ain't ya? All I was trying to point-out is that the Italeri 48th Hawk has been planned for a long time. It doesn't matter exactly how long for heaven's sake!

Just stating the facts, that way people are not misinformed.

Anyway, if we're nit-picking, I should add that the latter comment about the meteor just isn't true. As I said previously, I know for certain ('cause I was stood next to him!) that a senior member of the Airfix team specifically said that the Meteor would be a new tool kit.

And yet other people and forums were reporting that it was the MPM kit - go figure.

Presumably the new 72nd Hawk will be a new tool (it's not like there's much chance of it having come from elsewhere!) but I wouldn't want anyone to be proverbially counting chickens...

No presuming about it, they are new tooling.

Just so we can get back to the original reason for this post I have just ordered a kit so hopefully within a few days i should be able to give a brief run down of how good or poor this kit is. I'm really looking forward to it as im sure it will be better than all that has gone before. and maybe some of those nice resin guys can do a cockpit set if things arent as good as hoped. Looking forward to some new 1-72nd hawk kits too.

Best wishes

Whatever Jonathan, I'm sure we're all suitably grateful for your input.

Anyway, Blacksheep, I imagine you could use the Neomega cockpit for it, although I would imagine some other add-on parts will be coming along soon. But then I guess it all depends how good the Italeri cockpit it and how much work you need to do to it in order to make it good enough. I read somewhere that the canopy framing was a little odd but that it has an engraved MDC which is good (as long as it's not overdone), so it sounds like it's one of those kits that is better than anything else, but still needs a bit of work on it. Personally I can settle for that! Gonna see if I can track one down tomorrow, if not at the weekend.