Why do you build sci-fi?

Go look at the overall number of real space models out there. It's pretty small, even in comparison to submarines. The problem most contest organisers have with small categories like that is whether to give them their own category, which may wind up with one or no entries, or put them in with something that at least has some entries. In some cases, seperate space categories have been set up, but without actual entries, it won't happen. Same here, if there were enough space entries, there'd be a seperate section.

Alvis 3.1

Too true. Last year I missed a first and second in the "Missiles and Space Vehicles" category to a FIGURE of Apollo 17's Harrison Schmitt. I entered two complicated RealSpace Models launch vehicles and lost to something that - I think - is one chunk of resin. No assembly required. Should've been in a figures category.

But I'm not bitter.

Stomp, stomp, slam...

Anyway, speaking to the subject at hand...I do aircraft primarily, but started gaining more interest in the space program and I'm successfully creating another backlog of subjects in Real Space, Star Trek TOS and Star Wars. I haven't built the Sci-fi yet as an adult, but it is certainly being driven by nostalgia.

Rob

P.S. One could argue that the EVA suit and PLSS are a spacecraft, but that would be pushing it (Yikes! Time to take off the propeller beanie).

Edited by Propellerhead

So when I was a kid, and I'm probalby older than some of the Sci-Fi (re:Star wars) modelers here, I always went to the double features and got to see most time two now classic Sci-Fi movies on a Saturday afternoon.

Now here I am older and wiser (?) and with a couple of disposible dollars and I find I can buy and build occassionaly a model of the wondeorus things and creatures I saw in those movies.

Good enough for me!

<_<

I simply love everything Sci-fi!! and to build the stuff I see in movies is great fun :) I actually didn´t even realize there was Sci-fi kits until I was like 15-16 years old when I suddenly found some ERTL stuff from Star Wars! I were hooked instantly!

And the very nice thing with Sci-fi is that nothing can be wrong....I don´t have to do tons of research to get something done correctly at the same level as factual objects.

Cheers! :doh:

• 2 weeks later...

I build (real) Science (eg 1/144 Saturn V & Apollo), and Sci-Fi (lots). There are rivet-counters - my space-cammed X-Wing lost 10/100 for 'lack of accuracy to reference (film, not my reasoning).

I build Sci-Fi 'cos I enjoy it (and bugger the rest), it draws great chicks (I married one who is a real WOW!!!), 'cos I am entertained by Sci-Fi films (lots) and it is an adjunct to modelling current or historical subjects (= an extension of the time-line).

George, out...................

I am going to be the devil's advocate in this case and put forth my case that classifying Sci-Fi models with Real Spacecraft/Rockets/Launch Vehicles models and/or placing these two widely separate subjects in the same category is a gross misrepresentation.

I fully agree with you, although I don't think the original poster went off on this tangent, so you are a a bit off base to be hijacking his thread for this separate topic. It would have been better to start your own thread.

How about placing car models and submarine models in the same group/category ?

Actually it would be more like placing a fictional sub....such as the Seaview in with Real life Sub models.......or sticking a Mad Max car in with models of real cars.

And yes, I build ONLY REAL Spacecraft models. I don't care one bit about Sci-FI. There is too much wonder and mistery in the Universe to be fooling around with fantasy.

Well for the moment your grasp of the universe is mostly Sci-Fi until we find out what is out there. First comes the dreamers....then the scientists and engineers. Sci-Fi is the relm of the dreamers.

As for the separate forum for Real Space......I'm afraid it would be a very quiet forum made up of only a few people.....heck I wasn't even sure there was enough people to keep a Sci-fi forum going.......so I put these two categories together. I would glad separate them if I thought there were the numbers of people to support two separate forums.

On the new ARC site, the Real Space and Sci-Fi models are in different catergories in the gallery section. But I'm still loading articles into the database.

I enjoy a good sci-fi build every now and then.

In fact nearly half of my stash is sci-fi.

And remember, someday sci-fi will be sci-fact!! So we're building the future.

Just watch some of the older sci-fi shows and movies. How much of that weird stuff are we actually using now???

Jody

I never realized just how many sci-fi kits I had until I recently moved to my new home and now have all my kits in the open. I must have 4 times as many sci-fi kits as WWII props (my other fav).

As to why I build? One reason was that I have collected many sci-fi toys over the years. Some I even kept from my childhood. Star wars, Macross etc, all kinds of stuff. I am a huge geek when it comes to some of that stuff.

But I found that for display pusposes, models can and do look much better. Even for someone will poor modeling skills like me. After searching online galleries I was amazed at how realistic models could look. Another reason is that some of my toys are pushing 30 years old and I can't display them as I would like due to sunlight, dust etc. Plus models are far cheaper (most of the time in my xp) than trying to find vintage toys on ebay. Even after I buy all the supplies to build them.

Plus I am not so worried about accuracy. I am modeling something that never exisited other than in a studio model or CGI. And the Studio model was painted a certain way to look different on screen. What to do? I say whatever you want :bandhead2:

• 2 weeks later...

Nothing like controversy!

The similarity between Sci-Fi and reality is imagination! It takes a lot of it to conceptualize an aircraft, but if no technology availiable can support the concept of, say, a starship, it must remain imaginary, to fly as a plot device in a movie or a computer sprite in a game. The best of these creations are actually designed around "rules" that must be followed,just as real machines must follow the laws of physics.

(And both can make lots of money!)