Tamiya 1-32nd F-4J

Im about to tackle the Tamiya 1-32nd F-4J and wonder if anyone who has previously built this kit could give me some tips.

I know from articles that there is a certain amount of removal of repair panels although i have very little exsperience of replacing panel lines and rivets.

What needs to be done with the cockpit? the parts all look very highly detailed is it just a case of a good paint job and a few straps on the seats??

and help or points before i start this huge kit would be much appreciated

Regards

Im about to tackle the Tamiya 1-32nd F-4J and wonder if anyone who has previously built this kit could give me some tips.

Regards

Been there and done that recently. Here's what the boys told me about 6 weeks ago, including Sabre (Jim) above.

http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index....;hl=Tamiya+F-4J

So far everything they said is bang on, so I'll only add the following after you read their responses:

1) Buy the wing angle jig. You'll need it for sure.

2) The raised panel removal is fairly well documented here:

http://modelingmadness.com/reviews/viet/kolf4c.htm

3) I had no trouble with the tail section fit, so rear stabilizer removal isn't a must.

4) Depending on your skill level, I'd put up with the kit intakes and all their shortcomings if you're new to complex resin stuff. I used Seamless Suckers and they were a bear to install. I hear the DMold ones are better, so maybe pick up a set of these instead.

5) Make sure you trim back the front vents just behind the radome. They need about 1/8" of cutting to get them to fit properly. Check pics of the real deal to see what I mean.

6) The Aires exhaust set is awesome. I highly recommend it.

I'm sure there's lots of other stuff (I'm only half done), but this should get you going on the right track.

The only real problem I ran into was the fuselage is a bit "narrow"...causing an unsightly wing root gap.....this can easily be remedied by placing small diameter brass tubing, cut to the right length & secured insdie the lower fuselage...it'll take a bit of trial & error...but will certainly be doing this with all the 32nd Tamiya Phantoms I build from now on.....

The rest of the kit is very well engineered & no real problems have been encountered thus far....

HTH..

Good to go,

Jim

Edited by Sabre