Protecting recessed painted areas

The recessed wheel wells under the wings of my 1/32 FW-190 are already painted and sealed with Future.

Now, that I'm ready to spray the wing undersides with a different color, I'll be using a Play-Doh modeling clay, which removal is not easy, as learned from previous experiences.

What do you use to protect the wheel wells or recessed spaces from being painted again.

I welcome your experience on this subject.

Regards,

Flores

I've gone that route as well once with Elmer's poster tack, it was really difficult to remove.

What I usually do is just use wads of damp paper towel. What I do is tear off a square piece, not too small, then dampen it, do not soak it, just enough water to make it easy to shape, then I'll stuff the whell well openings with it. Depending on the size of the opening, you may need several pieces to do this. Sometimes, from therer, Ill cut a piece of masking tape to cover the wadded paper towel as well, that helps to ensure a clean seperation line.

Blu-Tack aaaaaaall the way!!!!

it adheres very well and conform to every type of shape....when the job is done,lifting it off is waaay simple and voilà...job done!!!!!

hope it helped...

Cheers mate

:salute:

It's too late now but next time paint the underside colour first then lay a couple strips of wide Tamiya tape across the open bays. Cut out the outline

of the gear wells using an X-acto blade and then spray the wells. Remove the tape and you're done.

:wave:

Hello folks (above),

1 - Heard about the multiple uses for Blu-Tac, not available where I live, though;

2 - Using the gear doors seems a good approach;

3 - Never thought of using wet toilette paper. Thougt of damp cotton, instead.

Now, I have some options.

Thanks a lot,

Flores ;)

Have been using the damp paper towel technique for a long time now...only thing extra I do is to coat it with liquid masking agent...using a toothpick, you can control the flow right up to the wheel well edge...same technique for cockpits too....after dry, just shoot your paint & lift off with the tip of an Exacto knife....any little fuzzies that might be left in the gear well can easily be removed with tweezers....

HTH.....

Good to go,

Jim

3 - Never thought of using wet toilette paper. Thougt of damp cotton, instead.

No, not toliet paper... I use paper towels or napkins.

Have been using the damp paper towel technique for a long time now...only thing extra I do is to coat it with liquid masking agent...using a toothpick, you can control the flow right up to the wheel well edge...same technique for cockpits too....after dry, just shoot your paint & lift off with the tip of an Exacto knife....any little fuzzies that might be left in the gear well can easily be removed with tweezers....

HTH.....

Good to go,

Jim

Great idea Jim... Ill have to try that next time.

It's too late now but next time paint the underside colour first then lay a couple strips of wide Tamiya tape across the open bays. Cut out the outline

of the gear wells using an X-acto blade and then spray the wells. Remove the tape and you're done.

:thumbsup:

Yeah, I like this method too.

Kev

Hi Charlie,

Thought using toillet paper because its fibers, I believe, are smaller and softer.

I was not implying any other meanings :thumbsup:

Flores

I was just worried because of its fineness (is that a word) that it would break down easier. Paper towel will definitely hold up better.

But now, I am seeing the advantages of using toilet paper instead. :D:

I suppose if were really careful with the amount of water used, it could work very well.

Charlie,

I started using damp cotton but don't recommend using it at all as some of its fibers get loose sticking to the wet paint.

Switching to damp toilette paper.

Regards,

Flores

But now, I am seeing the advantages of using toilet paper instead. :yahoo::I suppose if were really careful with the amount of water used, it could work very well.