Finally got my act together and started something, so let's get the preliminaries over with. Box art:

326451386.jpg

If you look at the price lable it says 'Martin 1.75' - it has been stashed for a long time.

326451392.jpg

Schemes. This will be a Battle of Britain period machine. Not sure if the aircraft sub-type is correct.

326451402.jpg

Decals. Will they hold up?

326451395.jpg

Parts. They look OK, except one of the fuselage halves had some plastic flake off like it was de-laminating. I managed to clean it up by brushing on some MEK then sanding. It may need bulking up again, got to decide on this.

326451379.jpg

This will be an OOB non AMS build, so it was stick a few parts together, then squirt them with some paint. I didn't have any Grau 02 to hand so mixed some grey and green together. Good enough for me.

peebeep

I like the classic Heinkel He 111. Keep it up.

With pleasure!

Some more progress. Main components in sub-assemblies:

327031115.jpg

And together:

327031230.jpg

Quite a bit of filling required. In the spirit of a Matchbox build I made a late decision to include crew figures and have started to paint them.

peebeep

• 2 weeks later...

That is looking good. Nice to include the MB crew!

If you are worried about the decals check a spare. I have found old MB decals stand up well.

When putting them down, clean all the old adhesive off them first. The put a pool of future/klear down and the decal on top. Put more klear on top; then wick the excess away. Sucks them old decals down really well.

Keep up the good work,

Julien

A quickie update - crew painted and canopy masking done apart from the nose bubble (we hates masking canopies, yesss, it took ages), which I will leave off until near completion. Progress was impeded by ATC camp at RAF Odiham.

330775358.jpg

My weekend programme shot to hell, usual SNAFU, not to mention a trip to the IPMS Avon show.

peebeep

I saw the "recent post" listing an He111 in the overall forum list and I'm glad I clicked it! Looks great!

Out of curiousity, only the 3 crew figures?

Oh, and you may hateses masking canopieses, but youses does a good jobs...ses.... :worship:

Out of curiousity, only the 3 crew figures?

Yes, just the three. These old matchbox kits are very basic and have the minimum number of components.

Thanks for the encouraging words. :worship:

peebeep

Ive noticed this is fast becoming Britmodeler-US. Good thing, that.

As for the Heinkel I did one a long time ago and it ended up in the bin for no good reason but a move and clean out. I still have the Preiser Luftwaffe lilliputs I had planned to display with it. Maybe I need to hound up another He-111...

But who am I kidding - my eyes would pop out' their sockets messing with that thing. Off to find a Monogram version in 1/48....

• 2 weeks later...

I made some progress whilst away - despite protests from the SO ('You're not taking all that gear are you?!') - and finished cleaning up and filling, then coated up with a greenish grey:

332587546.jpg

Predictably the nose gun got broken off! After the paint had hardened up it was on with some unfeasibly heavy pre-shading:

332587564.jpg

The Plan is that pre-shading will help to conceal the original Matchbox trenches without actually filling them in - it could of course backfire and simply over emphasise them, we will have to wait and see.

One thing I have noticed about that kit parts is that the U/C doors don't appear to be quite as asymmetric as plans and photos show them up to be.

I will be pushing on with this during the week, as I'm hoping to give it an airing at the Medway show.

peebeep