Its been a bit of a maraton, but I have finished both kits - the Amodel ASh-82 radial-engined variant plus the Zvezda AM-35 in-line engined version.

Both models together.....

Pe-8_01.jpg

The Zvezda model....

Pe-8_02.jpg

Pe-8_03.jpg

The Amodel kit....

Pe-8_04.jpg

Pe-8_05.jpg

Trying out some grayscale images...

Pe-8_06.jpg

Pe-8_07.jpg

Next to a Lancaster - showing just how big the Pe-8 was....

Pe-8_08.jpg

Ken

Edited by Flankerman

Great looking models, Ken! Truly like them.

One question though. Had the ASh-82 equipped Pe-8 a longer wing span or is it only an optical illusion?

Actually, if you don't mind, I'll throw you another question. How buildable and detailed these kits are?

Stunning, i knew they were big but... wow.

just a little point, do you mean the Amodel is a radial aswell? only you say it twice, as if you only meant to refer it to one of the kits and they dont look like radial engines? i do know zero about planes and less about Pe8s so please feel free to tell me to shut up! ;]

again, nice models.

Very nice models. I almost bought the Amodel Pe-8 but I was frightened off by the price tag, that and the fact that the AModel kits I already have are all looking like difficult builds.

If I may ask, until the release of this kit, I thought the Soviet WWII air force was a strictly tactical air force whose purpose was to support the army. Now, you've provided me evidence of three different heavy bombers that were deployed by the Soviets: Did these bombers function in a strategic role? If not, then what role did they play in the war?

Thanks,

Patrick

just a little point, do you mean the Amodel is a radial aswell? only you say it twice, as if you only meant to refer it to one of the kits and they dont look like radial engines? i do know zero about planes and less about Pe8s so please feel free to tell me to shut up! ;]

again, nice models.

Doh!! :lol: - my bad - I meant to type AM-35 Inline - I have edited the text..... sorry !

patman...

If I may ask, until the release of this kit, I thought the Soviet WWII air force was a strictly tactical air force whose purpose was to support the army. Now, you've provided me evidence of three different heavy bombers that were deployed by the Soviets: Did these bombers function in a strategic role? If not, then what role did they play in the war?

That was part of the problem with the Pe-8.

As well as having problems with a suitably powerful engine (it had about FIVE different engines fitted), there was a lack of cohesion in the VVS about what they wanted it for.

Plus the fact that production was stopped and started a few time at different sites all added to the Pe-8s problems.

Only 93 were built.

janman....

One question though. Had the ASh-82 equipped Pe-8 a longer wing span or is it only an optical illusion?

It is an optical illusion - both models are absolutely the same and spot on regarding accuracy.

janman...

Actually, if you don't mind, I'll throw you another question. How buildable and detailed these kits are?

OK - but I don't want to pre-empt the magazine article for which they were done...... but here goes....

These are just my personal opinions mind.......

The Zvezda offering is a much better kit - in that the plastic is well moulded on automated high-pressure machines and Zvezda is able to churn them out by the zillions.

This is reflected in the price - the Zvezda kit is one third the price of the Amodel kit.

Amodel is more of a cottage industry, with low-pressure moulds and labour-intensive production.

Luckily, they have both produced different versions - Zvezda is an early-war inline-engined machine, Amodel is a late-war, radial-engined machine with a 'cleaned-up' nose.

Zvezda's kit is the easier build - but it is produced down to a price - the panel detail is engraved and simplified, the turrets are not quite the right shape - and the glazing simply attaches to the front and rear - it doesn't fit 'inside' the fuselage.

The Amodel kit is much more difficult to build - every part has to be cleaned up.

But it is more accurate in the shape of the panel detail, dorsal and rear turrets, it has better interior detail (although you can't see it when finished!), more accurate undercarriage and wheel hub detail etc.

Zvezda's interior is more 'delicate' - and they provide instrument decals, Amodel has internal ribbing, no instrument decals, better bucket seats but no trim wheels.

Zvezda's glazing is clear, but quite thick with oversized raised framing - I also had a great deal of trouble getting Kabuki masking tape and painted decal strips to adhere to it - I had to coat the glazing with Klear (Future) before anything would stick !!

Zvezda provide just one choice on the decal sheet - Amodel give six options.

Both manufacturers obviously intend to kit different variants in future (Zvezda will do a radial, Amodel an inline) - and this is reflected in the breakdown of parts - lots of inserts and subsequent joints to fill.

In summary, Zvezda is the better, more buildable KIT, Amodel makes up into a better, more accurate MODEL.

But it is the price that will put people off going with the Amodel kit - which is a pity :whistle:

Ken

Nice models Ken!! I didn't know that you build airplanes from WWII?

I do occasionally - anything Soviet that takes my fancy....

TB-1 'Zveno'.......

http://vvs.hobbyvista.com/Modeling/Tupolev...Duffy/index.php

TB-3 Zveno 'Aviamatka'.......

http://vvs.hobbyvista.com/Modeling/Tupolev...Duffy/index.php

Vacform Er-2 (still have the Amodel kit in the stash).....

http://vvs.hobbyvista.com/Modeling/Ermolae...Build/index.php

Contrail vacform Pe-8..........

http://vvs.hobbyvista.com/Modeling/Petlyak...Duffy/index.php

Soviet Lancaster....

http://vvs.hobbyvista.com/Modeling/Avro/La...Duffy/index.php

I want eventually to have a collection of Russian bombers..

Illya Mouromets

TB-1

TB-3

Pe-8

Tu-4

Tu-16

Tu-95

Mya-4

M-50

Tu-160

From the above, I only need to do the Mouromets and the Mya-4 - and maybe a converted Tu-80/85 - to complete the collection

Ken

Wow, Ken :thumbsup:

Good job! Both Pe-8 and concurrently. ;)

How Zvezda's was in built? I'm doing similar kit at this time, but my will be make for Luft-46-universe like a flying carrier of BI-1 interceptors.

:trolls:

Wow, Ken :thumbsup:

Good job! Both Pe-8 and concurrently. ;)

How Zvezda's was in built?

See my comments above - the Zvezda kit is simple enough to build - except for the heavy raised glazing on the clear parts - it was very difficult to get anything to adhere to them.

I'm doing similar kit at this time, but my will be make for Luft-46-universe like a flying carrier of BI-1 interceptors.

:trolls:

That sounds like an interesting 'What If'?

Will they be mounted under the inner wings - like the Bisnovat B-5 ???? or maybe one under each outer wing panel - that would be neat.

Ken

PS - Do you go to the Moscow model club that meets on Monday evening ?? I may be in Moscow in early September - we are going to Gelendzhik for the GidroAvia salon and will transit through Moscow.

Edited by Flankerman

Ken, Awesome work as usual!!

Say, wanna supply something for the site? I realize you're writing for a magazine ( :P ) but even if you want to supply something for the gallery would be great. I'm looking for an August monthly, though... :D

That sounds like an interesting 'What If'?

Yes, "what if". Something crazy, like soviet heavy interceptor complex from 1946 year. :rofl:

Will they be mounted under the inner wings - like the Bisnovat B-5 ???? or maybe one under each outer wing panel - that would be neat.

I think about something like place one BI-1 in bomb bay, drown it between doors. And, BI of course will be with ramjets ;)

PS - Do you go to the Moscow model club that meets on Monday evening ?? I may be in Moscow in early September - we are going to Gelendzhik for the GidroAvia salon and will transit through Moscow.

Yep, I go there every monday :)

Can you remind me in PM, when you definitely will be in Moscow? :)