SAAF MiG-21SA (M) **painting and decaling done**

Well chipped a litt more away on this build :)

1. Picked up my freshly printed SAAF "Cookie Cutters" courtesy of Mav Decals, hmmm I need 4 for this build but there's 10 wonder whats coming next :cheers:

Picture043.jpg

2. I've installed the wings, new engine and avionics scoops, the IFR probe and ECM blisters underneath the wings

Picture042.jpg

3. And a closer look :) Nearly time for paint!

Picture041.jpg

:cop:

D

HA! Building is complete! WooHoo! After my earlier setbacks she is as of tonite ready for the paint shop. Not seen in the pics are the weapons and gasbags she'll be carrying.

1. Gun pod added. Due to the difference in shape between the MiG and your average Hawk I've needed to fill in the sides with my clear drying glue.

Picture046.jpg

2. Changes the tube on the Aden-ish pod for something a little more detailed :woot.gif:

Picture048.jpg

3. Here you can see something else i'm trying, clear part masking with some prestick for those difficult curves...lets see if it works! Also another shot of the new AVulc pod :cheers:

Picture049.jpg

As always comments and critiques welcome!

D

Hi all!!!

Got up bright and early today to start painting my SAAF MiG.

1. Over all shots, note unlike the profile I've gone for a larger 3sqn badge rather than the 2sqn badge as depicted. I've also brought the darker colour up onto the fin too:

Picture228.jpg

Picture225.jpg

Picture224.jpg

Picture220.jpg

Picture216.jpg

Picture219.jpg

2. Weapons and pylons:

Picture222.jpg

Picture223.jpg

ps. yes I did paint that set of fins on the AIM-120 after seeing the pic :wave:

3. Close up of the Sqn badge and "cookie cutter"

Picture217.jpg

Here I forgot I was using a decal sheet with a continuous surface so the first flag's clear film is HUGE, don't want to change it now 'cause I know I'll screw up!!

4. A/c number:

Picture218.jpg

Now for the gripes: Gloss surface? YES

Mirco Sol/Micro Set? YES

Silvered Academy decals? YES

I don't know what it is but Academy making shockingly bad decals, seriously folks nice kits but for the love of Krom please print better decals!!!

Well now its just a touch of weathering and a matt coat to seal all the goodness in :thumbsup:

Crits and comments always welcomed!!

D

Great build.

Fantastic idea to start with. I would lokk to take a crack at the mirage with MiG powerplant :thumbsup: . So thanks for the pic.

The addition of the new nozzle really changed the appearance of the MiG 21. Tha paint job pushed it above and beyond. :thumbsup:

The load that the MiG carries is massive, It looks to be on the heavy side of a nippy fighter.

Looking forward to seeing it done.