Tarmac base for dispaly

Hi all

I'm looking for an image of a tarmac in 1/48 that I can print and glue to a base for modern jets.

I see alot of them here and elsewhere... looks like big square pavement blocks with some yellow lines etc...

Lemme know if you have any?

Thanks

I scratch build my bases and it is real simple to do.

Basically I start with 1/4" thk foam board

1. Using a ball point pen, mark the squares to scale (about 10 to 12 scaled squares) pressing firmly to leave the lines embossed.

2. I paint the tarmac with appropriate colors including any runway markings.

3. re-trace the lines I drew earlier

4. add cracks in tarmac with fine point felt tip pen

5. dull coat if necessary

6. Use water colors to simulate oil stains & high traffic areas.

I build bases in about 30 minutes, paint drying is what takes the most time. Here is a base with a 1/48 F-16D as example.

99-01.jpg

99-09.jpg

Edited by drhornii

By the looks of the second photo, there was a tornado in Tulsa!

I used to fly out of Vance AFB so I know how treacherous they can be! :thumbsup:

ATB -

- Rip -

Edited by RipVW

I don't have any pictures, but I use old CD cases that I'll never use again. I super glue them closed, scribe in lines, paint/weather, then put the aircraft on the base. It works better for smaller aircraft though, more like WWII props. Quick, simple, low space diorama base.

I don't have any pictures, but I use old CD cases that I'll never use again. I super glue them closed, scribe in lines, paint/weather, then put the aircraft on the base. It works better for smaller aircraft though, more like WWII props. Quick, simple, low space diorama base.

I go to the thrift store and load up on wooden cheese trays and picture frames, and then basically use the foamboard trick on top of that.

By the looks of the second photo, there was a tornado in Tulsa!

I used to fly out of Vance AFB so I know how treacherous they can be! :lol:

ATB -

- Rip -

When in Altus (during the 70's), we had a twister hit the base and toss the C-5's around like toys. As for Vance (just like Altus), it is the section of Oklahoma that is considered tornado alley. Tulsa gets a few but not as bad as Western Oklahoma. Too many trees & lakes possibly helping in not fueling the tornado's.

BTW, the black base is one of those IMEX display cases. Great for taking kits to shows and prevents things from sliding off the car seat on top of the model :thumbsup: No, this has not damaged any models yet but things do get tossed around in the car. Also allows me to lay a blanket over the kit to prevent direct sunlight from doing damage.

CRUD... this thread makes me wish i did a hi-res scan of the old tarmac and carrier-base prints that Revellogram did on the back of model boxes for a little while. Those were a nice source of a quick base.

Do it then!