1/32 MiG-29 Details and corrections

Hello, everybody! Hi, Chris, personally, and thank you much for posting pics of my stuff here also for giving the link!

First of all, sorry for some possible linguistic "blemishes" I can make while typing this. I'm not so much good at English yet.

Hey, Chris, we've got mostly a positive feedback here!

Well, actually it was my idea to make somewhat of a correction set for Trumpeter's MIG-29M, 1/32 scale.

I've been waiting long browsing from time to time aftermarket manufacturers' sites hoping to find someday corrected nozzles for Trumpeter's Fulcrum that I have bought almost three and a half years ago. Alas, up to the recent time not any manufacturer offers the nozzles. Some time ago the Aires released corrected exhaust pipes for Trumpeter's Flanker - very nice stuff, indeed. But no response to the Trumpeter's Fulcrum... Being a meticulous modeller thus I decided to make my own improvements starting with the nozzles. Then the idea arose to share my improvements with other fellow modelers who want to build their Fulcrums "close up" to the real thing. But how? So I shared the idea with Zactoman. He accepted my offering with enthusiasm and then I stuck with the project tinkering with the afterburner parts.

Of course, there is a defenit risk for such a cooperation. After all, Chris and I don't live the next door to each other. It takes much time to deliver packages with the parts through thousands of miles over the ocean. In any way I hope that everything will turn out nicely and after a while many of Fulcrum' fans who have buried their Revell's or Trumpeter's kits somethere in their stash, will finally see the light in the end of the tunnel. :)

I do know that there are many very talented and meticulous guys here on ARC who make their awesome scratchbuilds improving their own models. Why won't you share your terrific improvements with some other modellers who can't make the same things but would be happy to use some of your scratcbuilds released by any aftermarket manufacturer? I don't want you to get me wrong but I think the idea is not bad. :woot.gif:

Also I don't think that there are too many obstacles to do that. After all it's all depends on your own will, isn't it?

As for me, I don't care much about any benefits I can get. It's all up to Chris. I only hope that the corrected nozzles would be as cheeper as possible. Of course, Zacto should take into account all his expenses associated with moulding, casting, packaging and so on...

And then... Maybe the improved parts I offer are not so far ideal, but, in any case, they are the best what would be available soon on the aftermarket.

Thanks once more for the feedback and support!

Cheers and happy modeling!

Alexander.

B)

now, these are some good news for the russophiles finally. zactoman goes east :thumbsup:

got the trump one at home. starting my search for the revell...3...2...1... now :D

(that means, count me in for two) :)

looks great and all that but what about the airbrake does it take soem trimming to install the larger burner cans in there
Yes the airbrake requires a little trimming and can use some slight re-shaping while you're at it.

It also requires that the airbrake area be pinched a little to get the rear section shaped to fit the correction set. I'm including an insert which will allow it to be pinched the proper amount.

The outboard trailing fuselage pieces also need to be trimmed back. I am including a filler piece for this area.

Here you can see the area that needs to be trimmed away to fit the correction (for the early tool kit).

MiG_fix_5.jpg

I poured a first set of molds to test fit the parts. After oiling up the cracks I discovered that I forgot to scribe a location for the small scoops that will attach to the forward sides of the piece... :shoot:

MiG_fix_6.jpg

The parts fit well and I will scribe that missing detail before pouring production molds.

Alexander is making great progress on the exhaust details!

Awesome detail on the feathers...

51947--9560421-m750x740.jpg

Sweet magic inside...

51947--9560424-m750x740.jpg

I received the photo-etch flame-holders today.

These are going to look great mated with Alexander's parts!

MiG_fix_7.jpg

More updates in the coming days...

:shoot:

YOWZA!! :worship:

What a terrific team you two guys make..... :shoot:

This is a great collaboration. Just superb.

I hope you can be persuaded to continue with upgrades for the Revell kit. I'm very interested to see what might be possible and being the lazy modeller that I am, I fully intend to let you guys do all of the hard work before I build mine! :lol:

;)

Can't wait to see more.

:worship:

I hope you can be persuaded to continue with upgrades for the Revell kit. I'm very interested to see what might be possible and being the lazy modeller that I am, I fully intend to let you guys do all of the hard work before I build mine! :salute:

Oh, Guy, c'mon! You're lazy?! Stop teasing me! :D

I would beleive that if never see your builds before. But as for hard work, well, someone should! Should we? :cheers:

I'm keen to see your brilliant Viper in full her Glory.

Cheers and happy modeling.

Alexander.

:thumbsup:

Nosecone and pitot

MiG_fix_8.jpg

Thanks for the encouraging comments. I'm happy to hear that so many of you are excited about an updated kit!

Any chance of you also making the enlarged spine for the "C" (Code name "Fatback") bird???? :woot.gif:
Hiya Whack-a-loon! We gotta hook up and down some Moose Drool one of the days! Are you going to ShoCon in Ogden Utah on Sept 13th?

I'd love to have a C-spined 9-13 myself but as there are no decals available (yet?), I doubt I'll be doing one soon.

I'm hoping to get back on my YF-23 ASAP!

Thanks for looking! :worship:

Edited by Zactoman

Do the 9.13 spine :) ;)

Just keep it as a separate release.... Now that I know all of these parts are coming, I guess I'll be looking for a big MiG at the show!

Really, REALLY outstanding stuff BTW - wish it was going to be at the show, It'd be my first purchase!

Edited by pcotcher

Actually, the second one on the second link looks like markings I've seen on a 9-13 in the Yefim Gordon book, though I don't have it in front of me. It's just drawn on a 9-12 profile.

Come on, Zactoman. You're a gifted graphic artist, and you've already expanded into photo-etch (apparently, based on this set). What's stopping you from starting Zacto-Decals???? Get on it! :)

Wow , just catching up with the updates here - I abandoned a Revell MIG-29 about 10 years ago when I finally realised just what a crock the engine areas were - having said that , I've still got the East German retirement decal sheet , so , I will be investing in these updates .. what a great time we're living in - the Fisher Mirage updates , this .. wow.. what a great time to be working in 32nd!!!

Hey Chris!

Fantastic work as usual! :) I can only echo what others have mentioned about a 9-13 spine and wingtips. Markings are more interesting. You might want to Eli from Zotz decals to do them since it's right up his alley. If not Guy at Linden Hill Imports might be interested. Afterall, they did a few SU-27 sheets for the Trumpeteer kit. Give them a shot. You never know? ;)

This might be a dumb question, but are you planning on doing a new cockpit set for it too? The only one I'm aware of is the old TAC/CAM set.

:pray:

Another small update...

I've started working on the chaff dispensers.

After studying lots and lots of pictures I've noted that 99.9% of the time they seem to have a thin sheet metal cover on them such that the round holes on the top aren't visible. I will be modeling them with the cover in place...

The first chaff dispenser is coming along. Note the size difference!

MiG_fix_12.jpg

The molded in platform on the fuselage top will need to be filled.

I'm tempted to include whole new vertical stabilizers but in an effort to keep the cost of the kit down I'm opting to include detailed drawings showing how to correct them yourselves.

MiG_fix_11.jpg

These small modifications aren't too difficult to make and though they don't make the parts 100% correct they are a big improvement from the original kit parts.

Fantastic work as usual! I can only echo what others have mentioned about a 9-13 spine and wingtips.

This might be a dumb question, but are you planning on doing a new cockpit set for it too? The only one I'm aware of is the old TAC/CAM set.

Thanks Cyrus :thumbsup:

I'm considering a cockpit set, and a wheel well set before even considering a 9-13 spine...I'm really anxious to get back to my YF-23 though...

:cheers: