1/32 MiG-29 Details and corrections

Very nice stuff Zacto-buddy :salute:

The aux intake covers will save alot of time and look very neat.

Another small update...

I've started working on the chaff dispensers.

After studying lots and lots of pictures I've noted that 99.9% of the time they seem to have a thin sheet metal cover on them such that the round holes on the top aren't visible. I will be modeling them with the cover in place...

The molded in platform on the fuselage top will need to be filled.

I'm tempted to include whole new vertical stabilizers but in an effort to keep the cost of the kit down I'm opting to include detailed drawings showing how to correct them yourselves.

These small modifications aren't too difficult to make and though they don't make the parts 100% correct they are a big improvement from the original kit parts.

Thanks Cyrus

I'm considering a cockpit set, and a wheel well set before even considering a 9-13 spine...I'm really anxious to get back to my YF-23 though...

:cheers:

I hope you plump for wheel bays and cockpit sets in addition to the terrific work that you've both already put in.

These two areas are desperately in need of some TLC. When my cousin built his he noticed that the main gear door did n't sit right. It should open against the intake side but the Revell parts sit some way off. Perhaps wheel doors could be included in the main gear bay set?

Another area which is a little inaccurate is the rear stabilator attachment. Any plans afoot to deal with this Zactoman?

I noticed your comment regards cost. Is there any mileage in offering the aftermarket sets seperately? Cockpit as one set, wheel bays as another, tails and chaff dispensers as a third, A/B nozzles as a fourth set, etc.....

Aires seem to offer this sort of choice for the modeller and appear to be quite successful in their approach. It would give modellers the choice of how much detail they wish to add. Guys like me will buy the lot, others may only choose the cockpit tub or nozzles for example. Of course, it would involve significantly more work on your part which would need factoring in to the equation but it might be a popular move...... :unsure:

Whatever you decide, rest assured you can count on my support when I get round to building my Fulcrum.

Great detailing work Chris!

I hope you plump for wheel bays and cockpit sets in addition to the terrific work that you've both already put in.

These two areas are desperately in need of some TLC.

I agree with geedubelyer concerning the wheel bays but I was wondering if the 'old' CAM/Tac Scale cockpit is correct for the Revell kit

regards,

Luca

Come on Zacto, now is the time for the "Super outrageous Mig-29 ultimate conversion". Include the whole enchilada. Stabs, cockpit wheel wells, everything. Offer tham as a complete set, or as individual items. Price the indies a little higher than if you were to buy the whole thing. Then threaten to hold back a few for e-bay....oh wait, flashback. Anyhow, you are well on your way to the ultimate replacement conversion, take that final step! :)

Edited by jburch
Great detailing work Chris!

I agree with geedubelyer concerning the wheel bays but I was wondering if the 'old' CAM/Tac Scale cockpit is correct for the Revell kit

regards,

Luca

Yes, the TAC/CAM cockpit was designed for the Revell kit. It does show its age however, being a bit less refined and detailed than current AM cockpits. It was designed in the early-mid 90's, so you can't really fault it, but a replacement would be advisable.

Yes, the TAC/CAM cockpit was designed for the Revell kit. It does show its age however, being a bit less refined and detailed than current AM cockpits. It was designed in the early-mid 90's, so you can't really fault it, but a replacement would be advisable.

OK! Thanks :D

WOW,I can't wait for this set to be released,and hope that you'll offer wheel bays and cockpit as a separate sets.We'd finally have big,accurate Fulcrum I always dreamed about. :salute: I'm so buying this set,no matter what is the cost.

Great stuff Zacto. :) Cheers,Miro.

Hey Zacto, if you need any more walkaround shots, I can get some pics of the MiG-29 we've got on static here at Nellis.
Thanks for the offer Chris. I'll double check my references and PM a request tomorrow!

Thanks for all the encouraging comments guys! :worship:

If I do a cockpit and/or wheel wells they will be sold as sepearate kits from the airframe correction set.

Chaff #1 is ready for primer.

MiG_fix_13.jpg

I don't know if anyone else brought this up,Revell kit would benefit from some decent resin wheels,as the ones supplied with the kit look like wheels from the wheelbarrow.

Cheers,Miro.

:thumbsup:
...Yes the kit has at least minor flaws from nose to tail and wing tip to wing tip...

I would like to do a 'completely' corrected kit, but that would just get too expensive...

I'll look at the wheels and consider them too...... :doh:

Seriously guys, I completed a trade for a Revell kit, and a Trumpeter kit for detail parts over the weekend, and in reviewing those, even with Zacto's conversion, it's still miles off - but that's been said already.

So here's the drill: We're all going to buy Zacto's stuff, and IMMEDIATLY dive into his converion on our kits - inaccuracies and all. This activity is to build up the modeling karma necessary to have a new kit announced/released when we're all about 2/3 done with the Zacto update. The all new kit really is the only way to go.

But that's not going to stop me from doing this project!

Paul

Even if it doesn't line up to plans and whatnot, it isn't THAT terrible. with a few shae changes like Chris is doing, it'l be a pretty decent representation. Heck, Chris's own innacurate build he's shown in Iraqi markings looks pretty good even without the changes. Guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Edited by thetoe17

Chaff dispensers are finished.

MiG_fix_14.jpg

Please don´t forget the intakes, which are a too small in the Revell kit.
Actually the intakes don't seem too undersized, if at all. In fact they are identical in size to those on the MiG-29K/M from Trumpeter (who is known for meticulous research and accuracy...).

One problem with the intakes that does bother me though are the FOD doors. so I fixed them too!

MiG_fix_15.jpg

Thanks for the comments guys! :doh:

Fantastic job so far. But intake doors are little bit round in bottom third.

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Slovakia---...-51)/1373065/L/

http://www.lietadla.com/gallery/galleries/...wk/img_7092.jpg

Chaff dispensers are fantastic also :worship: .

Be careful by placing. Chaff dispensers are inclined other like fins (they shoot between fins).

Sorry for my English.

Edited by Lubos
Fantastic job so far. But intake doors are little bit round in bottom third.Chaff dispensers are fantastic also <_< .

Be careful by placing. Chaff dispensers are inclined other like fins (they shoot between fins).

Welcome to ARC Lubos! :)

Thank you for the input. Both details are there on my parts, they are subtle though and the previous photos didn't show these features clearly.

MiG_fix_16.jpg

Another area which is a little inaccurate is the rear stabilator attachment. Any plans afoot to deal with this Zactoman?

B) Any thing else??? J.K.!!! I don't want to know!

This was another area that has bothered me from the start.

The stabilator itself, like the vertical stab, can be corrected by the modelmaker rather than me including resin and driving the cost up.

MiG_fix_17.jpg

I'll include the corrected attachments and drawing of how to make the corrections...

I'll be vacationing for the next couple of weeks so won't be adding any new postings.

When I return I will be pouring molds on Alexanders tailcone parts which are ready to go. The Trump replacement tailcones will go on sale shortly thereafter.

The rest of the Revell fix and the extra intake trunking for the 'new tooled' Revell kit will be ready soon after that.

:P

• 2 weeks later...

hello every one.

im new to this posting stuff so bear with me if mess up. lol

ive been reading the last few pages and saw all the pics posted. i cant wait to get my hands on this set. ive had the revell kit stashed away for awhile an been thrown off by the exhaust area. ive noticed that the wing tips are mentioned as being wrong. what is wrong with them and is it an easy fix? great work zactoman!!

I'm back from vacation but have to delay progress on the Revell correction for a few more days while I catch up with orders and pour some fresh molds.

I will be pouring molds on the tailcones in the coming days and should be able to release those for the Trumpeter kit soon!

Chris, I know you've heard this a lot, but PLEASE give us a 9-13 spine.....please......
You have no idea... :)
im new to this posting stuff so bear with me if mess up. lol

...ive noticed that the wing tips are mentioned as being wrong. what is wrong with them and is it an easy fix?

The wingtips are a relatively easy fix.

The front corner needs to be a slightly bigger radius as does the rear corner and the outer edge needs to be flattened with some material removed behind the wingtip sensor.

photo74.jpg

(Photo from Prime Portal)

Also note that the aileron will need some alteration as well as it should extend further back than the rest of the wing. I will be including drawings and instructions about how to correct these areas rather than resin replacements, again to keep the price down...

The 9-13 has different wingtips all-together...

005-mig-29_leftunderwing.jpg

(photo from Prime Portal)

:woot.gif: