1/32 MiG-29 Details and corrections

Superb work Chris, which is the best Revell single seat kit to buy? Until reading this thread I thought they were all essentially the same.

The only real difference is that the first (US Revell) boxing had deep engine tunnels that required a strange stepped transition piece at the rear to mate up with the very undersized nozzles. Subsequent RoG versions, including the -UB, "fixed" this by making the tunnels on the bottom fuselage more shallow to more closely match the diameter of the nozzles. The nozzles were the same, still grossly undersized, but it now just looked slightly less weird. Other than that, decals are the difference.

It sounds like Chris is going to make an exhaust correction for both versions of the kit, but based on the photos on the first page, it appears that original version is going to require less resin to fix.

Edited by Dave Williams
Superb work Chris, which is the best Revell single seat kit to buy? Until reading this thread I thought they were all essentially the same.
Thank you Kagemusha :huh:

As Dave pointed out, the early Revell release will require less cutting and resin. Check out the last photo in my second post of this thread which shows the two kits overlayed.

I will be releasing corrections for both kits but the later correction will cost a little more due to the extra parts.

The actual extra part may have some extra scribe detail not present on the Revell kit as the early Revell kit is completely smooth in this area.

The photo-etch flame holders came out much more fragile than I had anticipated so I made a bend/installation fixture.

MiG_fix_18.jpg

I'd suggest painting them before trimming and touching up if neccesary after trimming...

:huh:

Damn...with all the work you're puring into this I think I've found my 1st 1:32 jet. how much is the conversion expected to be? $100? $150? (sorry if this is horribly inacurate, I've no clue as to what 1:32 resin should be priced)

Awesome work, really cool to see the ultimate way of "loving your career!" :huh:

(EDIT): IMHO, when this conversion is done, finish your YF-23 before the 9-13 spine. Modelers have waited awhile, another quarter or so won't end the world.

Edited by sv51macross

Really nice touch on the formers for the flame holders! Other aftermarket companies that offer similar releases should take a look at these and include them in their sets, as getting the holders symmetrical is a challenge, let alone how fragile they are!

REALLY IMPRESSED - instant buy upon availability!

As if it wasn't already.

Really nice touch on the formers for the flame holders! Other aftermarket companies that offer similar releases should take a look at these and include them in their sets, as getting the holders symmetrical is a challenge, let alone how fragile they are!
Thanks Paul, glad you like the fixture.

I try to put myself in the consumers shoes. I ask myself "what if I had to build this?", then I ask myself "what if I had to build this 10 times?".

Fit and ease of assembly (including trimming the parts) are almost as important as detail and accuracy...

Some parts out of the first production molds:

MiG_fix_19.jpg

I'll be pouring multiple molds and doing up a quick instruction sheet in the coming days and the tailcones will be ready for release.

:cheers:

Seriously though, is there an estimated price for this conversion? I need to know how much I should begin saving.
I'm not going to announce a price for the tailcones for a few more days and until I've done a few more castings and determined if there will be a high reject rate. The parts are difficult to cast...

I'm still unsure on a price for the Revell correction as well. I'm still not sure how many more parts I'll be adding to the set!

Just start saving as much as you can! :D Hopefully it'll be less than you anticipate and save for!

I couldn't resist and did a quick paint test between castings:

MiG_fix_21.jpg

MiG_fix_20.jpg

Alexander?

How did you do it?

I agree, they are pretty awesome!

:D

Hi, Chris!

Seems we both have done a really nice stuff. Now I can relax...

How did I do that? Only three things always help: patience, patience and patience. :cheers:

But I know I have to learn from you much. :wave:

Cheers!

Alexander.

:blink:

Beautiful work on the Nozzle/Burner set you guys. Can't wait to place my order.

OT for Chris: Have you had a chance to compare the new parts on the Trumpeter Flanker 2 seater with your work? I saw a photo of the burner cans/nozzles and they look VERY similar to the Aires corrected nozzles.

Just a thought.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks again for the comments guys :nanner:

I'm not going to announce a price for the tailcones for a few more days and until I've done a few more castings and determined if there will be a high reject rate. The parts are difficult to cast...
Well I decided on $45 per set. It turns out that they are difficult to cast and I have had a high reject rate and short mold life.

Unfortunately I haven't been selling very many sets at all. I don't think it's due to the price though, 1/32 burners tend to range from $40ish to $60ish for a twin engine, $20ish + for a single engine...

I'm guessing it's the fact that the Trumpeter kits are K and M versions and just not very popular kits. And the economy isn't helping either...

I'm back on the Revell correction (which I hope sells better or I'll be looking for a new job!) after taking time off to get the Trump exhausts into full production as well as working on my YF-23 a little :salute:

I've almost finished one side of the corrected stabilator mount:

MiG_fix_25.jpg

MiG_fix_26.jpg

Though the part looks complicated it should actually be pretty easy for the user to install. The cuts are relatively easy and the seams are minimal with a big one being located under the vert stab.

MiG_fix_27.jpg

OT for Chris: Have you had a chance to compare the new parts on the Trumpeter Flanker 2 seater with your work?
This was previously discussed in another thread (>>>here<<<). I have since seen them in-person, though still in the kit bags and not side-by-side with my correction parts and this just further convinced me that they were copies...
I have just the kit waiting to be made, the interiors by TAC are already in my hands so now I will wait for the ehxausts

Roberto

Is this the same as the CAM cockpit?

Could somebody please either post pictures of the TAC (/CAM?) cockpit(s?)or e-mail them to me?

I've gotten lots of requests for a cockpit and would like to see what else is available.

CAM bought the old TAC Scale Dynamics molds. The MiG-29 pit is the same.

I've built it before it was a nice pit. I just received another one from John's Models, they are in stock for only $29.99 plus shipping. Now if I could only find the ROG kit, I'll be set to order the Zacto set when available.

Earlier ARC Review of CAM Cockpit

Edited by etripke
Thanks again for the comments guys :whistle:

Well I decided on $45 per set. It turns out that they are difficult to cast and I have had a high reject rate and short mold life.

Unfortunately I haven't been selling very many sets at all. I don't think it's due to the price though, 1/32 burners tend to range from $40ish to $60ish for a twin engine, $20ish + for a single engine...

I'm guessing it's the fact that the Trumpeter kits are K and M versions and just not very popular kits. And the economy isn't helping either...

I'm back on the Revell correction (which I hope sells better or I'll be looking for a new job!) after taking time off to get the Trump exhausts into full production as well as working on my YF-23 a little :cheers:

I've almost finished one side of the corrected stabilator mount:

MiG_fix_25.jpg

MiG_fix_26.jpg

Though the part looks complicated it should actually be pretty easy for the user to install. The cuts are relatively easy and the seams are minimal with a big one being located under the vert stab.

MiG_fix_27.jpg

This was previously discussed in another thread (>>>here<<<). I have since seen them in-person, though still in the kit bags and not side-by-side with my correction parts and this just further convinced me that they were copies...

Is this the same as the CAM cockpit?

Could somebody please either post pictures of the TAC (/CAM?) cockpit(s?)or e-mail them to me?

I've gotten lots of requests for a cockpit and would like to see what else is available.

:salute:

Zacto,

The CAM/Tac Scale pit isn't bad, and was the only choice on the market, but is refinement as far as the detail is lacking compared to modern aftermarket pits. That to be expected, considering the original came out in the early-mid 90's. It also used PE parts to build up the IP on a blank resin part. Compared to the kit parts, its a big improvement, but really its not up to current standards. Also, it seems much of the stuff that Jons Models had taken over is not of the same quality as when Tac and CAM were still doing the work. I have heard stories about folks ordering the stuff from Jons and getting miscast parts that look as if the molds are shot (ala BB and True Details).

I do worry that you may be getting deeper into a money losing propositon with the Mig-29 stuff. As you said, sales of the Trump kits were hindered by poor choice of version, and the Revell kit will require so much to correct (and with the economy being what it is) that I would think breaking even on the correction sets is going to be very difficult. Now we know why so many companies stick with German Tiger tanks, Sherman, P-51's, ME-109, etc... They always sell.

Edited by jburch

Hi Chris, nice work on the stabilator connection point. That's gonna save us some work :cheers:

Here are a few quick pics of the CAM set #32-009 for the Revell MIG-29A

I'm missing the left hand console because I bought this set very cheaply from a local model show (just in case..... :whistle: )

tn_CAMcockpitdetails2.jpg

tn_CAMcockpitdetails3.jpg

tn_CAMcockpitdetails7.jpg

tn_CAMcockpitdetails6.jpg

tn_CAMcockpitdetails14.jpg

Edited by geedubelyer