1/32 MiG-29 Details and corrections

Thanks again for the comments guys :thumbsup:

Well I decided on $45 per set. It turns out that they are difficult to cast and I have had a high reject rate and short mold life.

Unfortunately I haven't been selling very many sets at all. I don't think it's due to the price though, 1/32 burners tend to range from $40ish to $60ish for a twin engine, $20ish + for a single engine...

I'm guessing it's the fact that the Trumpeter kits are K and M versions and just not very popular kits. And the economy isn't helping either...

:worship:

I think you hit the nail on the head here. The exhausts are the sort of thing that I would normally buy, but I just wasn't interested in the versions Trumpeter kitted enough to spring for $45 of new exhausts for the ones I have. I think you'll have a lot better luck with the Revell MiG-29 correction set, as long as it doesn't get too big and expensive trying to correct everything that's wrong with the kit.

The Revell set is what I'm saving my money for, as I suspect that others are doing the same. The exhausts needed to be made anyway. Those that don't get sold by themselves for the Trumpeter kits will get sold with the Revell set, I think.

Thanks for the clarification on the TAC/CAM cockpit guys and thanks so much for the great pics Guy :wub: Those will serve as some great inspiration and motivation if I do end up doing a pit!

I think you'll have a lot better luck with the Revell MiG-29 correction set, as long as it doesn't get too big and expensive trying to correct everything that's wrong with the kit.
Thanks Dave B)

I'm trying to resist correcting everything! I'm doing my best to fix the difficult stuff and show how to fix the other areas that need fixing.

I do worry that you may be getting deeper into a money losing propositon with the Mig-29 stuff...the Revell kit will require so much to correct (and with the economy being what it is) that I would think breaking even on the correction sets is going to be very difficult.
Fortunately a big portion of my sales are from return customers. :cheers: You should try!
Now we know why so many companies stick with German Tiger tanks, Sherman, P-51's, ME-109, etc... They always sell
I'm not your average company... B)
The Revell set is what I'm saving my money for, as I suspect that others are doing the same. The exhausts needed to be made anyway. Those that don't get sold by themselves for the Trumpeter kits will get sold with the Revell set, I think.

Yup...that's what I am waiting for too.

Hi, Chris! That's great! Very nice updates! Step by step,li'l by li'l you will build one day a new Fulcrum to replace a Revell's one completely. :wub:

I wish you good luck with your great project and hope you will get a good income soon.

Alexander.

B)

One thing that I'll note on the cockpit front, is that there are better seats available - both from Aires - one is the Aires set proper that has PE belts, and then the other is from Quickboost that has molded on belt detail. One thing you could consider is just packing one of those in with the cockpit, or leaving it out.

I know that makes for an incomplete set, but at some level there's no point to re-inventing the wheel... I already have extras of the K-36 in my aftermarket stocks for just such a project.

All the stuff looks superb Chris - can't wait!

Paul

Fortunately a big portion of my sales are from return customers. :D You should try!

Sorry, I put most of my 1/32 dollars into Tamiya 1/32 F-16's, thinking there would be some goodies ...oh never mind The Mig stuff is very nice though :cheers:

Edited by jburch

:)!

Sorry, I put most of my 1/32 dollars into Tamiya 1/32 F-16's, thinking there would be some goodies ...oh never mind The Mig stuff is very nice though :woot.gif:
F-16?

Give me some extra time on that... :wave:

Starting on the right stabilator attachment.

Here's a crude but effective alignment jig:

MiG_fix_28.jpg

Almost there!

:)

I thought they designed it that way to make it harder to model...

But Revell have found the easy way out. :D

Hey, Chris! Your update is awesome. I still suspect that you've managed to replace the Revell's

Mig completely. :thumbsup:

Cheers!

Starting on the right stabilator attachment.

Here's a crude but effective alignment jig...

And thus I cursed myself ;)

What a headache that turned out to be!

It turns out that my kit was slightly warped as well as being slightly asymmetrical.

I ended up breaking the pattern apart several times and re-doing it until it was right. I also managed to stab myself in the finger tip while doing so. The sacrifices I make for you guys... B)

As a result of the asymmetry, one of the correction pieces is slightly longer than the other but it's nothing that will show on the finished model...

One side finished. The other will be soon.

MiG_fix_29.jpg

Before/after:

MiG_fix_30.jpg

:coolio:

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't made much progress lately. Been busy doing other things...

I got my vacform tools back from Tigger as he can't do my canopies any more and I've been trying to perfect the vacforming process and fill back-orders for those who have been waiting for A-7 and Su-27 parts. I hope to be all caught up in a few more days.

I did manage to pour molds on some of the parts though.

Here are the first castings so far:

MiG_fix_31.jpg

So far so good!

IRST is coming along slowly...

MiG_fix_32.jpg

:D

This project continues to come along superbly! Will be looking forward to getting a set for myself! I figure I'll get half way through the project and we'll get a completely updated MiG-29 in 1/32... But that's okay, your stuff is better than what we could expect from the kit companies!

Aha! Step by step, little by little, a new coming kit is not too far behind the horizon. ;)

It's time considering a new fuselage? :D

Great job, Chris! The result of great patience and skill!

Cheers!

Alexander.

:cheers:

Another problem area is the rear canopy and hinges.

The canopy frame should extend further back and the hinges should be larger. The clear portion of the rear canopy needs to be moved forward a bit.

MiG_fix_34.jpg

I'll be including a piece to extend the canopy and enlarge the hinges.

MiG_fix_36.jpg

The fuselage will need to be trimmed to allow it to fit.

MiG_fix_35.jpg

The added piece will need to be glued and puttied to the canopy and a new line will need to be scribed (or just masked) where the rear of the glass should end.

:thumbsup: