1/32 MiG-29 Details and corrections

Another problem area is the rear canopy and hinges.

The canopy frame should extend further back and the hinges should be larger. The clear portion of the rear canopy needs to be moved forward a bit.

MiG_fix_34.jpg

I'll be including a piece to extend the canopy and enlarge the hinges.

MiG_fix_36.jpg

The fuselage will need to be trimmed to allow it to fit.

MiG_fix_35.jpg

The added piece will need to be glued and puttied to the canopy and a new line will need to be scribed (or just masked) where the rear of the glass should end.

;)

One more trouble is that the rear canopy is too deep.

Fuselage area right under the canopy must be rised whilst some material removed from the

bottom part of the canopy. :thumbsup:

Step by step...to the new kit!

Cheers!

Alexander.

B)

One more trouble is that the rear canopy is too deep.

Fuselage area right under the canopy must be rised whilst some material removed from the

bottom part of the canopy. :whistle:

Yes...As previously mentioned, the whole plane needs at least some correction.

Some builders may want to go the extra mile and make those additional corrections but there's only so much I can do...

I'll be sure to include some notes on additional corrections that can be made by the modeler in the instruction sheet(s). I'd appreciate your input on those additional fixes!

:cheers:

• 2 weeks later...

Another small correction, the APU inlet:

MiG_fix_37.jpg

Markus (Shorty84) has started a massive conversion in the in-progress forum where he is combining the Trumpeter MiG-29M and the Revell MiG-29A to make a corrected MiG-29A. A very ambitious project that will be interesting to watch! Check it out >>>here<<<.

I'm hoping that once he sees all the correcetions that I am doing on the Revell kit he will want to scrap his project and just use my correction set :worship:

One of the first things he did was address the spine.

The spine on the Revell kit slightly bulges up where instead it should have a slight dip. It's a subtle difference but it adds to the character of the plane.

Option A would be to leave the kit as is:

MiG_fix_38.jpg

Option B would be for you to correct it. I will be including drawings with templates showing how to do this. It will require reinforcing the insides of the spine with superglue so you can rescribe the lost details.

MiG_fix_39.jpg

Option C, Fulcrum C:

MiG_fix_40.jpg

This will require that you cut a section of the fuselage away to fit the conversion part.

MiG_fix_41.jpg

The wingtips will also need to be replaced. I'll be getting to those soon.

Hey decal guys, are you watching?

MiG_fix_42.jpg

B)

Edited by Zactoman

I admire your passion and the time you've thrown into this project, but I wonder if this isn't heading for massive super expensive conversion space? Seems like it started out with fixing the big things like the exhaust issues, nosecone, closed upper intakes, and chaff dispensers, but now it's morphed into adding tailplane attachments, wingtips, intake doors, a new spine, and there is even talk of a cockpit set. Don't get me wrong, I'd love all of this stuff, but I wonder how much will it cost in the end? Early on in this thread, you mentioned that you thought the cost of your set plus the Revell kit would be a lot less than the Trumpeter kit. Is still looking like that will be true? The reason I ask is that for me, as the price goes up, the number of sets that I would buy goes down.

If you do a -C conversion, you might want to consider getting someone to do decals and including them with the conversion itself. I really haven't seen too many decal manufacturers make decal sheets that only work with a an aftermarket conversion. Sales of the decal sheet would be limited to people who actually buy said conversion and kit, and that's a lot less than just buy the kit.

Just a few thoughts.

Another great Zactoman production looks great Chris..........BUT.......

With all that resin, R&D, and labor, which all add up to what I hope will not be in the "meteor productions phantom conversion pricing" stratosphere!

:thumbsup:

I can see Revell 32nd Fulcrums becoming a hard to find commodity now....lol!

Edited by Firecaptain
Chris!!! Thanks for the Fulcrum "C" That is what Trumpeter should have produced in the first place. Count me in for the conversion!

Well we all know what Big T did with the UB.......they might follow on with a C now that Chris has done all the work.....makes it easy for them!

Well we all know what Big T did with the UB.......they might follow on with a C now that Chris has done all the work.....makes it easy for them!

I think there is a big difference there. Trumpeter was always planning on doing a twin seater, they just made some improvements, but basically it's a fairly easy modification of an existing kit. In other words, we would have gotten a -UB whether or not Chris released his corrections.

The Trumpeter MiG-29 are later versions that are much different than the early ones. It's a LOT more work for them to make an early -29 out of their existing mold than it was to make the -UB out of the single seat Flanker. They would have to basically make a new mold.

Edited by Dave Williams

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! New Spine for Fulcrum-C! Far more interesting markings opportunities are now available!

And BTW in regards converting the Trumpeter MiG-29K/M kits, Dave is correct for the 101,746th time!

Edited by pcotcher
I admire your passion and the time you've thrown into this project, but I wonder if this isn't heading for massive super expensive conversion space? Seems like it started out with fixing the big things like the exhaust issues, nosecone, closed upper intakes, and chaff dispensers, but now it's morphed into adding tailplane attachments, wingtips, intake doors, a new spine, and there is even talk of a cockpit set. Don't get me wrong, I'd love all of this stuff, but I wonder how much will it cost in the end? Early on in this thread, you mentioned that you thought the cost of your set plus the Revell kit would be a lot less than the Trumpeter kit. Is still looking like that will be true?
Don't forget the IRST platform, canopy addition and various scoops, humps and bumps...

Yes the correction became more than I had originally planned for, but I still intend to offer it at a reasonable price.

The Revell kit isn't currently available but how much would they retail for? I paid $40 for one at my local hobby shop about 6 months ago. The Trumpeter kit lists for $140 (yes, better deals can be found, especially since they seem to collect dust at hobby shops...).

I never said the combined price would be 'a lot less' but said it 'should be cheaper'. The more I add, the less likely that is, but I think it will still be the case...

The Fulcrum C spine and wingtips will be a separate conversion kit. I'll try to keep the price on it reasonable as well.

Cockpit and wheelwells, also separate kits if I do them. Same story on the price...

If you do a -C conversion, you might want to consider getting someone to do decals and including them with the conversion itself.
I'm hoping the decal manufacturers will step up and offer some markings. Maybe they can include some 9-13 markings on the same sheet with 9-12 markings, I don't know.

I'm not in a position to finance having them included with my conversion and that would also drive the cost of the conversion up.

Worst case scenario, there are several 9-13 that could be done by combining existing decals or making homemade decals...

:cheers:

As Chris noted, seeing 9.13 markings mixed in with 9.12 would be what I expect, largely they're just different badges, etc. Occassionally the national insignia change if you do some smaller AF decals, but by and large, these could be done in one big set.

Chris,

At first I wasn't very interested in this big scale mig, but the C conversion is looking tempting. It has that mean, brawny, steroid'd look, kind of like the Greek f-16 block 52's, but Russian. So who else operates the C besides Algeria? I hope the lack of decals won't pose too much of a challenge.

Terry

Uhhh...this "Fulcrum-C" conversion looks very interesting. I haven´t thought at doing a "Fat-back" Fulcrum before, but now... Any idea how much it will cost in the end?

Thanks for mentioning my build, much appreciated. :thumbsup:

Cheers,

Markus

Now if I can only locate the Revell kit. I bid on one which I found on Ebay, but missed it. I would have bid hard on it had it been bagged and been a complete kit. Does anyone know if there is a significant difference (outside of markings) between the Revell offering and the ROG offering?

Now if I can only locate the Revell kit. I bid on one which I found on Ebay, but missed it. I would have bid hard on it had it been bagged and been a complete kit. Does anyone know if there is a significant difference (outside of markings) between the Revell offering and the ROG offering?

The original Revell offering had the deep engine tunnels and stepped transition piece between them and the intakes. The RoG boxing that I've seen (red, yellow,black German scheme) has the less deep engine tunnels with a smoother transition piece like in the UB kit. All still have the same undersized exhausts, though.

The original Revell offering had the deep engine tunnels and stepped transition piece between them and the intakes. The RoG boxing that I've seen (red, yellow,black German scheme) has the less deep engine tunnels with a smoother transition piece like in the UB kit. All still have the same undersized exhausts, though.

Thanks for the info.