1/32 MiG-29 Details and corrections

Chris,you really should make it a full resin kit,at least exclude the landing gears,etc.

As the Revell kit is too hard to grab,and even if it's available now,it seems they cannot keep the stock always.

BTW,received my PM,buddy?

Cheers,

Yufei

I'm nearly 100% sure that means Zacto or someone else WILL do

a new 'pit that's up to contemporary standards!

Chris, you still plan on the landing gear wells?

I'd still like to do a pit some day. It is still on the list.

I'd love to find a skilled builder that was willing to do the patterns with my help.

I thought I had that in the works but the builder completely disappeared. Unfortunately I lost out on a pretty expensive Ebay MiG and a full set of resin...

Gear wells are also still on the list.

Same deal, Ive got other higher priority things I plan to do first. If you are really anxious to build one now, Eduard has a photo-etch set with gear well details.

Check out this build using my correction set, the TAC Scale cockpit (or CAM?) and the Eduard etch: http://www.flugzeugforum.de/forum/showthread.php?t=57862 (You have to register and be logged in to see the pictures, but it's worth it!).

Decals..... We need decals for the 9-12 and 9-13.
I'm hoping!!! :lol:

Chances would be better if Revell were to re-release the kit. What's the best way to campaign to get them to re-release it?

There are several 9-13 schemes that could probably be done with existing decals. Many of the schemes appear to have little more than national insignia and bort numbers. Zotz roundels of the world is a great start. Linden Hill's Ukrainian Flanker sheet could also be used. There are other sheets out there that might have enough to work for certain schemes.

PS: Have you seen the new YF-23 cockpit pictures?
New? ;) No, I haven't seen any new ones...I'd like to though. PM me about it please!

:woot.gif:

• 1 month later...
CAM makes some MiG-29 decals and they are still available according to their web site. IIRC, one of the aircraft on the sheets is actually a 9-13, although not identified as such.

http://www.camdecals.com/main.asp?img=32-146

http://www.camdecals.com/main.asp?img=32-147

Thanks Dave!

We might just have a full sheet of MiG-29s, both Fulcrum A and C in the near future.

I'll be posting info as it becomes available.

Fulcrum C conversion is now available!

Loaded_29.jpg

Order at www.Zactomodels.com!

:worship:

I've been asked a few times in the past about how I would recommend attaching parts such as the wingtips on the Fulcrum C conversion so I put together a little photo tutorial:

1. Measure and scribe where to cut.

In this case I needed to remove the kit wingtip at the outer edge of the aileron. I measured from the aileron to an existing panel line and used this dimension to mark the wing towards the front. I then scribed a line to cut to.

Wingtip1.jpg

2. Cut.

I used a razor saw and just cut close.

Wingtip2.jpg

3. Sand and file to fit.

I use a wooden block with coarse sand paper double-face taped on. I have finer paper on the opposite side.

Wingtip3.jpg

4. Pin it.

I use pieces of straight pins. I drill tight holes in the resin and glue the pins in place. I then mark the locations of the holes in the inboard wing section.

Wingtip4.jpg

5. Drill holes in the wing. Test fit. Enlarge the holes and bend the pins until you get a nice fit.

Wingtip5.jpg

6. Glue.

Be very careful to line the parts up when viewed from the front or back. I glued the rear area first making sure it was aligned, let it cure, then glued the front. If you've got the rear glued and the front doesn't line up you can dunk the part in boiling water and tweak it a bit before gluing the front.

I then glued and filled the entire seam.

Wingtip6.jpg

7. Putty and sand.

In this case the resin was thinner than the plastic so no putty was used other than the super glue I filled the seam with.

Note that I protect the resin part with masking tape while sanding with coarse paper and sand it pretty close. Replace the tape if it tears while you are sanding.

Wingtip7.jpg

Continued in next post.

8. Some 400 grit.

Note that I am now protecting the resin with thinner Scotch tape.

Wingtip8.jpg

9. 600 and 1200 grit.

At this point the parts are almost flush so I'm not covering the resin. I generally dry sand until I get to the 1200 where I wet sand.

Wingtip9.jpg

10. Watercolor wash.

Though this step isn't necessary, I like doing it. The wash helps to show what needs to be re-scribed. I add more washes as I scribe to help judge my progress. I then wash it out with a wet toothbrush when I'm finished.

Wingtip10.jpg

Wingtip11.jpg

11. Re-scribe. As I described earlier in this thread. Note that for wider lines such as the Aileron I use Dymo tape on both sides and an old Tritool scriber.

Wingtip12.jpg

12. Re-rivet. Also as described earlier in this thread. Note that I have transferred the watercolor wash onto a piece of clear tape to use a a guide. You can do this by placing the tape over an existing line of rivets and poking each rivet with a pin. Now lay this tape onto the area you need to re-rivet and lightly poke through the holes with a sharp point. Remove the tape and use larger pins to match the rivet size adjusting the locations if necessary.

Wingtip13.jpg

The finished part:

Wingtip14.jpg

:worship:

Great products as usual,Chris!

If only I choose another bigger scale instead of a tiny 1/72 ones which I just finished......

BTW,broken link of your homepage in your reply above.

BTW again,why not print those step-by-step on your instrcution sheet?I'm a traditional man who would be stick to hardware storage instead on online things.:)

Cheers,

Yufei

The correction set and the 9-13 conversion both look great! :bandhead2:

When I get around to building mine I know I want to do a heavily weathered example, so a 9-13 may be what I need.

I will have to do a little more research on this matter. :bandhead2:

Cheers,

Anders

• 1 year later...

Hello Chris,

I´m not sure if someone asked this question, but did your intake tunnels and new nozzles fit also on the MiG-29UB kits? If I remember right, the UB have a different intake-tunnel-nozzle shape <_< Revell of Germany is re-realised their MiG-29UB in October this year. Revell wrote in the description that they retooled the nozzle area... :rolleyes:

Any words about the wheel bays?

I think the MiG-29 correction set works with all of the boxings of the Revell kit. Revell did tweak the rear part of the engine tunnels for the initial UB release, but that modified lower fuselage section was used for the later single- seater reissues. IIRC, only the original US Revell single seater release had a different lower fuselage mold.

Edit: Looking more closely at kits, the UB lower fuselage and revised single seater lower fuselage are not the same mold. There are detail differences in between the engine tunnels that show they are not the same mold, plus the nose sections are different. However, they did revise the depth of the rear of the engine tunnels on the single seater lower fuselage to make it like the UB lower.

Edited by Dave Williams
  • 2 weeks later...
Great work Chris, sorry if this is a bit off-topic, will you be making any resin wheels for the Mig 21F, and a recce pod for the Mig 21R?
Any words about the (Mig-29) wheel bays?
Ah, the ever-growing list. Already there and /or added...

I have some other projects that will be coming first though.

Coming soon!!! :banana:

Full length intakes:

29_intake_1.jpg

29_intake_2.jpg

29_intake_3.jpg

I've taken the forward intake section that Alexander tooled for his RevelloTrump build and merged them with the center section of my previous correction.

These new parts will soon be included in the full correction set.

These parts will also be available to those who have already purchased the correction set.

Details coming soon!

I´m not sure if someone asked this question, but did your intake tunnels and new nozzles fit also on the MiG-29UB kits?
As Dave said, my intake and tunnel parts can be used to improve any of the Revell boxings.

I will soon have a correction set available specifically for the MiG-29UB.

Details coming soon!

:cheers:

Zacto - when do you figure you might have them available? I don't want to miss the boat on these ones. I got your correction sets from the first part of the Mig 29's now I jus need the other set too and I'm broke :woot.gif: just kidding!

Thanks,

Tricose

Zacto - when do you figure you might have them available?
Very soon I hope.

I am currently trying to solve some molding problems and will be doing up an instruction revision as soon as I can get to it.

These parts will also be available to those who have already purchased the correction set.

Details coming soon!

Details coming soon!

Sweet! I've got two of the original correction sets and am looking forward to the UB set.

29_intake_3.jpg

I've taken the forward intake section that Alexander tooled for his RevelloTrump build and merged them with the center section of my previous correction.

These new parts will soon be included in the full correction set.

Details coming soon!

As Dave said, my intake and tunnel parts can be used to improve any of the Revell boxings.

Details coming soon!

Wow! That's great! Chris, you eventually did it! Congrats, my friend! I'm happy that my tool occurred to be very helpful. ;)

I think, sooner or later, we gonna have a perfect all resin big scale Mig-29 kit. ;)

Cheers and happy tooling!

Alexander

:beer4:

Details coming soon!

Details coming soon!

Excellent news!! But I think we need new OLEK parts. MiG-29UB have a different fuselage shape! The complete intake tunnel looks awesome Chris :woot.gif: