I don't know about Easy Off on clear parts. But if you have Future on the canopy, try Windex. It takes off Future and acrylic paints and doesn't mess up the clear parts.

Ed

I don't know about Easy Off on clear parts. But if you have Future on the canopy, try Windex. It takes off Future and acrylic paints and doesn't mess up the clear parts.

Ed

Thanks Ed, I think I used MM enamel for the top coat. It was some time ago, I think I need the power of Easy Off to do the job.

Ryan

Ryan,

Go to Wal-Mart or Autozone or someplace and get yourself a jug of SuperClean Degreaser and an appropriate-sized plastic container (The 99-cent shoebox size works great for most models, or the 6qt for larger stuff).

I've used EasyOff on canopies before, and it fogs the durn things up every time. I've used the SC stuff for the past year or so, and it's a dream - several canopies, no fogging, no crazing, and it makes MM enamels almost litterally slide off.

Mike

Ryan,

Go to Wal-Mart or Autozone or someplace and get yourself a jug of SuperClean Degreaser and an appropriate-sized plastic container (The 99-cent shoebox size works great for most models, or the 6qt for larger stuff).

I've used EasyOff on canopies before, and it fogs the durn things up every time. I've used the SC stuff for the past year or so, and it's a dream - several canopies, no fogging, no crazing, and it makes MM enamels almost litterally slide off.

Mike

Thanks Mike, I have never tried that product, I'll give it a whirl. Does it take a while to dissolve the paint?

Ryan

I'll have to give that degreaser a try; I attempted to do the salt method for chipped paint, and it didn't work, so I want to strip my kit down to the bare plastic and start over.

Ryan,

I honestly don't know what the "minimum" time is for the stuff. I just drop parts in after dinner and usually don't take them out until the next afternoon. I've even left a canopy in for over a week (oops) with no clouding at all. Haven't tried it on resin, but I know styrene is safe from this stuff. A gallon jug of it at Wal Mart is about $6.50.

Just make sure you wear gloves, 'cause it will turn your skin into goo. A box of unpowdered latex gloves will only set you back a couple of bucks.

Here's a link to an article about stripping paint, too: Paint Stripping Comparison

Mike

I haven't tried alcohol yet, have to do that sometime. My only concern here would be alcohol's rate of evaporation - you'd have to keep it sealed or it'll evaporate away.

Oh yeah, the other "plus" to SCD is that you can re-use it... My 6-quart rubbermaid container is full of stuff from a year and 6 stripped kits ago (kids + finger paints + open display shelves do NOT mix!), and it's still good.

Mike

It shouldn't cause a problem. I've never had a problem with Easy Off fogging clear plastic. But I'd suggest trying some on the clear sprue first, just to be absolutely, double-super-sure.

You know, you might give windex a try if you first prepped the canopy parts in future, like many folks do these days. If the future formed the inside layer, then it is possible that the windex might dissolve the future and release everything on top of it too (including the enamel paint). It's probably worth a shot since it's so easy if you did soak the canopy parts in future first.

JON

You know, you might give windex a try if you first prepped the canopy parts in future, like many folks do these days. If the future formed the inside layer, then it is possible that the windex might dissolve the future and release everything on top of it too (including the enamel paint). It's probably worth a shot since it's so easy if you did soak the canopy parts in future first.

JON

Good point Jon :D , I indeed prepped the parts in Future....I should try the Windex soak first.

Thanks everyone for the help.

Ryan

As long as Future is the base coat, it doesn't matter what you put on top. A 24 hour soaking of windex will remove everything and not affect the canopy. With the amount of practice I have at screwing up canopies, I know. Use with confidence.

Edited by Huey Gunner

The Windex worked! The paint peeled right off as if it was a decal, with no damage to the canopy.

I am right back at the point before I screwed it up...thanks to the Windex time machine. (and the Future base coat)

Ryan

The Windex worked! The paint peeled right off as if it was a decal, with no damage to the canopy.

I am right back at the point before I screwed it up...thanks to the Windex time machine. (and the Future base coat)

Ryan

YES! Gotta love it when things work out... That's one of the benefits of the future base coat, too, is that if things get mucked up you can start back at the beginning with a little window cleaner. Gotta love it. :)

Good luck on the future progress -

JON

Ryan,

Mike

Thats a Castrol product right??

Thats a Castrol product right??

Used to be. My local wally-world doesn't have any jugs left on them that say "castrol" any more. All it says is "SUPER CLEAN" in nice big letters on the label. If "Castrol" is still there, it's in small print.

Nice big purple jug. (hmmm... wonder if there's a better way to put this...)