Longbow Apache AH-64D (Italeri 1/72)

What should I know before start the Italeri's Longbow AH-64D?

Well, the cockpit is still that of an 'A, with old style steam gauges for instruments, so you could add the MFD's. And the aft end of the sponsons aren't correct for a production machine.

See this thread.

Cheers,

Andre

The markings on the box are for one of the prototypes. As Andre pointed out, the cockpit is still the Alpha cockpit, so you'd have a significant amount of work to bring it up to current Longbow spec. The MPDs are just the first step. Side consoles are completely different in the Longbow too.

Plus, the aft end of each EFAB ("avionics sponsons") is aerodynamically faired on the prototype, but there are large evaporators on the aft ends on production machines. Not too difficult a mod, but it takes time to get those compound curves right.

Jon

Does anyone have some pics of the corect sponsons they could post? I'm just getting started on the Hobby Boss AH-64D and I think that has the same incorrect end as the Italeri kit although the cockpit does look like it was updated.

Thanks

If you go to Airliners(??).net and/or JetPhotos you can search for AH-64D and there are several good pics showing the ends of the side pods, that's where I got mine from, so I cannot post them. I am also using them for reference for the HobbyBoss kit with some progress pics in the group build section. The construction stalled at the mods to the side pods since there is a screen over the openings and it is very fine, BUT, after reading a post on the 72nd Armour discussion board I picked up some wedding ribbon from Michaels and the mesh is very fine - 2 square openings per mm!!!

Here's a couple shots:

1/6 Cav in Korea, circa 2003. Covers installed on the evaporator vents.

bobstuff025.jpg

One of the Rucker birds. Had one of the evaporator screens replaced recently

21AugustFlight00302-5332.jpg

I've got a few more, but that should give you a good idea until I get my laptop back on Sunday.

Jon

Not to throw out a shameless plug, but just about everything you need is in the new Squadron AH-64 Walkaround written by yours truly.

Jon

I didn't know you did that one, if the power ever comes back on at home (its been out since Saturday) I'll add it to my next order.

Can you explain what are "sponsons", or point them in the above pictures?

These are the fairings on the lower side of the forward fuselage where the main landing gear attaches. In Jons second picture they go from the yellow vent area to the "32C".

HTH,

Andre

That is just the aft end of the EFAB (what everyone here refers to as sponsons) The whole thing starts at the front of the helicopter, runs along the side of the fuselage and ends at the evaporators, which you pointed out in those photos.

Man, I miss my Longbow...

Jon

• 5 years later...

Sorry to resurrect and OLD thread....but I just picked this kit up on clearance @ hobby lobby and have another question: is it a rebox of another manufacturer? i ask because i'm looking into collecting some aftermarket parts and am curious if the eduard sets for the hobby boss or hasegawa kits will fit...